Science and Inquiry discussion

Book Club 2010 & Prior > Discussion books

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William (acknud) I have put a list of 11 books together to vote on. If anyone wants to send me other suggestions then I will put a poll up in a couple of days. It is sort of late in the month because people will have to find books and everything. Does everyone want to make the read for March or is there enough time to get it going for Feb?

message 2: by JuliAnna (new)

JuliAnna | 37 comments A couple of books have been suggested in another thread:
[Book: The Invention of Air] and Physics for Future Presidents.

If you are only including history of science, then only the first one would be relevant.

message 3: by William (new)

William (acknud) I am trying to make the first list cover a broad topic range to get us going. We can try to narrow it down for subsequent reads.

message 4: by Dan (new)

Dan (djunger) | 25 comments Re whether to start in Feb or March -- if the book chosen is short/easy-to-read enough we could discuss it say starting the second week of Feb and then pick a longer work for March. Both the ones mentioned so far are under 250 pages so probably good candidates (and I doubt either are overly technical). Anyway, just a thought.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 364 comments That sounds doable.

message 6: by William (new)

William (acknud) I just posted a new poll regarding the discussion book.

message 7: by Sarah Jane (new)

Sarah Jane I propose Blood: An Epic History of Medicine and Commerce for a future vote. It's rather lengthy, but I hear it's quite good.

message 8: by AER (new)

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Black | 39 comments I voted for Zero, but The Invention of Air also looked good. Could we possibly take the top three or four, reading one a month or so? This way we'll know what we're reading ahead of time.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 364 comments We might want to start a voting list on Listopia - I think you can limit the voting to group members, now.

That way we could keep track of it, month to month, and group members could add new titles easily.