Volunteer State Book Award 2009-2010 (YA Division) discussion

Life As We Knew It

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela | 5 comments I LOVED this book. I'd put it in my top 10 favorites I've read this school year. Was totally drawn in and sorry when it was over! It felt very original to me (but then I don't read much sci fi). It is sci fi for those who don't love sci fi! I could definitely see this being a VSBA favorite--the students I've recommended it to have loved it. A fellow librarian thought it was just OK, which surprised me because I was so completely taken with it.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm with you, I absolutely loved this book, and I know I wasn't the only one to recommend it. I tell every girl who asks for a good book to read this one, and now I can direct the boys to The Dead And The Gone. (not that it should be gender specific...just middle school kids who won't read a book unless the main character is the same sex as them)

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela | 5 comments Hey MeMe, I'm really looking forward to Dead and Gone! That's a good thought about boy/girl books. At HVA it's not so much an issue as it was in middle school, but we still have some kids who prefer same-sex books. Hope all is well for you at FMS!

message 4: by Jackie (last edited Jan 20, 2010 08:51AM) (new)

Jackie | 1 comments I've read both Life As We Knew It and Dead and Gone and I was riveted by both. There is so much meat here to discuss with students. Really loved these books.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mrswilkinson) | 2 comments I also loved Life As We Knew It! I thought it was the best of the YA this year. Spooky: volcanos with ash in Iceland, earthquakes in Haiti and Chili, etc.

Volunteer State Book Award 2009-2010 (YA Division)

unread topics | mark unread