Undeniable and Undiscovered Thrillers discussion

Books > James Rollins's Subterranean

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy | 2 comments Subterranean by James Rollins

I started James Rollins's Subterranean a few days ago. I'm about 50 pages in. Anybody have any thoughts about it?

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike I started it, but just couldn't get into the story. Sounded like a great concept. Maybe it's just me--I've heard good review of it.

message 3: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy | 2 comments I finished it a few days ago, now. I never really got into the story, but I kept reading because that's the way I am. The last 70 or 80 pages were probably the best in the book, which I was grateful for. I think I'm going to try his next book (whatever it is). Something about him reminds me a lot of Michael Crichton. I remember reading five or six Crichtons before I "got" him and really started enjoying his books. Maybe Rollins will be the same way.

message 4: by John (new)

John Stipa | 9 comments I agree with Dallas. As Rollins' first thriller, Subterranean is a winner. There were several places in the story where he left me hanging with suspense to move to another parallel sub-plot that ended in its own cliffhanger which hooked me into turning pages. That ability is an art unto itself so I applaud him for that. Characters are likeable, the writing tight. It was difficult to suspend belief on some of the "abilities" demonstrated by his characters and certain other coincidences seemed too perfect, but otherwise it's a good read. If this is Rollins' first thriller, I'm looking forward to later works where he's polished his skill! Worth reading.

message 5: by John (new)

John Stipa | 9 comments I just finished The Doomsday Key and really enjoyed how Rollins' writing has improved since Subterranean. His ability to juggle multiple story lines at a hectic pace was thoroughly enjoyable. Now I'll be much more likely to go back and read some of the earlier Sigma stories.

Undeniable and Undiscovered Thrillers

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Subterranean (other topics)