The Descent (Descent, #1) The Descent discussion

One of the best reads ever..

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leon (last edited Jan 21, 2009 03:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leon This is one of the best stories I have ever had the pleasure to read. After several copies(all of which were lent out and never returned) I now have a copy which will never leave my home. If you like a mix of thrills, chills, excitement, tension and also romance, then this book is for you. I personally have read this story numerous times and just writing this now has inspired me to pick it up again now...

... by the way don't be put off by the pitiful film, based on a fraction of the introduction to the novel.

eucarya I'm pretty sure the film "The Descent," which I thought was very good, is not related to this book. The two just share the same title and both take place in caves.

message 3: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay One of my Top 20 books ever. Exciting and scary! Many times I purchase books, read them, yawn and give them away. Not this one! Kept it and re-read it. Don't read it at night alone unless you double lock the doors and windows. :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

loved, loved, loved the book period, exclamation point :)

Hazel try the sequel, Deeper. I'd say its not as good, but its still damn good.

Stuart This was the fist book in probably over a decade that I couldn't finish, it was just so ridiculous IMHO

Aura I am very happy that I initially mistook the book for the story of the Descent, the film. Found out very quickly that it had very little to do with the film, and could not put it down until it was finished. Ditto for the sequel although would have to agree that the first book was better. Still, very different from everything else I have read so far, the only book that come close are by Adam Nevill - the atmosphere felt similar.

Jonathan This was my first read by this author and I'm looking forward to reading more. I was a bit let down when the Haddi went berserk on the worlds forces underground and then, *poof*, it is a few years later. What's up with that?! Oh well, the story kept me coming back and the scares are there. Pretty good book!

message 9: by Elizabeth (last edited Jul 03, 2012 03:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elizabeth Reuter Loved this. Long is one of my literary inspirations for invoking fear with words; few do it better.

I liked the sequel just as well, but can understand why others didn't. Descent is mostly scientific, while Deeper goes into supernatural territory, a departure from the first book.

I admire that Long could do both science-based horror and supernatural horror so well, though. ^^

-Elizabeth Reuter
Author, The Demon of Renaissance Drive

Stuart Stuart wrote: "This was the fist book in probably over a decade that I couldn't finish, it was just so ridiculous IMHO"

Honestly, this book is terrible, am I the only person who thought it was unreadable?

message 11: by Karl (new) - rated it 1 star

Karl I thought it was probably one of the WORST books I've ever read. I barely managed to finish it.
The thing that struck me though... there are parts of it that are... not so bad. The opening chapter, the little interstitial scenes between the main story... I kind of liked those. They felt like short little stories that were written by someone else... while the main part of the book felt like a wannabe-Crichton hack grasping at a movie deal.

I loved the (completely unrelated) movie... though the sequel was horrid/bad/wrong/crap.

Stuart Karl wrote: "I thought it was probably one of the WORST books I've ever read. I barely managed to finish it.
The thing that struck me though... there are parts of it that are... not so bad. The opening chapter..."

Oh yeah, 'The Descent' as a film is fantastic, classic underground horror film. Just happens to be totally different from this terrible book :)

message 13: by Dean (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dean MacAllister I love The Descent. It totally took me inside that world. And Deeper took me deeper. Intimidating stuff.

message 14: by Andy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andy Lang An interesting variety of comments! Personally, this is one of my favourite books.

Adrian Martinez For those of you who enjoyed the book, I started a fan site for it! I also had the good fortune to interview Jeff Long about his new book. Check it out:

http://hadals.tumblr.com