College Students! discussion

Life (Non-college/book talk) > What is your Heritage?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Jan 20, 2009 09:14PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I am half German(mom's side)/half French(dad's side).

message 2: by Janet (new)

Janet Oh geeze! Well I am a quarter Hispanic and part Norweigen. My last name/my grandpa is Scotch-Irish. My mom's grandpa was adopted so we don't know what he was. Haha.

Ok so I have Mexican, Norwiegen, Scotch- Irish, and a little of a lot of other random stuff! Haha :)

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn yay! melting pot of america! :]

I'm 1/4 Latvian which I think is cool (my grandma is full) and that is the only percentage I know for a fact.
I'm lots and lots of English/Irish/Scotch.
I'm also a tad German and Belgian.

message 4: by Bree (new)

Bree (breezybaby) | 144 comments I'm Scottish, Welsh, and I think English.

message 5: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
hmm..i'm alot Irish, some Scottish, Welsh, Norwegian, and a little bit Native American Indian..weird..you could never tell with me..I definitely took more of my dad's Irish (aka WHITE AS CAN BE AND BURNS IF NEAR THE SUN) rather than that nice Native American tan..but if you see pictures of my mom's dad(whom i've never met because he died before i was born) he looks straight up like an Indian! It's great. I'm so into learning about my heritage..i recently started making my family tree..i got really into that because i found out i was related to Jackie O and I wanted to figure out how!

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I'm a lot of things--German, Irish, Italian, French, Scottish, Portuguese, Cherokee Indian (but who isn't in Oklahoma?), English, and Scot-Irish.

I think my ancestors must have married for love and tore apart their families...kind of a Romeo and Juliet thing, except they lived.

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen | 111 comments nothing too exciting... mostly all German with a little bit of Irish and English thrown in there.

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments I'm also a lot of different things. From my mom's side I am Swedish and English. My dad's side I am Greek, Scottish and something else, but not completely sure because my grandfather's dad died when he was a baby. We think he was German-Swiss.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

i was born in st. petersburg Russia so obviously i am a russian and lived in israel for 2 years but my grandparents still live there

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 143 comments I have some Japanese and Irish in me. weird mix i know.

message 11: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments My Papa (Great Grandpa) like to refer to us as American Mutts. lol. I am Norwegian, Italian, English, Jewish, Scottish, and Danish. Mostly Norwegian and Italian. You'd never know by looking at me though.

message 12: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I think of myself as a mutt, so I understand. I guess I am closest to Jamie. I do know a little on my fathers side, Scottish and German and other I am probably not aware of. My mothers father was Native American, or at least his father was, and her mother was adopted so we have no clue.
I also have the icky white skin that the thought of sun makes it red, and dark hair. Noone believes my hair color is natural.

message 13: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
has anyone else done a family tree ever?
it's amazing the things you can find out.
sometimes weird things that you probably don't want to know..
but one really cool thing..my halfsister was doing our family tree and one for her mom's side..and on her mom's side there was an ancestor during the Salem Witch trials and apparently she was one of the main "witches" and if you go somewhere up there they have her house on a tour. its crazy!

message 14: by Lynn (new)

Lynn haha Tami I'm the same way .. I'm very pale and have really dark hair which everyone thinks I dye.

Jamie, I did a family tree in high school. I was super obsessed with genealogy and the library where I worked had some free genealogy databases. With the help of an already started family tree tracing back to one ancestor coming to Maryland from England in the 1700s, I made it branch out even wider and even got back to the 1500s in England. But I never found out anything really cool. And sadly this was all on my dad's side. I can only get to my great-great grandparents on my mom's side b/c her mom is an immigrant and we can't find any records and her dad died before I was born and I just can't find anything.

message 15: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen I'm 100% Armenian. Any other Armenians on here?

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments I've done my family tree. We've gone back like ten generations on every side. We have a few cool stories. The first one is that my Great-Great-Great Grandpa on my dads side was Francisco Pastore. He came over here from Italy. But at the time Italians couldn't get jobs. So he decided to change their name. A few years back he had fallen into a river and couldn't swim a black man named Turner jumped in and saved him, and that’s how we went from being Pastores to Turners. Ok well I at least think it’s a cool story.... :)
Another fun story is that I have a something-Great Grandpa that was an old sea captain, apparently he was such a jerk his crew mutinied and threw him overboard. On his records it says "buried at sea"

message 17: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I'm about half Norwegian and half a mix of other things. I've been thinking of doing a family tree for the past year or so but I have no idea where to start!

message 18: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Jamie:
I am totally into genealogy! I had to make a family tree for my Marriage and Family Relationships class, and I got super into it. I found all of these famous people that I'm related to, so it's pretty cool. Researching gets really addicting! I've traced my genealogy waaay back. I've also met a bunch of long lost relatives of mine that are into genealogy too, so they've shared pictures and stories with me along with a bunch of other stuff. Oh, and I'm related to someone who was murdered in the Salem Witch Trials too! Her name was Martha Carrier (originally Martha Allen).
Anyway, off on a tangent.
I'm all sorts of different things: Irish/French/German/Norwegian/English/Austrian/Bohemian.
If anybody is interested in some free awesome genealogy websites, these two have helped me tremendously:
familysearch.org
rootsweb.com

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments My mom was super into genealogy when I was growing up- we have stacks of binders at home with info on both sides of my family - but mostly hers. I'm related to Old King Cole (apparently he was real?? haha) and Lady Godiva.. she rode through the streets of England on her horse naked. And now she has a chocolate named after her. There are also tons of old photos that she and her sisters found in their research. One of my distant aunts was 7 feet tall! The family photos with her in it are sooo funny.

That is really interesting that a couple of you have relatives that were involved in the Salem Witch Trials. I live about 45 minutes from Salem and really love learning about all of that. It's a really cool place to visit around Halloween if you ever get the chance.

message 20: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen There was a tailor named Tom who was the only person to look at Lady Godiva, and that is where they get the phrase "peeping Tom." At least that is what I've heard.

message 21: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Heather, have you read the Heretic's Daughter? It was set during the trials. If you have and have read anything similar, let me know. I really enjoyed that book.

My fathers family has actual books printed with stories and pictures and rough outlines on who is related and how.

My moms is more difficult. Her mother was adopted in the 1920's and records are a little hard to come by, and her fathers grandparents were Native American and adopted a "white mans name" for their last name, so not much in the line of records there either.

message 22: by Bri (new)

Bri (bumblebri89) I'm mainly Swedish, but I'm also German, English, and Cherokee Indian.

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Wilkerson (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments I have no earthly idea what I am. I'd say a regular ol' American mutt. Haha.

message 24: by Nawar (new)

Nawar (nawaralq) | 53 comments Middle Eastern.

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (vorvesm) | 132 comments I've thought about looking into my genealogy, but my mom did a lot of it when I was little and I think she stopped because she hit a wall somewhere. Probably on my dad's side because we're not even sure exactly which part of Greece my great-grandma was from, and our name isn't "typically" Greek so we know that they changed it when they came here, but we don't know what the original was :(
It's so cool that some of you guys have those cool family relations! I'm jealous!

Well anyway, I'm 1/4 Greek, and 1/4 Polish from my dad's side, and then from my mom's side I'm a mutt too lol. We're Irish, Scottish, German, Welsh, and English, I think?

message 26: by Emily (new)

Emily yay other people interested in genealogy!!! I'm mostly english with a little bit irish, scottish, french and a quarter Norwegian. I'm also supposedly related to the sisters who were accused of witchcraft in salem, i think they are characters in the crucible?

How do you guys find out about your ancestors?

reply | editLoading | deleteLoading | flag *

message 27: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Oooh, really? Martha Corey or Rebecca Nurse? That's pretty cool.

I found out about mine because I have relatives that work really hard on genealogy. I have a whole folder that has complete family trees, journals, and birth, death, baptism, and marriage certificates. I love looking through it, my ancestors had such interesting lives.

message 28: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments It's really cool to see what your ancestors lives were like. Reading about all the things they had to go through makes me appreciate my life even more!

message 29: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments I am 100% Romanian LOL

message 30: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) I'm mostly German and a tiny bit Irish and maybe a small bit French. The Irish side comes out the most because my full name is an Irish name.

message 31: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I talked to my grandmother this morniing on the phone and I learned a lot of interesting thinks.

1. I am half German, half french-canadian, and a little bit of Irish.

2. A lot of interesting last names on the Lamore side of the family: Googins, Alcorns, Martin

3. My grandmother told me a story of when she and my grandfather went to Pennsylvania and went to this port where there is a monument that has names on it. One of the names on there was a William H. Googins. He was lost at sea and he was like 19 years old. She is guessing a year of 1819 . So it's a good chance that he could be related because Googins is a very rare last name.

4. My grandma Lamore is from Brooklyn, NY and my grandma Kuntz is from Buffalo, NY. what are the odds that they live so close to each other.

I still have some names I need to figure out, like my grandpa kunt's parents, my grandma kunz's mother's maiden name etc. Doing this family tree thing is fun.

message 32: by Lynn (new)

Lynn We have a professor at my school (originally from Minnesota) with the last name Kuntz

message 33: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Do you know his/her first name? Just curious. But I dont think I would be related.

message 34: by Lynn (new)

Lynn His name is Dan/Daniel. We call him Dr. Dan. I had him for Old Testament. He's a really good teacher even if yall aren't related. haha.

message 35: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (crvena_sonja) | 78 comments I'm 100% Serbian born in Bosnia and grew up in the USA.

message 36: by Emily (last edited Jan 28, 2009 03:26PM) (new)

Emily
actually Mary Eastey, Rebecca's little sister.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Eastey

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura (liacobet) Tahleen wrote: "I'm 100% Armenian. Any other Armenians on here?"

Hey Tahleen, I'm not Armenian, but I'm 100% Romanian. I just thought I'd say it because whenever someone asks me and I tell them they think I Armenian lol.

message 38: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Haha really? That's crazy, I've never had anyone think I said I was Romanian. But I did go on a date with a Romanian before.

message 39: by Nuri (new)

Nuri (nools) | 145 comments Hello, East Asians? Why are there so few of us in the English departments?
I'm Korean-American, 2nd generation.

message 40: by Mykee (new)

Mykee  Tan  (chineseveganboy) | 28 comments I'm a quarter Filipino. The rest of me is Chinese. Haha.

message 41: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 130 comments I'm mostly English, French & German. There's a little bit of Swedish and Danish thrown in there as well.

message 42: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey (lyndseyb) | 10 comments I'm about a quarter English and German (each), as well as being a mix of Swedish, Scotch-Irish, Manx, and Dutch.

My maternal grandmother called us "Heinz 57" because we're mutts, lol.

message 43: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I'm 90% German and 10% English.
My husband is 80% English and 20% Mediteranian Mutt.
So that means our kids are 90% German 90% English
and 20% Mutt

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm 100% Irish. Wish I wasn't though- it would be cool to have mixed heritage!

message 45: by David (last edited Feb 22, 2009 08:37PM) (new)

David (canadiandave) Ohhh....I'm 50% Canadian and 50% American. Actually, I have English, French, Native American (cherokee), Welsh, Scottish, German, Irish and Dutch ancestry. I may have missed some, but my ancestors were in New England in the immigrant zones.

message 46: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) 50% German 25% Welsh 25% Irish...basically

message 47: by Erin (new)

Erin I think I am like 25% German 25% English 25% something and then 1/8 irish and an 1/8 scottish. I prefer the term Euro Mutt!

Roisu I would love to be 100% irish!

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I am 50% Irish, 25% Norwegian, 3/16 English, and 1/16 Native American :)

message 49: by Erica (new)

Erica (erica_eze) I am about 1/2 Nigerian (Igbo tribe), 1/2 Hawaiian/Samoan with a dash of English/Spanish thrown in ^_^

message 50: by Sara (new)

Sara (thelukewarm225) | 15 comments I'm most German and Irish, but I'm a little Italian too (my last name is Rizzo after all). I wish I knew more about my family history, but its impossible to find out anything about my dad's side of the family. All I get from them is "we're from Brooklyn." I can't argue with that though since that side of the family has been living in Brighton Beach for four generations now. I never met my dad's dad whose the italian one (he died right before my parents started dating) so all that information is lost. Yesterday, however, I told my boyfriend my dad's mom's madien name and he told me that Byrnes spelt with a y is certainly a scottish name. so who knows?

My mom's side however is a bit more interesting. So her dad's parents came here from Ireland and apparently they were first cousins. And then her mom's dad came here illegally from Germany. He didn't want to fight in World War I so he came here, but jumped ship and swan ashore to Manhattan. He became a citizen eventually though.

whats funny about this whole conversation is that most of us are really just american. :)

« previous 1