Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Suggestions for February's Director

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 217 comments Mod
Any suggestions for February????

message 2: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9955 comments whatever we do, it would be nice to get some agreement and some investment in the works. there were complaints that "we" (the authorial we) chose ozu without much attempt at gathering a consensus. but the way i remember it, it seemed like not too many people voted or expressed an opinion.

i'm cool either way. but i think i'm going to lay back and let some other folks offer some input. i stopped reviewing ozu films this month because it felt like meg and i were the only ones present in the discussions. i don't have a problem with that - i like watching movies and writing about them.

it's probably going to be hard to find someone like hitchcock, who is so universally appealing. that was a nice session of viewings and discussions. perhaps we should choose someone more popular.

spike lee anyone?

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments I'm fairly new to the forum so I don't know what directors you've done before. While there are many foreign/arthouse directors I admire (Francois Truffaut, Peter Greenaway, Rainer Werner Fassbinder, etc.) I'm curious what Hollywood directors you've done.
Frank Capra? Howard Hawks? Billy Wilder? John Huston?

message 4: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9955 comments None of the above. I think Hitchcock is as close to Hollywood as we've veered.

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments Then by all means, why not pick an American director (or foreign born director who worked primarily in Hollywood) for a change? Personally I'd vote for Hawks or Wilder.

message 6: by Phillip (last edited Jan 21, 2009 09:43AM) (new)

Phillip | 9955 comments go for it. i'm staying out of this discussion for the time being. i've probably been hogging the mic for the past few months. i love films of all kinds and will gladly discuss whatever the group comes up with.

message 7: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments How about Robert Wise? Daniel and i talked briefly about his work in my post for ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW and I think there are many disparate films that transcend specific genres: in other words, there's something for everyone:)

message 8: by Ed (new)

Ed | 217 comments Mod
I like Robert Wise or Hawks. I'll put all suggestions in a poll in a few days.

message 9: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments My recommendation is to pick directors that you can instant watch on netflix and that make movies that are very easy to get. I think that is why it worked so well.

Maybe we could pick a theme for February like love (Valentines Day) or Presidents or a theme on prejudice. Just some new ideas.

message 10: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9955 comments valentine's day is my birthday.

message 11: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments Awww happy birthday!

message 12: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9955 comments thanks! (in advance)