Writing Passionates discussion

Other Writing/Reading Stuff > Perfect Writing Environment

Comments Showing 1-50 of 309 (309 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) What would be the perfect writing environment for you?

The perfect environment for me would be in a cabin which is located in a quiet woodsy area with nature to inspire me.

message 2: by Kenzie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I would have to say on a comfy couch or bed, where I am totally relaxed and comfortable. Probably sitting with my cat Princess.

message 3: by Roni, What the neck!? (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Roni (v_a_b) | 2889 comments Mod
I can write anywhere that is semi quiet. For me it's not the place. It's the things that happen to me and influence my mood. The story I am writing is in the form of a diary so whatever emotions I am expiriencing can also be how the main character feels, within the plot of course. Its almost like a real journal, except what happens to me that makes me frustrated happens to Jessie, or something else happens that makes her feel the same way.

message 4: by Kenzie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Okay so you've come up with a good point Veronica. A lot of people can write just anywhere, but where would your ideal writing enviroment be?

message 5: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea I can basically write anywhere. All that has to be right is what I feel for a story. If I try to write it and I don't feel it, it all comes out wrong. But I'm in the moment, its all good.

I do, however, appreciate good music playing softly, a diet coke on hand, a clear table, a cozy room, and the right pen.

message 6: by Cryschelle (new)

Cryschelle (wwwgoodreadscomPenpus) I can write anywhere if inspiration strikes me-- but I prefer to be at my desk working on my computer. My room is really messy--but I know where everything I need is (ie: reference books, thesaurous/dictionary, name book, character building books, photographs and drawings for character reference, my character profiles, scraps of writing I want to use in my story, my favorite fantasy books, etc.). I NEED to have music playing if I'm at my computer though--always. It weird, but without the rythem I can't concentrate. And I can't have the TV on because it's way too distracting and has no real rythem so it throws me off.

message 7: by Roni, What the neck!? (new)

The music thing is interesting to me because I can't concentrate on anything when it is playing. Maybe it's just that I don't have access to music without words, and it's the words that are distracting.

message 8: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra I have playlists for most of my major projects, and will listen to certain types of music to set the mood for specific scenes. Sometimes I need silence, though.

message 9: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I always get messed up on my ideas with music. I just can't handle all the noise.

message 10: by Cryschelle (new)

Cryschelle (wwwgoodreadscomPenpus) Hmm...well the words just sorta blend into the music for me after awhile. Like, I even listen to some mild screamo sometimes when I work, and the screaming becomes part of the music for me, I hardly even notice it.

message 11: by Salma (new)

Salma I actually need music if I'm stuck- then I get all inspired and I turn the Ipod off. :-)

In bed is the best place to write for me. To edit, I prefer a cool cafe with lots of art on the walls.

message 12: by Roni, What the neck!? (new)

I can't write in bed. The top bunk is too near the cealing and I can't sit up and laying down doesn't really work for me. And then the bottom bunk is completely in shadow no matter where I put it. Besides, I actually perfer a flat surface or a notebook on my lap while sitting in a chair that forces me to sit up. But sometimes the couch works. But sometimes I need the privacy of my bedroom. Actually, I need it most of the time unless nobody else is home. I just can't write around people unless I am in a classroom where everybody else is writing. I just have that weird thing where it bugs me if somebody looks over my sholder or looks at something without me knowing about it. It just bothers me. After all, my writing is a personal thing that I only share when I am ready.

Wow I got really off track...

message 13: by Kenzie (last edited Feb 05, 2008 07:58AM) (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I am the same way. I hate it when I'm trying to write and people are being noisey or nosy. I can't stand it when people read over my shoulder, I can feel their breath. It really bugs me when I am writing and someone tells me to do something. Oh, and when I'm writing and all the sudden someone turns on music or starts singing. Then there is the drumset outside my bedroom door that my brothers and father love to bang on. It makes it really hard to concentrate. I loose some of my best ideas because I am working and someone disturbs my zen. Although, when I am really, really into what I am doing everything else around me seems to disappear. I have this really bad habit of staring off into space thinking. It really creeps some people out.

message 14: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (last edited Mar 28, 2008 10:39PM) (new)

Sella Malin | 4530 comments Mod
Usually a comfortable, clean desk or table. I usually like a quiet place. But sometimes, it's nice to write outside, with fresh air blowing all around you and flowers waving in the breeze...places like a forest. In those places my imagination is alive.

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 8 comments I agree the most with Penpusher...I am disorganized in a methodical way & have to have music on in the background to write. I also generally prefer to write on my computer as I type faster than I can write by hand (even though I love the look and the feel of pages I've written out by hand and nothing beats a great Uniball pen in a pretty color!) Of course sometimes in the rush to get all the thoughts on the page when I write it out gets really messy, and it's a lot more work to edit & move things around.

As for the ideal place, I think I would have to say a big open room that was warm & had different areas filled with inspirational material. I think kind of a combination of the open-style living room in my parents house in Maine (the quiet of a small town where you actually have a backyard & a front yard & space between houses outside, inside a fireplace, a lot of high ceilings and big windows to let in the sun, and a nice Bose stereo inside) combined with my "writing room" in my apartment where I have an entire wall of cork boards filled with quotes, pictures, keepsakes, and other things that have caught my eye (of course my apartment is usually always freezing cold or sweltering so that is why it's not my perfect space as is!)

message 16: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 5857 comments Mod
A comfortable chair next to an open window that looks out onto the silver sea... lol. That sounded so corny. But seriously--I would love to have a place like that to write in.

message 17: by Roni, What the neck!? (new)

I'm into a flat surface(school has made this comfortable) or a couch or chair or bed if I can proporly sit up and have a notebook on me(I always write in notebooks. its my thing, I guess you could say.)

The notebook thing is kinda weird in my opinion. I also absolutly have to write in pen unless I am doing something for school, and then I absolutly have to write in pencil. It's very bizarre.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (Ephona) Hmmm...deep question.

Probably some bench by a trickling brook with wind chimes in the background. Something tranquil... *sigh*

message 19: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments What's a 'Handy Manny?' Some sort of doll?

When I'm writing my brother's usually come up to the computer to see what I'm doing. One brother says, "again, why don't you play games?" the other one will try to sit and watch me. I always tell him to go away. I'm very uncomfortable with people reading over my shoulder.

message 20: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments My cousins play RuneScape! Sorry, totally random. I think I've seen that show, on passing, that Handy Mandy show. It was really weird.

message 21: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Waite (zaronas) handy many is a really stupid show
i play runsecape it gives me ideas for my books, because i manly write fantasy so runescape gives me a way to live fantasy and get the creative juices flowing

and my ideal place to write is when i am at the computer because i cant stand or understand my handwriting but i always have found a typewriter comforting to write at probably because of all the dining and the sounds and clicks.

message 22: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) Anywhere as long as no one else is trying to read it. I have issues with that. *cringe* I don't want people to read it in case it's bad, or some things are too private.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (Ephona) I have a friend who kinda edits for me. Sometimes I feel offended by her comments but just have to remember that "Hey! Better your fried then some random editor/publisher!"

message 24: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) yea, but i still get embarrassed when anyone is reading my stuff.... at school my old teacher made me read ALL of my essays, so i made my friend read them for me.

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1 comments The perfect place to write: By an open window, a breeze blowing the gauze curtains--a soft chair that i can pull my legs onto. A pen, a journal and my laptop. the pen has to be fine ball point, the journal, lefty, and the laptop avec wireless. nothing around me needs to be tidied. perfect.
also, shhhh, quiet. in my world you can't hear through the walls and no one is mowing their lawn.

message 26: by Brigid ✩ (new)

haha. back to what u guys were talking about earlier--i had an english teacher like that too, in seventh grade. she was totally OBSESSED with every single thing that i wrote, and always read it to the class. it was kinda embarrassing. lol. but she was still an awesome teacher.
also, i agree with what allie was saying, about not being able to write when someone is staring over your shoulder. sometimes one of my sisters will just come up behind me when i'm typing and be like, "whatcha writing?" and i'll be like "AAAAAH!!! GET AWAY FROM ME!!!" I just have to be alone when i'm writing (which is difficult cuz i have five younger siblings. lol.)

message 27: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Same here, I'll have to be alone. If I'm hanging out at school after hours, and I'll be writing something on my comp while I'm waiting to be picked up, people will come over to me and say, "What are you writing?" And I'll be like, "Um, it's a story," and they're like, "For English class?" and when I say no, they say "For fun then? Why are you doing that?"

message 28: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) my sis is ALWAYS bugging me to let her read my stuff... she says she's my editor... but some stuff i don't WANT her to read, u kno? and i'm like Kenzie- i stare off into space in class when i'm bored and am like thinking of my story, and people think i'm staring at them.

message 29: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I spaced out 17 times today!!!!!

Sorry, had to post that...

message 30: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Waite (zaronas) spaceing out is fun because they think our staring at them and they get all jumpy, but then they interupt you in the middle of your thoughts

message 31: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I usually tend to space out a posters and such on walls, or at trees, or spots on glass. Most people I tend not to space on, they wave their hands in front of my face if they notice, and it ruins my space moments, where I get some of the best ideas for my writing...It drives me insane!

message 32: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

I know! I'll have it painting itself in my mind when they wave their hand in front of my face...it's like, Excuse me, there was a work in progress going on here!

message 33: by Geoffrey☼ (new)

Geoffrey☼ (Erkins1) | 6 comments i space-out durring lunch staring off from the table or at a wall

then my frinds will get me out of my trace and ruin it

when i space-out my eyes dont blink

then everything seems copy itself and move in the same direction(kinda like double vision)

then me eyes'll move and every think will be normal

message 34: by Roni, What the neck!? (new)

That happens to me too, but I don't space out much. It usually happens when I'm in the middle of telling someone a story. Quite annoying. Hey, I just realized something. The capital Q looks really cool!

message 35: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Ha, ha, ha, Veronica. I'm like you Geoffrey. If I space out I usually don't blink.

message 36: by Brigid ✩ (new)

allie, i am jealous of you. i WISH my siblings would read my writing. i try to get my 12-year-old sister to read it, and she's like "eew. no." because i only write fantasy and she hates fantasy. sometimes i can get my 9-year-old sister to read my writing, but she's a slow reader so she usually gives up. also, i think some of my stories might be too violent for her. or they're about teenagers and i don't think she would quite understand all the issues. i can't get my own parents to read my writing cuz they're always "too busy". i can occasionally get my friends to read my writing too. i think more people on this site read my writing than my friends and family do. lol.

message 37: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

My parents never understand my writing. I mean, all they ever read is usually nonfiction, and fantasy seems like children's play to them. As for my sister- well, she never really cares. And, she never has time either- I only see her during the summer, and even then, she's always partying. What do you expect? She's 20. The only feedback I get from my writing is from friends.

message 38: by Brigid ✩ (new)

and from me!! ;) lol.

message 39: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Of course, how could I forget all you goodreads people? :D

message 40: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments My mom says she'll read my writing when it's published. My sister doesn't care to read it, and my dad, well, I've given him a copy of the first two parts of one of my books. My aunt and grandparents are helping me edit my one book, though, so I guess that counts. My brothers, I'll sometimes read some to them. They say it's good, but sometimes I wonder if they say that just to get me to shut up. Most of my writing I keep to myself, though. Not very many people have read every single part of one of my stories.

message 41: by Roni, What the neck!? (new)

I could read them! :) That is, if you want me to. I know how writing gets personal sometimes...but anyways, you could email stuff, or lend the paper copy to me(i know that you have notebooks and I don't like reading off a computer screen as much as real paper). Anyways, my point is that if you ever want or need anything read (or edited) I'm available.

message 42: by Brigid ✩ (new)

me too :)

message 43: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Same! Well, you already have done. :D

message 44: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments To Brigid, Sella, and Veronica. I'll try to get some of my stuff sent to you guys. Veronica, if you like I can see if my parents'll let me print out a copy of them, but they're kind of long, so I might not be able to.

In response to LunaWolf. I know what you mean about not 'spacing out' on purpose, 'cause I don't plan it either, it just happens. People usually give weird looks to others who aren't doin the same thing as them, or aren't like them, don't take it personally, it'll make your life a lot easier. And it is tiring to get brought out of your 'spacing' to be asked if you were spacing.

Whew! -wipes forehead- That was a lot.

message 45: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Lol. Thanks, Kenzie. :D

message 46: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Do you want me to finish part three before I send it to you, Sella, or should I send the first few chapters that I have? I think you've read everything else that I have, except for maybe one chapter of Brainwashed. I haven't gotten very far in it...

message 47: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Yeah that's Brainwashed, except for the special powers part. I've got four chapters posted on here. I'd really like some more feedback on it, it's my first first person peice. It's kind of weird, but I like it.

message 48: by Kenzie (last edited May 06, 2008 08:34AM) (new)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmm... Tori has the right idea--stormy outside, cozy inside. I work best in an armchair with my laptop warming me up. The internet is a necessity since I'll often use dictionary.com or some other reference site as I'm working and I don't want to disturb my work by getting up to fetch the proper books. A constantly refilling cup of cocoa and no disturbances would be great great, but that's perhaps unrealistic. I could do without the cocoa, since I don't pay attention to much else when I get deeply involved. I've missed meals without noticing before! :-) About music... I'm a musical kind of person, so I will eventually start humming or singing along and get distracted from what I am writing. A few times I've written the song's lyrics instead of the words I'd intended! So it has to be instrumental music--usually things I'm less familiar with--or silence.

message 50: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Kenzie, if you want you can send them to me. :D I think I've read all the chapters of Brainwashed, but I'll check to make sure.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7