Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > President Obama

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments Did you see the inauguration? What were your impressions? Do you think he will be able to bring about significant change, or will it remain politics as usual?

I for one, can't believe I've lived to see this, even though I'm still young. I'm so thankful that it's come to pass.

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments We watched it at school today. I was impressed with the ceremony and grateful that I could see it. I think *something* will happen, but whether or not it will be complete, or will be what the country needs, remains to be seen.

I, for one, can put aside my political differences and stand behind the new administration as a proud American today.

message 3: by Courtney (last edited Jan 20, 2009 01:35PM) (new)

Courtney (chamilton12) I agree with you, Emily. I am definitely proud to be an American today. This is historical. Thankfully, I was snowed in so I've been fortunate and able to watch it all day.

I like the man and am excited for the future.

message 4: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) I was also able to watch today because of snow.

I do hope he can change the outlook for the country as far as jobs, health care, education, and how the US is seen in the world today. I believe he can :)

message 5: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (crvena_sonja) | 305 comments Since I live near DC its pretty much turned into a federal holiday. So many roads are closed that going anywhere in the city just wasn't practical. Also, I was amazed to see how many people came in from all corners of the country and even the world, just to stand on the National Mall for this occasion.

It truly is an amazing day!

message 6: by Holli (new)

Holli I've been watching it all day and I'm thrilled to see a more forward thinking President up on that stage being sworn in to office. I'm excited to see what Obama will bring to our country and I'm anxious for significant change.

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samaranthine) | 10 comments I watched it at work on my computer!! *shh* don't tell. I was so excited! I was jumping up and down in my cubicle.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Been watching in between working all day. Very exciting day, and glad to see the strong intelligence of both Pres and VP, as we need that now more than ever.

message 9: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) Isn't it great that everyone has so much hope :)

message 10: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 415 comments I'm sad that I didn't get to see it since I was at work. I downloaded something on my computer in order to get video, and I can get it downloaded but can't get it "up" so ... anyway, I didn't ask my boss if I could watch his t.v. because he is SO ANTI-Obama. He believes everything negative that he reads on his emails about Obama.
So I watched t.v. at lunch time and again after I got home from work. I heard that there was not one arrest made yesterday in connection with the inauguration proceedings! And did you see where his father's village in, is it Ghana? watched it all on t.v. and are really proud of him. So here's to a promising future with President Obama!!

message 11: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (gardengal) | 16 comments I am a Canadian and I watched the whole thing at work yesterday (I am self employed so I can do that) and I was just teared up through the whole thing. Obama is an ispiration to the whole world. He has alot on his plate but he just gives you hope that he will find a way to make things better. His key words were about "everyone" working together and contributing. I hope the whole world listens to that.

message 12: by Lizzi (new)

Lizzi I watched bits and pieces of it online at work, and then listened to it on the radio on the way home. I can honestly say that never before have I been so politically excited and hopeful. Like I blogged about, it feels like the political has finally become the personal for me.

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments I love it when I hear people in other countries being inspired by him too. YAY. He has the potential to be one of the all-time greats, and I sincerely hope he lives up to it.

message 14: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (chill77) I was glued to the streaming video on CNN.com all day yesterday.

message 15: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (pdwendy) | 5 comments What did everyone think of the inaugural poem? I just reread the text in the Times, and again, I can't help but thinking, I am really old if that's what a poem is - it really seemed more like prose to me. It even looked like a speech the way it was printed in the times.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 40 comments I was able to watch CNN almost all day yesterday! I've been affected by the economy - my job was eliminated last fall, and since I live in an area heavily in financial services (central Iowa), it's been next to impossible to find anything permanent, so I'm starting a contract job next week. I am so hopeful that President Obama and his new administration can get our nation's economy running again - and instill some positive news for a change!

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments I was so filled with hope yesterday listening to his speech on the radio. I'm just sorry I couldn't see his face. I feel like President Obama "gets" all of the things that are the most important to me. I agree with Holli's opinion of him being forward thinking.

message 18: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
The poem, in my opinion, was horrific. I did not like it. I did not like her delivery. I did not find it inspiring our relevant.
I tend to lean to the conservative side but I stand behind my president whomever that may be. I pray that he can and will do the best things for this contrary in the face of all that will and does face him.
I still think real change begins on local levels but if he inspires that among people I'm all for that.

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (findingjackie) | 214 comments I think I missed the poem. I only saw the portion from Biden's swearing in to Obama's speech.

Do I think he will be everything he wants to do/says he is going to do? No. Do I think he'll really try to do what he can to pull America from the downward slide it's in now? Yes, I do. I don't think he's a white knight but I do think he's the breath of fresh air that we so need right now.

message 20: by Mich (new)

Mich | 150 comments oh GAWD the poem... if. she. could. have. read. it. with. more. emotion..... did it take forever or not and right when you tho't she hit her stride she. did. it. again. i felt like i was listening to a 4th grader recite a poem as he was being told to SLLOOOOWWWWW DOWN.
other than that. i think the 'words' of the poem wasnt bad... the delivery is what got me
and i LOVED watching it. i woke up just to see it(i work night shift and normally would be into deep sleep at high noon- and i do NOT wake up for anything!!)
i just hope what appears to be many people behind him continues and i LOVE what he did on his first day!(git-mo)

message 21: by Holli (new)

Holli Wasn't she his professor in college or something like that?

message 22: by Lizzi (new)

Lizzi I read the text of the poem but didn't get to listen to it (fortunately?!?) I liked the poem, but I too wish Maya Angelou had been chosen.

message 23: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (pdwendy) | 5 comments Its funny (not funny ha ha, just a little ironic), that the thing I remember about the Clinton inauguration is not Clinton's speech but Maya Angelou. And, I guess that was one of my problems about this poem - I don't think it will stand the test of time, nor did it capture the moment in a way that makes it memorable for years to come - I think the poem was supposed to capture the moment in art, not rhetoric, and it didn't get there for me.

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments I've been listening to some poetry podcasts from NPR recently, and they've talked a lot about the power of the poet to read his or her own poems. I believe the poet had a reason for reading the poem the way she did...even if we can't understand it immediately.

message 25: by Kate (new)

Kate | 96 comments I think the poet's reason for reading the poem that way is that there is a culture of poetry reading that is, unfortunately, hideously boring. The idea behind it is that the poem, not the delivery, is supposed to carry the power. Performance poetry has been a reaction to that, to some extent...although some of that poetry does the opposite: rides on the power of the reading rather than the craft.

I think poets need to strive for a both/and, rather than an either/or: making the poet energizing and exciting for the reading AND making it work on the page too. At least that's why I try to get my students to consider.

message 26: by Laura (last edited Jan 23, 2009 02:22PM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Maya Angelou's reading of the poem was to introduce Clinton's (i think) first term, and that poem was astounding. And her delivery was too. No one could measure up to her after that delivery.

Wendy - I was thinking the same thing during this latest inaugural. I thought the poem and the delivery were stilted; I would have to read it myself to form a different opinion. Maybe it's terrific read differently (I hope so).

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments http://poetry.eserver.org/angelou.html

The link to Maya Angelou's inaugural poem. And it was Clinton One. Brings me to tears.

message 28: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandila) | 75 comments I have to admit that I didn't vote for President Obama but after his win I did agree to support him as I hope everyone in our country will come together and do instead of trying to tear him down.

I watched and Tivo'd the inauguration so I can put it on a tape for my son to have later when he's older. I was moved to tears by all the people and the President Obama's speech. What beautiful words.

I look forward to giving him a chance and I see that he's already making a huge difference in our country.

message 29: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (starshinejen) Many, many Australians were also excited to see Barack Obama inaugurated into the presidency. I believe the real victory here belongs to the American people. By voting in the first coloured President they have shown how the Great American Dream lives on and can inspire hope, even in dark times. The world needs the inspiration of those who dare to dream and work towards realising their dreams. Well done America.