Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > B. Schlink??

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments There are three listings on this page and I think they should maybe be under Nernhard Schlink? I don't know for sure so won't change anything but maybe someone else should take a look?

http://www.goodreads.com/search/searc...

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41686 comments Mod
One was; the other two were not.

It's generally a good idea to use GoogleBooks and WorldCat to confirm authors when there's a question. (Other websites can be helpful as well, such as Powell's, Barnes & Noble, etc.)

message 3: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Thanks for the info- I didn't know about these sites and to use them so thanks a lot- I'll do that from now on. I'm going to go bookmark them right now!

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Do you know how to use the "find at" links on a book's page? I have Amazon, Google Books, and WorldCat as my first three choices (and the others on my extended list). That way, it will look up each book for you.

message 5: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments No, I haven't ever used it but I have seen it. I'll go ahead and check it out and get used to using it though- thanks you SO MUCH- any extra info is appreciated! :)

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Do you know how to edit your profile? The "book links" tab there is probably the easiest place to play around with what choices you have for "find at" links, and their order and such. You can also add any that aren't already on the list (like your local library).

message 7: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments I do know how to edit my profile but I've only done very minor edits there. I am going to start messing with it and I had no idea about adding others like this, I didn't know I could do that!
I do want to thank you very much- I know you're very busy so it means a lot that you take the time to show me and tell me this stuff. I love being able to help out and make the site a better place so thanks a lot!
(I should be able to do more soon after playing around with this new info!) :)

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I was a teacher for 10 years and will probably always be one at heart. :)

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Explains so much!

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Doesn't it? :D

And I come by it honestly -- both of my parents are teachers.

message 11: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments That really does explain a lot- I'm not the quickest when it comes to learning anything on-line. I only recently learned how to insert a link in a message and the whole italics and underlining thing so it says a lot that you can explain this so easily to me! LOL

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Eva, if you're using Firefox, you might find the BBCode Xtra extension useful. I use it for italicizing, inserting links, images, etc. Much easier than entering the tags by hand.

message 13: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Oh, it hurts to even admit this because I've heard of so many things with Firefox that would make my internet life easier but I don't have it.
Here's something for you- I have no clue what it even is! LOL I keep hearing about what it can do for me but that's it!!! Is it a program that I'd buy and install on the computer and then I can use it?
(That probably sounds so pathetic to everyone else on here!) :o

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Firefox is a browser -- a program to navigate the World Wide Web. If your computer is a PC, you are probably using Internet Explorer as your browser. (It comes with almost every PC.)

Firefox is free and easy to install and use. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

message 15: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Yup, I do have Internet Explorer. Thanks for the link. I'm going there as soon as I send this. See how fast you look things up and add them into a message or comment? That would take me four times as long....if I could even find it! LOL
You have to stop helping me now or else I won't know how to thank you anymore. LOL
You're making it easy to learn about everything. Now I'm excited- after all this hearing about Firefox I'm close to getting it!! Thanks!

message 16: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments rivka wrote: "Eva, if you're using Firefox, you might find the BBCode Xtra extension useful. I use it for italicizing, inserting links, images, etc. Much easier than entering the tags by hand."

I have no problem adding tags, but I might bookmark that site for some people who complain how hard it is to use html tagging.

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Rebecca, I certainly can do HTML by hand (and often do when I'm on someone else's computer). But I'm lazy! ;)

You have to stop helping me now or else I won't know how to thank you anymore.

I'm having fun. No need to thank me. :)

message 18: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments Didn't mean to imply you couldn't. *g* I just think at this point I'd be faster just typing the tags than stopping to use a tool. Then, again, I learned HTML before WYSIWYG editors were popular.

message 19: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

*bows before your venerable agedness* ;)