Pulitzer Prize Winning Fiction Project discussion

27 down...

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (specialteacher) | 5 comments I began a journey in late 2006 to read all of the Pulitzer Prize winning novels since I was born (1982) and met my goal at the end of 2008. I've started reading other novels by Pulitzer Prize winning authors including Marilynne Robinson and Richard Russo.

But... there's a part of me that wants to get through all of the winners since the prize's inception in 1918. I bought 1981's A Confederacy of Dunces and plan to read it soon. I'm looking forward to having a group to continue my journey with.

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark | 4 comments I'm in the same boat. I've read a handful of the winning novels over the years, but I'm compelled to read them in order from the beginning. I think it will be fascinating to trace the development of the American novel in this way, but I wonder if some of them will speak to me.

message 3: by John (new)

John (jsheiry) | 7 comments Mark wrote: "I'm in the same boat. I've read a handful of the winning novels over the years, but I'm compelled to read them in order from the beginning. I think it will be fascinating to trace the development o..."

Mark...not all, but MOST of these novels will "speak" to you in some way. I am reading Willa Cather's "One of Ours" which was written in the early 20th century and Claude, her primary character in this book, speaks to me and who I am personally in a very direct way. Follow your heart and read these books. Not every one will be your cup of tea but, in general, they are tremendous works of fiction. Too many books....not enough time!

message 4: by Denise (new)

Denise | 32 comments I've read 20 of them now, but in no particular order. I would most like to read Empire Falls, but I keep picking up other titles at used bookstores.

message 5: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (specialteacher) | 5 comments Empire Falls is fantastic. I enjoyed Russo's writing so much I picked up his new one, Bridge of Sighs, which is also very good.

Denise wrote: "I've read 20 of them now, but in no particular order. I would most like to read Empire Falls, but I keep picking up other titles at used bookstores.

"

message 6: by Denise (new)

Denise | 32 comments Well Lindsay, I am going to make a point of reading Empire Falls this year, then. I have heard many good things about Russo.

Right now for my pulitzer reading I have The Hours, Ironweed and Middlesex sitting on my shelves. At least two of them are short.

Mark,

If you're starting at the beginning you should be coming to The Magnificent Ambersons soon. Let me know what you think of it.

message 7: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (specialteacher) | 5 comments I've read all 3 of those Denise. Ironweed is the only one of them I didn't really enjoy reading. I suppose there is the virtue of it's lacking in length. Let me know what you think of them when you're finished. I began reading a Confederacy of Dunces yesterday and am already quite enthralled.

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark | 4 comments Denise,
I'll let you know about the Ambersons. I really enjoyed Ironweed, so much so that I ended up reading all three books in Kennedy's Albany trilogy. Empire Falls is excellent too.