Writing Passionates discussion

ok I'm going crazy here...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 127 (127 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 42 comments Have you ever had to write a doomed romance for your favorite characters. In the process of doing it now and it's tearing me apart. I know how its turning out...but they are so happy now. this is one of the hardest things I've ever done. Feel free to tell me I'm crazy...everyone else thinks I am. the way my friends see it is that I have a choice..but I really don't. Does that make any sense?

message 2: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1074 comments you aren't crazy. Trust me. I have the same problem!! I hate having to ruin the romance between your characters!

message 3: by Natasha (last edited Jan 20, 2009 11:22AM) (new)

Natasha | 42 comments thank you so much...I thought I was going insane. I had two characters in my novel that died for love...but it's not so simple for the ones in this novel. I feel almost as bad as when I killed the other two!

message 4: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1074 comments I know I have to write Jeff and Kian's first fight....I also have to kill Leander and- *almost cries*
sorry bout that I love those three they are my favorite characters!

message 5: by Natasha (last edited Jan 20, 2009 11:20AM) (new)

Natasha | 42 comments Okay now I want to read the story! lol...the problen is that I got commited to the relationship two books ago... I knew if was not going to end well...but now that I have to trash it it's harder then I thought it would be.

message 6: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1074 comments aww thats sad....yeah i know my story isn't even finished yet its not even that long but i've talked about it so much with my sisters that my characters have been embedded in their hearts and blah blah blah!

message 7: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 42 comments Well if you have the time I'm looking for someone I can talk to about the plot. I'd be willing to read what you've got and give you some reviews. I'm waiting for responces from several publishers on the first book and I'm on the fourth. It's driving me mad. If you think you can handle it let me know! ;)

message 8: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1074 comments Trust me I have time! I'd love to read your writing it sounds great. Wow that must suck! I am sadly a slow,slow writer but faster than all of my friends!Whoa. Really noticing that my pill wasn't taken now! tell me if anything I say doesn't make sense i'll re-explain it.

message 9: by Natasha (last edited Jan 19, 2009 08:38PM) (new)

Natasha | 42 comments Okay...send me your email and I'll send you the first..when you finish that I'll send you the next. It would be cool to have someonw to talk to....I'll erase when you email me.

message 10: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1074 comments okay, hold on

message 11: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1074 comments okay hopefully it worked!

message 12: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 42 comments ok...waiting.

message 13: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Yeah, I'm writing one right now. *feels sadness*

message 14: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 42 comments Is it a great romance that failed? did someone die? With mine it's two people that fought through everything to be together and despite all that in the end they can't be...and they both have to find a way to live without one another. Funny, sounds like a romance novel but it's not...that's not even the main plot! lol ;)

message 15: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Yeah. The characters were/are PERFECT for each other. And, yes. The dude died. Very sad. :( Makes me cry thinking about what's to come.

LOL, mine's the same way. The romance kind of, snuck in, and now it's a major part of the story.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

lolz Romance was basically how my story came to be. XD

message 17: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 5857 comments Mod
Natasha wrote: "Have you ever had to write a doomed romance for your favorite characters. In the process of doing it now and it's tearing me apart. I know how its turning out...but they are so happy now. this i..."

Oh my God. I had to write something like that, too. You're not crazy, trust me. I cried when I had to write the end, and then I was in an awful mood for the rest of the day ... ><

message 18: by Roni, What the neck!? (new)

Roni (v_a_b) | 2889 comments Mod
Natasha wrote: "Okay now I want to read the story! lol...the problen is that I got commited to the relationship two books ago... I knew if was not going to end well...but now that I have to trash it it's harder than I thought it would be."

I know how you feel; I've never written a doomed romance, but I have written something where I new the character would die from the beginning (I mean, the story is the tale of HOW she became the grim reaper) but it was still horrible when I had to write the part where she died.

So no, you aren't crazy. It happens to every writer, and non-writer people don't understand how easy it is to get attached to a character... it's as if they were a close cousin, and if anything happens to them, you feel horrible.

message 19: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 42 comments I love coming here for that exact reason. At least you guys get it ;) I think whats hardest is the fact that before the pivitol part where their relationship must end I wrote a super sweet scene for them knowing how it was going to end up but having to write it as if they would be together forever. I'm half in love with the male character myself and I could almost change the story just to make him happy...but the story rules as I'm sure most of you well know.

message 20: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1074 comments I is sad now...

message 21: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 42 comments awww...not my fault I hope. ;(

message 22: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1074 comments no not your fault, Rosier and Verin, and Asmodeus's fault. (Sorry you wouldn't know them but they are important persons!)

message 23: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 42 comments oh...I get what you mean. Care to talk about it?

message 24: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1074 comments otay forgive me if start talking like they are real. Verin is not supposed to yell at jeff! You don't do that he is sensitive!!!! Rosier needs to stop acting like she's 15 and put on some clothes that are apropriate for her son to see her in! And Asmodeus I don't know whats wrong with him! (Actually I do he's possesed but..) He just needs to get over himself!!

message 25: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 42 comments OMG you sound just like me. My characters do things sometimes that make me really angry...they have mind of their own and sometimes, silly as it sounds, I get very mad at them because they don't react as I might want them to. Characters become their own people and I read a quote once where a writer said the hero of his story directed it and he could only follow him around and try to jot down everything he did as best he could. Not a direct quote obviously but the essence of it explains exactly how I think alot of us feel.

message 26: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1074 comments I know! its horribly annoying. You see i would have wanted verin to come sit down next to jeff pat him on the head kiss him on the forehead and tuck him in. but that didn't happen...so in result of everything that those stupid annoying demons did to them resulted in a fight where kian gets her belly button burned off and jeff breaks all of his ribs!

message 27: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller Kenzie wrote: "Yeah. The characters were/are PERFECT for each other. And, yes. The dude died. Very sad. :( Makes me cry thinking about what's to come.

LOL, mine's the same way. The romance kind of, snuck in, a..."

Wait... there's crying?!?!?!?!? KENZIE........

*just so you know Natasha (and my comments make sense) I'm in L-O-V-E with Daniel, Kenzie's lead, and both jealous/and love Andrea his girlfriend-sort of- so that's why I'm worried.*

KENZIE..... WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!?!?

message 28: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (Taleoflostink) | 1770 comments ???

message 29: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1074 comments Hi toli

message 30: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 42 comments Hey Tink...TY for the explanation, but don't shoot the messenger. It's not Kenzie's fault she has no control over what they do.

;o you know I just realized why alot of people think us writers are nuts! ;)

message 31: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1074 comments why because we have total and complete love for fictional characters and care about their feeling as if they are real? Or is it because we are up untl 3am because you can't get over your writer's block?

message 32: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1074 comments or both?

message 33: by Kenzie (last edited Jan 21, 2009 10:14AM) (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I didn't do anything, Paige. I haven't even killed the character I was talking about ... yet. :'(

I never said it was THAT story. I have a ton more that I just haven't been writing.

message 34: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (last edited Jan 25, 2009 12:02AM) (new)

Sella Malin | 4530 comments Mod
Natasha wrote: "Have you ever had to write a doomed romance for your favorite characters. In the process of doing it now and it's tearing me apart. I know how its turning out...but they are so happy now. this i..."

OMG, I'm writing one of those right now. And I get all teared up whenever I think about it...the two are absolutely perfect for each other in every way, and they're deeply in love. And then one of them is going to die!! It's not fair!! :'( *Cries* ...and it's COMPLETELY this one person's fault..which makes me SOO MAD!! :(

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (Ephona) Yeah that happens in one of my stories too...

message 36: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller Kenzie wrote: "I didn't do anything, Paige. I haven't even killed the character I was talking about ... yet. :'(

I never said it was THAT story. I have a ton more that I just haven't been writing."

Okay, maybe i jumped the gun a bit.....just checking!

message 37: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 49 comments You know your story must be at least decent when you have emotional attachments to your characters.
Me, I've never had much more than a warm regard for my characters, probably because I've never written doomed romances...

message 38: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 42 comments Oh I had an emotional attachment for my characters before the doomed romance. Everything I put them through is painful..literaly. the first character I had to kill tore me apart. I've literallty cried when my characters face trageties...and as it's not a romance very little of it has to do with their love lives. I actually don't know if I can write a real romance. It seems whenver I write a couple that could be the real thing something horrible happens. Maybe there's something wrong with me! lol.

message 39: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 49 comments Let me rephrase that. I've never written a story with elements of agony/sorrow. I don't think I've ever killed someone off either, so I've never cried, but it seems like everyone else on this thread has! lol but sadness, if you get what I'm trying to say.

message 40: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Kenzie wrote: "Yeah. The characters were/are PERFECT for each other. And, yes. The dude died. Very sad. :( Makes me cry thinking about what's to come.

LOL, mine's the same way. The romance kind of, snuck in, a..."

Wait. WAIT. You're KIDDING me, right?!?! PLEASE don't tell me you're talking about the story I'm thinking you're talking about!!! PLEASE DONT TELL ME YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT SPOTTED!!!!! NOOOOOOO!!! PLEASE DON'T TELL ME THAT CARTER IS THE ONE WHO IS GOING TO DIE!!!!!!! NO!!!!!! I DON'T WANT HIM TO DIE!!!!!!!!! 0.0 *gasp scream choke faint die*

message 41: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Margaret wrote: "Let me rephrase that. I've never written a story with elements of agony/sorrow. I don't think I've ever killed someone off either, so I've never cried, but it seems like everyone else on this threa..."

Oh yeah, I've killed charries off. I do that SOO MUCH..it kinda scares me. I'm so horrible to my characters!! And I've had to kill some of my favorite characters before...I cried then. :'(

message 42: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Actually, I'm writing TWO doomed romances. Gah! It's sad.

Hmm ... Sella, I might not continue with that story. I know what I want to happen, but, I dunno, I'm just not enjoying it anymore.

message 43: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Wait, so were you or were you not talking about Spotted when you said the dude is going to die?

message 44: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (Taleoflostink) | 1770 comments woh...

message 45: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller I'm lost.

message 46: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Do you want me to give away the ending, or not? I doubt I'll ever finish it, so I'll tell you how it ends if you like.

message 47: by Amy (new)

Amy (kelairyy) | 137 comments Oooh, how do you guys write doomed romances? I don't want to kill of a character, because I've seen it a lot on goodreads. Any other ways? The one I have in mind is The Mortal Instruments Trilogy where the main characters find out they're "siblings". But... that's just awkward.

message 48: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 42 comments Amy wrote: "Oooh, how do you guys write doomed romances? I don't want to kill of a character, because I've seen it a lot on goodreads. Any other ways? The one I have in mind is The Mortal Instruments Trilogy w..."

I've had a few doomed romances, sometimes someone dies, sometimes they are forbidden to be together due to family or culture, sometimes there's danger involved in ones life so they have to push the other away to keep them safe. There's alot of classic cases to take inspiration from. I would suggest just thinking on the depths of your characters love and think on what could be more then the relationship could survive. Hope that helps ;)

message 49: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 5857 comments Mod
Amy wrote: "Oooh, how do you guys write doomed romances? I don't want to kill of a character, because I've seen it a lot on goodreads. Any other ways? The one I have in mind is The Mortal Instruments Trilogy w..."

OH GOD I LOVE THOSE BOOKS TO DEATH!!! :D !!!!!!!!!!!! MORTAL INSTRUMENTS!!! EEEEEEP!!!
my profile pic is jace. lol. <3

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol my character dies, sort of a doomed romance, but I'm going to have to continue posting the chapters in order to say what happens near the end.

« previous 1 3