Gena Showalter Fans discussion

Wicked Nights (Angels of the Dark, #1, Lords of the Underworld #9.25)
This topic is about Wicked Nights
AOTD - books > Wicked Nights (AOTD #1)

Comments (showing 1-33)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

♥ℳelody (melodiousimagination) Ashley wrote: "Should I read Wicked Nights before I read The Darkest Craving?"

I think it's better to start from the beginning just to get a better understanding of the world, rules and the characters.

Kelli | 9 comments Yes you should! I think it's best to read them in chronological order, makes it less confusing!

message 31: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley | 1 comments Should I read Wicked Nights before I read The Darkest Craving?

♥ℳelody (melodiousimagination) Jade the world building is pretty awesome. I really like the dark tone. But I agree, as much as I enjoyed the adventure, violence and darkness it just highlighted the PG tamed romance.

Koldo's book is better! For me at least, I enjoyed it more.

Krista | 5 comments I loved this book!

message 27: by Jade (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jade (jadev) | 23 comments I finished this today and I had a mix reaction to this book. I liked the world-building & the secondary characters, but I thought there were some pace & mood issues. I felt like the world was supposed to be intense and dark, but the romance was fluffy and light. IDK how to explain. It felt awkward, as if the violence and gore was ramped up while the romance was toned down. The pace was off too. Some scenes dragged, and the story lacked focus at times. I'm excited about Koldo's book, though. I really hope the mood/pace issues will be resolved. The world Gena created is really promising.

message 26: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Strider's sweetheart (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥  (mylheage) | 1040 comments Mod
^THIS!

Arushi | 52 comments I finished the book in a few hours and even reviewed. And it was... sigh. There was so much potential, but no chemistry.
I have higher hopes for Koldo, coz really, it'd be hard for there to be less chemistry. But I am most curious about Thane and his boys.

message 24: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Strider's sweetheart (new) - rated it 2 stars

I think it's difficult because we only saw glimpses of the other angels. I'm sure the more we see of some, the more we'll get excited.

♥ℳelody (melodiousimagination) lol Sarah! Yeah of all the other angels he's the only one I could get a clear picture of.

I'm not exactly excited that Koldo's book is next. I wasn't crazy about the guy. He has zero personality. But then again so did Zacharel with his introduction. lol But we'll see how it goes...

message 22: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Strider's sweetheart (new) - rated it 2 stars

Melody wrote: "I kept getting the names and physical descriptions of the guys confused, except for Thane. lol"

That's because Thane is so awesome. ;-)

message 21: by ♥ℳelody (last edited Oct 23, 2012 10:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♥ℳelody (melodiousimagination) Love me some Zacharel! He was and still is my favorite angel in this series. Really fun read.

Anna was different from Gena's typical heroines. It was a nice surprise.

I didn't notice anything being toned down as far as the sex and language.

The only thing I did notice was a little different was this was a bit darker than her LOTU books. The prologue caught me by surprise, pretty intense. I couldn't put it down after reading the prologue.

It was definitely a strong start to this series.

Not sure what I think of the other angels. I kept getting the names and physical descriptions of the guys confused, except for Thane. lol

message 20: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Strider's sweetheart (new) - rated it 2 stars

As for your angel speculation... I think the scenes with Olivia were more detailed and she is an angel as well.

message 19: by Pauline (last edited Sep 05, 2012 02:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pauline (pauline_savary) | 3 comments Hi,

Wicked Nights was the first Showalter's book I read and I really enjoyed it. Since, I've read the Lords of the Underworld and Atlantis series and I can see how the sex scenes would be more subdued as you say. Is it because he's an angel and/or she was abused? Showalter is always going easy on girls having been abused. Maybe it's just out of "respect"...?

Angel (amh-reads) | 8 comments Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ wrote: "I don't mind if the series has it's own tone but like you I was suprised at how toned down it was. I know Gena was ill and got more religious. Do you think this has to do with it? I found Darkest Seductions was toned down as well."

I wondered the exact same thing because I also noticed the change in tone in Darkest Seduction. I was expecting some mind blowing sex scenes in that book, being that it was Paris' story, and it was much more subdued that the other books in the series.

Camilla (Millaz) | 23 comments I really liked this book, but I had also completely fallen in love with Zach while reading LOTU.

I didn't even think about it being "toned down" or anything while reading, but maybe that was because he was a virgin, so it was just natural?

Either way, I thought it was very Gena-ish, and I'm a sucker for Gena-ish books.. apparently..

Except Legion! Grrrr..

Jessica (studioeastrat) | 117 comments It didn't really bother me either Lulu. I guess I just figured it was better to put him out of his misery.

I agree with you all that it was toned down a bit but it didn't really bother me. I guess we will see if it stays like that into her other books.

message 15: by Lulu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lulu (lulululu) | 246 comments Zacharel not saving his brother didn't bother me so much. Not sure why but it didn't.

I do agree, Sarah, that the book was toned down from Gena's usual style and I am curious if that will continue and spill over into her other series.

Vassi | 1 comments I really really liked the book, but I was also surprised with the ending, and- I don't know- not that I was expecting a really really happy ending and all, but the death of his brother was meaningless and the whole build up was not worth it
But still it was a good book and I am looking forward to "meeting" the other angels

message 13: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Strider's sweetheart (last edited Sep 03, 2012 11:46PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angel wrote: "I was like, "Seriously, the virgin angel warrior is about to consumate his relationship with the demon possessed human, you need me right now?"

LMAO! This is too funny, Angel.

Btw, like the name. :-)

Angel wrote: "I really liked this book, but I agree that it did seem different from the LOTU series and that it was toned down quite a bit. That surprised me some."

I don't mind if the series has it's own tone but like you I was suprised at how toned down it was. I know Gena was ill and got more religious. Do you think this has to do with it? I found Darkest Seductions was toned down as well.

Angel wrote: "then resolved so quickly."

I have to agree. I generally don't like it when all problems are solved on the last 10 pages. I was very upset that Zacharel didn't bring his brother back. I thought he loved him so much.

message 12: by Lulu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lulu (lulululu) | 246 comments Angel wrote: "and I was like, "Seriously, the virgin angel warrior is about to consumate his relationship with the demon possessed human, you need me right now?"

LOL!!!!

Angel (amh-reads) | 8 comments I'm a school teacher and was reading this book during my planning period. (I do most of my planning at home, so I figure it all balances out.) Another teacher came into my class because she needed help with her monitor and I was like, "Seriously, the virgin angel warrior is about to consumate his relationship with the demon possessed human, you need me right now?"

I really liked this book, but I agree that it did seem different from the LOTU series and that it was toned down quite a bit. That surprised me some.

I thought the storyline was interesting, but really didn't like what happened to Zacharel's brother. In a way that seemed to invalidate Zacharel's suffering. His brother was described as being so pure, and Zac missed him so much - and then to learn what had happened to him. That upset me, and it seemed to be revealed and then resolved so quickly.

I am really looking forward to the next book.

message 10: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Strider's sweetheart (last edited Aug 05, 2012 05:28AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Three musketeers, I like that. I cannot wait for some hot action in Thane's cave. He's my fave angel.

Krissy Sanchez | 6 comments I liked it. I understand y the sex was toned down, zach was a virgin so that's to b expected and the language well they r angels and he hasn't really had it rough. Now the other angels I expect some pretty heavy stuff cuz they have had it hard especially the three musketeers.

message 8: by Lulu (last edited Jul 31, 2012 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lulu (lulululu) | 246 comments I generally liked this book, liked Annabelle and Zacharel, and I thought it was a pretty good first in series kind of story. I appreciated finally understanding how the angels (like Zacharel and Lysander) fit into the LOTU universe and who they report to and all that. It helped me as I had always had questions about that when reading the LOTU series.

One minor thing I enjoyed seeing cleared up was the "love in a jar" that Zacharel kept by his bed and used to save Haidee (I think it was) a few books ago in the LOTU series. I appreciated understanding what that was (and the reason for it) as it had seemed so very random when it popped up in Darkest Secret. (I think that was the book lol.)

I also noticed that this book was pretty toned down from typical Showalter in terms of language and sex. I kind of wondered why, since I don't believe her Lysander/Bianka novella was at all that way but it's been awhile since I read that.

♬ ☮ Priya ♀ ♏ {Smoke and Starlight} ☠ ☯  (DarkSkies) | 27 comments Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ wrote: "Did you read more of the book, Priya? Do you like it better?"

I am probably gonna try to read it next week.

message 6: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Strider's sweetheart (new) - rated it 2 stars

I have mixed feelings about the book.

I didn't like the romance at all. I didn't feel them together and thought Annabelle got over her abuse way too fast. It was also very cliché and I hated the ending. I didn't like the choice Zacharel made.

I think I prefer the cold Zacharel we saw in the LOTU books. He was more interesting.

But I love that we learnt more about the different angels and there are some interesting characters in his army.

The ones I'm most curious about are Xerxes, Bjorn and Thane, especially the latter. So far he's my fave in the series. I love how those three care for and love each other.

Jessica (studioeastrat) | 117 comments I liked it but Zachrael was really interesting to me in the Lords series. I thought that both Anna and Zachrael were perfect for each other. Plus the cameo from some of the lords was awesome.

message 4: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Strider's sweetheart (new) - rated it 2 stars

Did you read more of the book, Priya? Do you like it better?

message 3: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Strider's sweetheart (last edited Jul 23, 2012 11:55PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

I have to say it dragged in a lot of places and I didn't feel the romance either. But there are lots of intriguing characters and some action scenes I liked.

♬ ☮ Priya ♀ ♏ {Smoke and Starlight} ☠ ☯  (DarkSkies) | 27 comments How is the book? I'm like through 60 pages and the story is unable to pull me in. I mean the beginning was great and all but I feel no chemistry between Zach and Anna. Does it get better?

message 1: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ , Strider's sweetheart (last edited Nov 12, 2012 09:03AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

description

Leader of the most powerful army in the heavens, Zacharel has been deemed nearly too dangerous, too ruthless--and if he isn't careful, he'll lose his wings. But this warrior with a heart of ice will not be deterred from his missions at any cost...until a vulnerable human tempts him with a carnal pleasure he's never known before.

Accused of a crime she did not commit, Annabelle Miller has spent four years in an institution for the criminally insane. Demons track her every move, and their king will stop at nothing to have her. Zacharel is her only hope for survival, but is the brutal angel with a touch as hot as hell her salvation--or her ultimate damnation?