Conan movie

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colin (new)

Colin | 15 comments Mod
New Conan and Solomon Kane movies?

message 2: by Colin (new)

Colin | 15 comments Mod
OK. I am totally embarassed. I just did a little research (in other words I googled it). The new Conan movie was announced over a year ago, and somehow I never heard of it.

I feel kinda lame.

As far as what I think? Hard to say, at this point. I did notice that they are looking for an R rating, which is usually a good sign.

Now I need to google "solomon kane movie".

message 3: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) I am excited to see them, Ryan, but I have to admit I am worried about them. They are so easy to overdo, which can destroy the whole thing.

I hope they are taken seriously rather than cheesed up.

message 4: by Colin (new)

Colin | 15 comments Mod
So on some website somewhere (I've already forgotten where exactly) I just read a brief plot synopsis of the Conan movie.

The story is not consistant with Conan's bio as presented in the books.

That, in itself, is not necessarily a tragedy (the first Conan movie also differed from the books), but it is a warning flag to me.

Of course, there's no way of knowing whether or not the plot synopsis I found was accurate.

In general, I don't like to read spoilers, but sometimes I find them accidentally and I am unable to resist reading them.

Personal anecdote: Sometime before the release of Star Wars Episode 2, I found a detailed synopsis of both Episode 2 and Episode 3, and in a fit of weakness, I read them. Afterwards, I regretted it, since I don't like spoilers. Then, when I saw the movie, the alleged synopsis turned out to be totally wrong. I sometimes wonder if movie studios don't do stuff like that on purpose.

message 5: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) If you come across the synopsis again I'd love to have a peek at it.

message 6: by Colin (new)

Colin | 15 comments Mod
Brad

It was here

message 7: by Cleanfun (new)

Cleanfun | 1 comments I was really looking forward to the new Conan but after reading the synop linked by Colin I'm starting to feel like an old dog and that new tricks agitate me. I'll remain open to be pleasantly surprised though.

As for Solomon Kane, I'm excited to begin reading. Goodreads is serving the exact purpose that I hoped it would, giving me all kinds of solid leads on ... good reads.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

As long as Brett Ratner is attached to the project, I'll be veeeery leery of the new film. I respect his ability to direct action/comedy popcorn flicks (ala Rush Hour - and he's supposedly directing the upcoming Beverly Hills Cop 4), but I feel Conan should be a bit more serious in tone than the stuff Ratner usually does.

message 9: by Colin (last edited Mar 04, 2009 06:13AM) (new)

Colin | 15 comments Mod
If they turn Conan into an action/comedy like Beverly Hills Cop I will be angry.

message 10: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) I can't imagine Ratner would do that. X-Men: The Last Stand wasn't great, but Ratner didn't cheese it up. And I really loved his version of Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. The work he got out of Ralph Fiennes as Dolarhyde was outstanding. I think he could do an excellent job, especially if he is passionate for Conan

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Red Dragon? Bleh! Give me Manhunter any day. Although comparing Michael Mann to Brett Ratner is like comparing Elvis to the latest bozo from American Idol.

I will agree that the last X-Men movie wasn't entirely his fault like many seem to believe. He was delivered a horrific screenplay, and if your script is trash, there's only so much you can do as a director to hide that.

message 12: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) Fair enough on Manhunter over Red Dragon as a work, but Ratner did get some excellent stuff out of Fiennes, although maybe the real skill was simply the casting of Fiennes in the first place. Regardless, I think there are worse directors than Ratner for Conan.

And as much as I love Conan, we're not talking about some high highfalutin character like Elizabeth Bennett or Hamlet. I think Ratner can do hack and slash.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael | 5 comments Have any of you guys seen the Solomon Kane movie? I think that it was really well done. I hope it did well enough at the box office to merit the planned sequal, which would apparently cover Kane's adventures in Africa.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael T | 6 comments It is very very hard to make Conan good. Besides the first movie everything else has blown hard. I saw Solomon Kain and was disappointed.

They are making another Red Sonya...granted it cannot be worse then the original, so that will be interesting.

Also they are making another Mortal Kombat, but this time they are making more like how the producers originally wanted it, very dark and very violent.