Gather Yourselves Together discussion

January > Chapter 7-13 discussion: Snow Crash

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 194 comments Mod
I am wondering how these two stories are overlapping. I am assuming the scenes in the metaverse are taking place AFTER the Hiro and Y.T. scenes, but how far in the future? Anyone? Anyone?

message 2: by Becca (new)

Becca | 160 comments I gather the same thing. I can't find an exact amount of time between the two things. If you look in chapter 3 (pg 22 of my book) Hiro talks about researching and uploading info on "a new musical phenomenon" that he got a tip on from a Kourier. Then in chapter 12 (pg 100 in my book) YT tells him about "Vital Chrenobyl and the Melt Downs" saying they are a great rock band. I assumed they were talking about each other. But you know what they say about assuming things! Also in one of the Metaverse scenes Hiro talks about owing the mafia a new car. I can't imagine the Mafia would let a debt like that go unpaid for to long. Based off those two things I was assuming it was a few weeks apart. But again I don't really know for sure.

message 3: by Tiffany (new)

Ahh. Very good observations, Bectar. I bet the mafia wouldn't give him much time either.

I love Mr. Rife and how he thinks he owns everything because it passes through his system.

I admit, I wish it was picking up a little faster. I'm ready to understand what the book is really about.

message 4: by Tiffany (new)

Uh-oh. Mr. Rife may not have entered the picture yet. If so, sorry. I'm not sure where I am, but I think it's past chapter 13.

message 5: by Erich (new)

Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann (erichfranzlinnerguzmann) | 81 comments Haha, yeah... I think you are Tiffany. I just finished chapter 13 and they mention his name at the very end of the chapter.

Oh and good observation on the bands Becca! That didn't even cross my mind until you mentioned it. I bet ya they are talking about the same bands. That being said though, I have no idea what the difference in time is between the 2 scenes. I don't think he wants you to know; part of the suspense. It is working on me at least.

I have to say I like this authors style of writing. He brings up a complex subjects and then subtly gives you hints. So instead of me feeling like an idiot for not knowing it, I secretly feel like a super genius!

These chapters don't really give you a lot of information about where the novel is leading up to but I does seem like it introduces you to some key components that I am sure will be majorly important later on. Such as; the teaming up of Y.T. and Hiro, the rat thing watch doggie and the disappearance of Da5id Meier, supreme hacker overload, founding father of the Metaverse protocol, creator and proprietor of the world-famous Black Sun! Sorry, I'll quit babbling and get back to reading :)

message 6: by Becca (last edited Jan 20, 2009 10:24PM) (new)

Becca | 160 comments

I just finished Chapter 13, and I have no idea who Mr. Rife is. Thanks for ruining the book and there for ruining my life. We are no longer friends.

message 7: by Becca (new)

Becca | 160 comments ps I think that Erich may have a small crush on Da5id!

message 8: by Nicolle (last edited Jan 21, 2009 01:36PM) (new)

Nicolle | 49 comments lol I wonder why Hiro said to Y.T that he hadn't heard of Vital Chrenobyl and the Melt Downs when he lives ith Vital Chernobyl yet it's no coincidence when he's at the gig.

This is totally off topic but am i the only English person in this group??

message 9: by Tiffany (new)

As far as I know you are. At least I know 12 or so people are not, so there's a good chance you are.

I wondered that too. I figured maybe Hiro didn't want her to know he knew him, so he wouldn't either have to get into a long conversation about it with her, or so he wouldn't have to introduce her.

message 10: by Nicolle (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:08AM) (new)

Nicolle | 49 comments i think we're going to run over into feb because it's already the 22nd Jan and we're not even half way through yet. ---> Maybe we should just do one book after another instead of each month. i.e. if we finish Snow Crash on 16th Feb start the next book the day after not specifically feb 1st the March 1st.

message 11: by Becca (new)

Becca | 160 comments I was just thinking we needed to speed things up a little if we were going to finish the book on time. We could extended it out a little into Feb. but I also think that now that we all have the book we could be reading it faster also.

message 12: by Erich (new)

Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann (erichfranzlinnerguzmann) | 81 comments Yeah, I am thinking we could extend January's book a little into February, but it probably shouldn't be a problem for February's book. Whoever is ahead of the rest of the pack, then feel free to start a new topic for Chapter discussions... go all the way to the end of the book also. But however everyone else wants to do it is good with me :)

message 13: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 155 comments I don't want to repeat, I'm just excited that I'm catching up! A little. Aside from the confusion about the different times, which really messed me up for a while, I have a comment. People with numbers in the middle of their names bug me. I'm looking at you, Da5id. Seriously, how am I supposed to say that?!?!

message 14: by Erich (new)

Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann (erichfranzlinnerguzmann) | 81 comments Ha, you just say "David". It is another one of those geeky things. When setting up your name for something online based you will often have the same name as someone else. To show that you are “cooler and superior” to the other person, you will add in something creative but very nerdy to be different, ha. He just wants to differentiate himself from all the other David’s out there.

message 15: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle | 49 comments lol i bet if he were real it'd be his number plate on his car aswell

message 16: by Erich (new)

Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann (erichfranzlinnerguzmann) | 81 comments Haha! That actually reminds me of some of my friends, ha!

I think Da5id's name is pretty clever though because the Roman Numeral symbol for "5" is "V". So my friends aren't as cool as Da5id! Maybe Becca is right and I do have a small crush on him, haha.