Horror Aficionados discussion

Authors > Edgar Allen Poe

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments Would be 200 today! Let's celebrate by reading one of his famous tales.

message 2: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristabela) | 118 comments The story 'The Black Cat' is the very reason that I love horror. I read it when I was eight and have now had 23 wonderfully horror filled years.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments The first story of his that I read was "The Telltale Heart". I was hooked right away from a young age.

message 4: by John (new)

John Karr (karr) | 38 comments Poe is one of my inspirations and here I've never read 'The Black Cat' ... so I'm going have to now. Thanks for the tip.

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments The Black Cat is a classic.

message 6: by Matt R. (last edited Jan 20, 2009 06:21PM) (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 29 comments The Poe Toaster returned again:

http://www.wmdt.com/wires/displaystor...

message 7: by Mariela (new)

Mariela (MartiSavage) | 1 comments The Tell-Tale Heart, The Cast of Amontilliado, and pretty much all of his poems are a must read

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim Cherry (jymwrite) Belated Happy 200th Birthday!

There's a new biography of Poe strangely enough titled Poe by Peter Ackroyd I ordered it, so hope to have it soon.

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim Cherry (jymwrite) Rebecca,
I checked after I posted the book is on it's way so I can read & report back on how it is.

Jim

message 10: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Wow a year old thread! Well I have a complete works of Poe,must read some this year…

message 11: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (GuidoHenkel) | 244 comments I have a complete work of Poe around also. Time to crack it open some time. But where is it?

Then again, it's all in the public domain so I could just download the stories to my Kindle from Project Gutenberg.

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/autho...

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Who shouldn't read Poe... The Supernatural book I just got around to reading 'Nevermore' had things to do w/Poe.. It was the only good thing about the book... Like Poe was the Very 1st to come up w/murder mystery story.. Which inspired "Sir Arthur Conan Doyle" True... One thing I like about that show "Supernatural" They do their homework on truths & myths.. :)

message 13: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) I watched supernatural for the first time last night,where Dean is in an accident and suffers a near death experience and battles with daemons-not bad at all!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Larry wrote: "I watched supernatural for the first time last night,where Dean is in an accident and suffers a near death experience and battles with daemons-not bad at all!"

If you really want to see some Great Episodes.. Try & get copies of seasons 1 & 2 (maybe your library)
Awesome isn't a big enough word to describe the show then...

message 15: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Always wrote: "Larry wrote: "I watched supernatural for the first time last night,where Dean is in an accident and suffers a near death experience and battles with daemons-not bad at all!"

If you really want to ..."

Yea I may just put it on Tesco list. We just borrowed Heroes season 3 from a friend at work and have to get thru that first. Then there's Fringe…

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Larry wrote: "Always wrote: "Larry wrote: "I watched supernatural for the first time last night,where Dean is in an accident and suffers a near death experience and battles with daemons-not bad at all!"

If you ..."

If you understand Fringe, My hat's off to you.. Watched it and don't get it.. Doh! ;O

message 17: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Oh Fringe is great. Its kinda like the X-Files, but good!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Watched X-files (big fan) but I still don't get Fringe

message 19: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) What's to get? X-files bores me,its so samey,but Fringe has great characters,and the guy who plays the father(John Noble) so sounds and looks like Vincent Price its uncanny!

message 20: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3 comments I am a big fan of edgar allan poe. I have the complete collection of his tales and poems. Paid $20 for it.

message 21: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) | 712 comments Adriana wrote: "I am a big fan of edgar allan poe. I have the complete collection of his tales and poems. Paid $20 for it."

Those Barns & Nobel collections are great like that, HPL, Poe and many others.

message 22: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3 comments Yea unfortunately for me, the store that I would always go to just closed. Sucks. I don't know were I am going to buy my books from now on. Hate going online to buy books, I like going to the book store a lot. It is a lot more fun that way.

message 23: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) | 712 comments That sucks, browsing is definitely more fun in store than online. You can do what I do, make a roadtrip. I drive 4 hours just to spend a day or two with my family, we also do that for a half day of shopping too.

message 24: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3 comments Yea I love just looking at all the books. Going from one aile to the next never knowing what you might get your hands on. I will most likely have to drive somewhere to find another store that I love, which sucks because this one was just down the street from my school.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Larry wrote: "What's to get? X-files bores me,its so samey,but Fringe has great characters,and the guy who plays the father(John Noble) so sounds and looks like Vincent Price its uncanny!"

Well now, yah.. I wouldn't watch X-files anymore.. But I still don't get the other show... Must be a ReTard DOH!

message 26: by Shawn (last edited Jan 22, 2010 03:45PM) (new)

Shawn | 1168 comments We produced a nice sequel to "Cask of Amontillado" called "Something There Is", recently on PSEUDOPOD, for those interested

http://pseudopod.org/2009/10/30/pseud...

message 27: by Lexi (new)

Lexi Snow (ChicagoBullsfan23) | 3 comments I love his short stories and poems. He is like one of my favorite authors because he writes gory types of things. It is just different to things that I have to read for school.

message 28: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Poe writes gore? That's news to me! Closest to gore might be Pit and the Pendulum

message 29: by Lexi (new)

Lexi Snow (ChicagoBullsfan23) | 3 comments OK?! Well, yeah, he does. He writes some "romance" like annabell lee, but then there is other things that are much better and a little creepy too. Some things like The Tell Tale Heart are kinda creepy, but I love his works.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Poe was the 1st to begin Mysteries.. 'In the Rue Morgue' Inspired Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes character... :)
And that's your lesson for the day chil'ren

message 31: by Lexi (new)

Lexi Snow (ChicagoBullsfan23) | 3 comments Always wrote: "Poe was the 1st to begin Mysteries.. 'In the Rue Morgue' Inspired Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes character... :)
And that's your lesson for the day chil'ren"

Why do you say that is our lesson for today, when that probably isn't even true??

message 32: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (GuidoHenkel) | 244 comments Poe never wrote any gore stories. Maybe Lexi isn't familiar with the proper term but gore refers to excessively graphic bloody scenes. Not any Poe story that I recall has any graphic descriptions of that sort at all. they are creepy, yes, but not gory.

As the the Rue Morgue, well, that can certainly be debated. It is considered to be the first detective story and as such yes, it sort of lead the way to Sherlock Holmes, particularly because Rue Morgue works on the basis of deduction.

It is, actually, a pretty well known assumption in the writing community that Poe's Rue Morgue was an inspiration to Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, as well as Agatha Christie's Poirot character.

To dismiss it "because it probably isn't even true" is much more far fetched than Always' assumption that it actually is.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I was into Poe in high school, like Crazy.. It's 1 of the few things I remember about when I read history about him, that I find Interesting(cool) to you young folks.. I read him now, some honestly 30 yrs later & barely understand him... :(

message 34: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 1168 comments And still I sigh and wish more people read ETA Hoffmann's "Madame De Scuderi" (yeah, there's no actual detective, but everything else is there)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

O tell us Shawn where to find it??

message 36: by Shawn (last edited Feb 10, 2010 02:24PM) (new)

Shawn | 1168 comments Any good E.T.A. Hoffmann collection should have it.

And while, yes, Poe didn't write "gore" as we define it, in the context of the times the dismemberment (cooly related though it is) in "Telltale Heart", the eye gouging and axe in the brain of "Black Cat" and the "body defilement/tooth extraction" (occurring between the action as it does) of "Berenice" were all pretty hair raising for the average reader, especially as the events were not set in a moral frame (like the atrocities in hagiographies of saints), a classical frame (like TITUS ANDRONICUS) or even a recent historical frame that the more lurid Gothic novels used (THE MONK, etc.). These distancing effects allowed some extreme violence to get through, but Poe was (usually) writing about the here and now (or the "here and then" for us) and that made him quite notorious in his day.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank You Shawn :)

message 38: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Always is dead right there, Poe invented the detective story,and those stories inspired Conan Doyle (my brother is a sort of Conan Doyle scholar,knows him inside out)

message 39: by Hiddenheart (new)

Hiddenheart | 140 comments I've never really like short stories, except for Poe's. I like to get into what I read, and most short story writers don't really have the talent to accomplish that (No offense if anyone is a short story writer).
I have to say I can't pick a favorite of Poe's short stories. Top 3 would be The Black Cat, The Cask of Amontillado, and the Pit and the Pendulum.
My favorite poem of his is a tie between Anabelle Lee and The Raven.

message 40: by Larry (last edited Mar 24, 2010 02:13AM) (new)

Larry (hal9000i) I never get poetry to be honest,it goes over my head but having said that is The Raven a poem?

message 41: by Hiddenheart (new)

Hiddenheart | 140 comments I believe The Raven is a poem. It's categorize in everything I've seen as a poem. But, if I'm wrong, plese let me know. Thanks!!!!

message 42: by Jakob (new)

Jakob | 86 comments The Raven is definitely a poem. One of my favorites :)

message 43: by Jakob (new)

Jakob | 86 comments IF you would like to hear it read by Christofer Walken I could upload it ;)

message 44: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 1168 comments Yeah, that is a great version. Garrison Keillor did a nice one on PRARIE HOME COMPANION quite a number of years ago.

message 45: by Debra (new)

Debra Harrison (bookcollecting101) | 16 comments I don't know about copyright laws but I would LOVE to hear Christopher Walken read The Raven! Just sayin'...

message 46: by Jakob (new)

Jakob | 86 comments I'll leave it here for a while ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/?nmkd2uggymz

message 47: by Debra (new)

Debra Harrison (bookcollecting101) | 16 comments Jakob - Thanks! That is Fabulous! What a treat...

message 48: by Jakob (new)

Jakob | 86 comments He really does read it well. I gained a new appreciation for the poem after listening to this :)

message 49: by Debra (new)

Debra Harrison (bookcollecting101) | 16 comments He articulates every phrase perfectly. I have tried to read that poem aloud many many times with varied success but his reading was perfect to my ears. Again -
Thanks!

message 50: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 16902 comments Larry, guess you didn't notice that the words in "The Raven" rhyme. "Dreary." "Weary." You're too funny.

Not all poems are short. Look at "Beowulf."

« previous 1