Readers who hike discussion

Fiction that involves hiking?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (last edited Jan 19, 2009 10:00AM) (new)

Jeff (jeffschneider) | 9 comments Mod
Welcome to the group. Here's a good question to begin with - Besides Cold Mountain what other fiction books is hiking a big part of?

message 2: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Seal | 1 comments Nevada Barr novels are a great reads for wilderness and recreation inside fiction. Try 'High Country' or 'Blind Descent' for starters.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I read a book a few years ago that was about a hiker (female) who was being stalked by a killer as she hiked in Alaska. It was an excellent book and I wish I could remember the name. I just remember the cover had a white feather on the front. If I ever find the book again, I'll be sure to post the name of it. :)

FritztheCat

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 23, 2009 03:03PM) (new)

Richard Matheson's 'Hunted Past Reason.' Not a flattering portrayal of the backpacker, who is the villain, and a bit preachy, as I'm afraid is much of Matheson's later work.

There's plenty of walking in King's 'The Stand.' The villain's even known as The Walking Dude, among other things. As Bachman he wrote 'The Long Walk,' and 'The Gunslinger' opens with "The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed."

Douglas Preston's 'Tyrannosaur Canyon' has a hiking monk, the 'Lonesome Dove' series had a lot of walking including a couple of characters who refused to ride horses, and I recall some epic, even drunkenly poetic walking in Fritz Leiber's 'The Wanderer.'

Oh, and 'The Lord of the Rings' has a rather epic walk or two in it.

message 5: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 1 comments A Walk Across France by Miles Moreland. This is a story of a couple who take a vacation and walk across the southern part of France. It is a charming story about life and marriage with tidbits of French culture thrown in.

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelaskell) | 5 comments F.J. wrote: "I read a book a few years ago that was about a hiker (female) who was being stalked by a killer as she hiked in Alaska. It was an excellent book and I wish I could remember the name. I just remem..."

YES! Please try to remember because this one sounds fascinating and scary.

message 7: by Angela (last edited Sep 21, 2010 03:51PM) (new)

Angela (angelaskell) | 5 comments Jeff wrote: "Welcome to the group. Here's a good question to begin with - Besides Cold Mountain what other fiction books is hiking a big part of?"

DESERT SOLITAIRE (Edward Abbey)
A WALK IN THE WOODS (Bryson)
WALKING (Thoreau)
THE CANTERBURY TALES (Chaucer)
THE ALCHEMIST (Coehlo)

message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lichen (patriciaklichen) | 7 comments Forgive me for shameless self-promotion, but nearly the entirety of my novel "Kidnapping the Lorax" takes place on an extended backpacking trip through an unnamed forest in the Pacific Northwest.

Right now it's available only as an e-book, but when it's released as a physical book I'm hoping to convince my publishers to include it in the goodreads giveaway.

message 9: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelaskell) | 5 comments Cooooool! I love giveaways.

message 10: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lichen (patriciaklichen) | 7 comments Thanks Angela, for the reminder that I haven't yet read Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods" though I've been meaning to for quite some time. I'll go order it now!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog

There is a little in this book which I enjoyed immensely. He found Merle while on a hike.

message 12: by Tom (new)

Tom Deaderick | 1 comments Near my home, there's a deserted colony. It was abandoned in the 50's when the train, which was the only transportation in or out, stopped carrying passengers. It's called the "Lost Cove". It's a really fascinating place. I used it as inspiration for my science-fiction novel, "Flightsuit". For me, hiking and exploring is all about discovery. That's what I believe people enjoy about science fiction as well, the sense that they are discovering. I think we're designed for this constant exploration.

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelaskell) | 5 comments Patricia wrote: "Thanks Angela, for the reminder that I haven't yet read Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods" though I've been meaning to for quite some time. I'll go order it now!"

Well. It's been two and a half years since I posted that reply! Wow. Have you had a chance yet to read "A Walk in the Woods" by Bryson? I just read "Wild' by Strayed. Not very good in my opinion.