Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Earl (last edited Jan 19, 2009 09:41AM) (new)

Earl (read_for_entertainment) | 372 comments Browsing my wonderful new toy, the GoodReads various search engines, I came upon a book (Georgina Kincaid series)that sounded weird enough to even titillate me, maybe.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23...

But it's not available in our Crandall library or its affiliated libraries. The author Richelle Mead, is available there in a few of her earlier novels though. I've ordered from Amazon a few times in the past when the library doesn't have it, but have often been disappointed. Laurel Hamilton was one. The book in question sounds very much like chic-lit, mainly appealing to women - a romance novel. I wonder if anyone in our group has read any of these Georgina Kincaid novels? Especially looking for a male viewpoint.

message 2: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16325 comments RE: Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead (2007)

To answer your question, Earl, I haven't read any of these books. I hope someone who's read one will jump in here and give an opinion.

I see that there are already 4 books in this Georgina Kincaid series, this one being the first.

At Amazon.com, the Booklist review says: "At the start of a planned series, Mead cooks up an appetizing debut that blends romantic suspense with a fresh twist on the paranormal, accented with eroticism."

I browsed through the Goodreads reviews and they were all very positive.

Below are some comments from http://www.richellemead.com/reviews.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Buffy meets Sex and the City. Guilty pleasures don't get much better."
-David Sosnowski, Author of RAPTURE and VAMPED

"Take a beautiful and sassy immortal. Mix in suspense, murder, and plenty of hot sex. Pour yourself a great read and enjoy the hell out of this story."
-Mario Acevedo, author of THE NYMPHOS OF ROCKY FLATS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sounds intriguing.

Below is a link to an Excerpt from Chapter 1:
http://www.richellemead.com/excerpt.htm

message 3: by Jim (last edited Jan 19, 2009 11:15AM) (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 5921 comments Never read any of the books by Richelle Mead. They sound similar to Laurell K. Hamilton, Kim Harrison & other Urban Fantasy writers. One review of this did note that there was amazingly little sex it for being about a succubus.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll keep my eye out for the first book. I put it on my wish lists on PaperBackSwap & BookMooch. Looks like a lot of people are looking for it, 187 others on PBS.

My daughter & I love these paranormal romance books, although our tastes do vary. She likes the Jaz Parks books by Jennifer Rardin, which I thought were just OK. I only read the first 2, then gave them to her. She has 4 or 5 of them now, I think.

I really liked the early Anita Blake books by Hamilton. The first 4 or 5 weren't all about sex. After that, they got too much in it until the last couple were just horrible. Her Merry Gentry books have another wonderful world, but there's way too much sex in them. I guess the first one isn't terrible, but that series went downhill even faster.