Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general & ongoing) > Weight-Loss Challenge Preview

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jan 19, 2009 08:57AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I thought about the concept of losing weight and how to incorporate it into a challenge, and I realize that since we are all unique as individuals, this can get tricky. I'm postponing the BootCamp until I know more, or if somebody has a better idea how to conduct it.

However, I still want us to pursue this goal, and here is what I come up instead. Those who want to join in this healthy endeavor, I have come up with a different kind of format instead.

1. Set a personal goal, mininum of three. It can be daily, weekly or monthly. The goals should cover at best: exercise and food intake.

2. Create your own tracking thread where you will write your commitment and where you will update your accomplishment or lack of when it comes to your goals.

3. Third, support by others seems to be a key in weight loss success for most individuals. So, aside from the group helping each other out, I want to take a page out of Tricia's idea, and assign an accountability buddy system each month.

So if you are interested in having a buddy or be one, just post here saying so. You will be that person's buddy only for the month. Then we will get a new one in the next month and so on. If things get busy, or you feel you can't commit, just let me know, and I'll make the necessary changes.

I want to start this on the 1st of February, so any feedback to fine tune the elements is welcome.

Happy reading...and will be staying healthy at the same time.

message 2: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jan 19, 2009 08:59AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I'm in as a buddy and will be needing a buddy too.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I am in as a buddy and will need a buddy. I am glad to support anyone but my story is "in my 20's and 100plus to lose." Not to discouraged. Done it before I was on meds, but hate to have to see that goal weight waaaaaaaaaaay down the line =)

message 4: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Kenjii,

We all have our own unique goals here, but I'm sure it will be fun. Whether it's going to be just you and me on this challenge or others, you will definitely have my support..LOL..

Keep tracking, girl, that's the key..accountability.

I will keep this thread open for signing up and feedback until Jan 30, then I will announce the buddies on the 31st.

message 5: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments So will there be a thread where we keep track of things or? How will this work? hehe

Not sure how this is all working. Are we tracking our food intake? Exercise? Daily?

message 6: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments The way I look at this, Tricia, is you set your own goal and what you want to track. You will have your own thread..say Tricia Weight Loss 2009 record...or something.

You will write your goals and record your accomplishments on it. The group will check on you, and your buddy will encourage you and so on.

What do you think? Will that work?

message 7: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments Hmm probably hehe I know buddy systems work out great usually because of the moral support thing.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Yz: I think that will work fine. U can edit your thread and your buddy can check your progress and cheer you on!

message 9: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Yes...i was doing some research on those who have successfully lost weight, and the common thread is support by either friends or family..so I thought, why not apply the same principle here?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

i am in as a buddy and looking for a buddy. :D i try to be very positive and i hope to encourage any one i am budding with.. we can do it. :D

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I am willing to take on more than one buddy if we are uneven. At sparkpeople.com they have points and challenges we can try and implement here. Easy of course. And with reading instead of points or something. Just a thought. They have sparkmail we have GR PM's. Great!

message 12: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Glad to have you joining us, Stephanie.

Pretty cool ideas, Kenjii. I might need somebody to help coordinate the weight loss challenge. Anybody interested?

message 13: by Felisha (new)

Felisha (sunkissedthoughts) | 175 comments This is a great idea. I'm in as a buddy and and looking for one.

message 14: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Welcome Felisha. Glad to have you aboard.

message 15: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments So far, we have four people who have expressed interest in signing up.

Yz
Kenjii
Stephanie
Felisha

I'm going to let this ride until Sat, Jan 31. Then I will assign the pairing for the month, and each one can create their tracking thread,set their goals and decide how often they plan to update it.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Thanks for taking interest in this Yz. I know you keep pretty busy with the other threads and groups. I am glad your on board with this one too.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 0 comments Sign me up. I'm new to the group, but like others need to lose weight too.

message 18: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Welcome, Brian'sGirl.

message 19: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments So far we have five people who have signed up:

Yz, Kenjii, Stephanie, Felicia, BriansGirl

Here are the buddy pairings for February.

Kenjii - Felicia
Stephanie - BriansGirl

I'm going to put myself as the odd person for now, until we get somebody, but guys, feel free to check my thread and support me, ok?

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 0 comments Post a thread for your progress stephanie so we can follow how you're doing.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

sorry been busy... i will post how i am doing...

message 22: by Kasia (new)

Kasia ok, so I'm guilty of looking @ this challenge, and not posting anything myself. You guys are doing great! Seriously!

If anybody still needs a buddy, I'm here to help. I'm gearing up to my own thread, maybe...

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Kasia yay! join us. We have buddies but I dunno what's going on with my buddy. Can you be my buddy?

message 24: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Kenjii wrote: "Kasia yay! join us. We have buddies but I dunno what's going on with my buddy. Can you be my buddy?"

no problem :)

message 25: by Felisha (new)

Felisha (sunkissedthoughts) | 175 comments Kenjii wrote: "I am willing to take on more than one buddy if we are uneven. At sparkpeople.com they have points and challenges we can try and implement here. Easy of course. And with reading instead of points or..."

I'm going to check out this site and let you know what I decide. We must keep each other on track.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments i like sparkpeople but when my depression kicks in and I miss a few days it turns it weeks and months and I never get back in the groove. I think the point system would work well and we could earn rewards =) i come here everyday and feel more comfortable sharing and I feel I'd keep better track of my goals here.

message 27: by Kasia (new)

Kasia I just stumbled upon this group on goodreads you might wanna check it out, if you like weight-loss stuff.

message 28: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments That group seems good, though I will stick with this one because I have gotten to know alot of people here already :) And its comfortable for me to talk about things with people I already know.

message 29: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 3550 comments Kasia, I'm not sure I want to belong to a group called Fatties Unite. Talk about offputting. Yikes.

message 30: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments LOL...same here, Barbara. I like to think of myself as pleasingly plump...LOL

message 31: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 3550 comments yeah me too!

message 32: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Thanks for the laugh. I think the weight-loss stuff here works just fine. I just threw it in there....

But good point guys! **giggle, giggle**

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 0 comments I"m just "fluffy". lol

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Haha. Ice Age.

message 35: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey I'm in if anyone needs a buddy. I started Weight Watchers back in November, but have stayed the same weight this past month or two and I really need to kick back into eating right and getting more active. I gained 25 pounds last year and have lost 15 of that so far.. but I need to lose a lot more than that.

message 36: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Welcome, Kristen. Go ahead and start your own accountability thread. We will be around to support you.