This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

Quotes about bad books

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David "Thank you for sending me a copy of your book. I'll waste no time reading it." - Moses Hadas

message 2: by David (new)

David "The covers of this book are too far apart." - Ambrose Bierce

message 3: by David (new)

David "Any reviewer who expresses rage and loathing for a novel is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae." -Kurt Vonnegut

message 4: by Roy (new)

Roy (mplwdscribe) "A bad book is as much of a labor to write as a good one, it comes as sincerely from the author's soul."
-- Aldous huxley

"It is far better to be silent than merely to increase the quantity of bad books ."
-- Voltaire

A bad book is the worse that it cannot repent.
It has not been the devil's policy to keep the
masses of mankind in ignorance; but finding that they will read, he is doing all in his power to poison their books.
-- E. N. Kirk

A dose of poison can do its work but once.
A bad book can go on poisoning minds for generations.
-- William Murray

message 5: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments (regarding A Child Called "It")

"Dave Pelzer’s first book in this series is phenomenal." By Kyndal C., St. Joseph, MO

That is a quote about a BAAAAAAD book.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 11, 2009 07:08PM) (new)

That book is terrible. It's about a fourth grade reading level (or an 800 Lexile, for all you teachers out there). How do you make such shocking and horrific content so dull and dry?

message 7: by Donitello (new)

Donitello What do you mean? Historians have been doing it for centuries.

message 8: by Donitello (new)

Donitello BTW, I met Dave Pelzer once. Sweet guy, but it is definitely a shame how his story was dishonored in the telling. Hardly the first time in recent history, though, and it won't be the last. My editor told me once that "good writing doesn't sell books." At the time, I assumed she was referring to non-fiction. Then the TWILIGHT series came along....

message 9: by Donitello (last edited Feb 12, 2009 02:04PM) (new)

Donitello Okay, I just slammed another author. Sorry, sorry, sorry. Hey, I agree that Stephanie Meyer has managed to "get kids to read," as so many have aptly pointed out. It's also probably true that Jerry Springer has gotten people to express their rage. Your point is...?

Okay, so my quote: "Obviously, Meyer is a great writer. I mean, just look at all the people she's drawn in!" -- Samantha, "Read Street," Baltimoresun.com.

(I know -- cheap shot. Sorry yet again.)

message 10: by Kasia (last edited Feb 14, 2009 03:04PM) (new)

Kasia about bad books & bad writers:

It seems to me that the problem with diaries, and the reason that most of them are so boring, is that every day we vacillate between examining our hangnails and speculating on cosmic order.
~Ann Beattie

A book may be compared to your neighbor: if it be good, it cannot last too long; if bad, you cannot get rid of it too early.
~Rupert Brooke

Most editors are failed writers - but so are most writers.
~T.S. Eliot

Many books require no thought from those who read them, and for a very simple reason. They made no such demand upon those who wrote them.
~Charles Caleb Colton

It's not plagiarism - I'm recycling words, as any good environmentally conscious writer would do. ~Uniek Swain

It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
~Robert Benchley

message 11: by Kasia (new)

Kasia one more:

One cannot review a bad book without showing off.
~W. H. Auden

Jackie "the Librarian" Love this one:
Most editors are failed writers - but so are most writers.
~T.S. Eliot

And then there's this one by Dorothy Parker -
"This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force."

message 13: by Donitello (new)

Donitello I am awash with admiration with stuff like this!

message 14: by Roy (new)

Roy (mplwdscribe) "I agree that Stephanie Meyer has managed to "get kids to read," as so many have aptly pointed out. It's also probably true that Jerry Springer has gotten people to express their rage."

LOL