Richard III discussion

Richard III, Shakespeare and the Tudor Publicity Machine

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 1139 comments Mod
OK, I confess that I've never read nor seen the entire play - only bits and pieces when it's been say a back story in a movie/TV show. Can anyone (Ikon I know you can) give me a brief rundown on the basic plot and it's history?

message 2: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Borrow the Olivier film version. It is a classic and brings out all the viciousness of the Tudor propaganda movement.

message 3: by Misfit (last edited Jan 19, 2009 06:52AM) (new)

Great, my VCR bit the dust...

Edited-my library has the DVD. Don't have a DVD player, but should work decently in the PC, although the widescreen will be a bit of a disappointment.

message 4: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Multi-tasking is a computer's raison d'être. LOL Warning: Olivier plays Richard as a thorough-going villain, a veritable monster. Just keep asking yourself how a man as twisted in body as Shakespeare describes could have been so renowned a warrior as Richard was. Even his enemies did not deny his prowess in battle.

message 5: by Misfit (new)

Looking forward to it. It's funny how he's come from being the most evil villain of all time (or at least close to it) and now being portrayed by some current novelists as next to godliness.

message 6: by Ikonopeiston (last edited Jan 22, 2009 06:48AM) (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments That ol' pendulum, she swing a tad too far most of the time. He was a man, a real man of his own time. I think he was unlikely to have killed the kids purely because he had no need to and he had never shown himself to be one who delighted in senseless killing. But, had he enough reason, I believe he would have done what was needed to be done. Real men are far more interesting than either saints or monsters, don't you think?