Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

True Blood > No Spoliers Please.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dannii (lilbob1980) | 7 comments Hi there

I have not read through any True Blood posts yet, because here in the UK it has not yet been aired and do not want any of it to be ruined, however, what have people's thoughts on the series been? Should I be getting excited about it or was it awful and strayed too much from the books?

Please no major spoilers in your responses.

Thanks

Dannii

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments I thoroughly enjoyed the books and the series. You will enjoy the series more if you can separate it from the books. Think of the books as Sookie's personal biography, and the series as what happened when she sold her story to HBO. You'll recognize characters and the the main storyline is from the books, but they take a lot of liberties with things to make them 'more intersting' or 'better for tv'

message 3: by Kandice (last edited Jan 19, 2009 01:58PM) (new)

Kandice Jessica is right. You have to be able to separate the two. There are characters I like MUCH better in the series than the books, and vice versa. The series is incredibly entertaining and close enough to the books that I was disapointed with knowing what was going to happen. (having already read some of the books.) It varies enough, that it's actually fun to pick out differences and additions and wonder where the writers will go from here. If it was exactly the same as the books, there wouldn't be much point in watching since there is usually a bit of mysterty!

Dannii (lilbob1980) | 7 comments I wouldn't want it to be exactly the same as the books, but I was very disappointed with The Dresden Files when that was made into a TV series, it really felt like only the names were the same. Whilst still an enjoyable TV series I felt it wasn't true enough to the books.

But thank you Jessica and Kandice, you have convinced me that I should be frothing whilst waiting for the UK screenings.

message 5: by Evelynn (last edited Jan 20, 2009 04:55AM) (new)

Evelynn Passino (evpassino) | 131 comments I liked the books more. I was a little disappointed with the show at first (seemed a little campy), but I got into it around the 4th episode. Can't wait for season 2.

Whoever said that you have to separate the two is right. If you try matching up the show with the books you will lose your mind.

message 6: by Shay (new)

Shay (shazelwoo) | 12 comments I liked the series and the books. I am ok that they are diff and felt like it gave me some suspense since it did to a point follow the book, and I liked that I didn't know exactly what was going to happen or how they might do it.

message 7: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 142 comments There was one major thing I really despised about the show that they took too much liberty with in my opinion. I can explain that after you see it. Otherwise I like the changes and the differences though you still knew the basic story line, there was enough they changed so that you didn't always know what was going to happen next or how. Very enjoyable :)