Relaxing Fun discussion

book discussions > Last book you read?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  (jessicaafrank) | 257 comments Mod
What is the last book you read? Would you tell a little about it?

message 2: by Yui (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:44AM) (new)

Yui (ilovegrendel) i just finished New Moon and it's the sequel to Twilight.

message 3: by Sarahcorn (new)

Sarahcorn (the-meowing-unicorn) | 14 comments I just read The Tales of Beedle the Bard...it's stories and it's closely related to Harry Potter

message 4: by Yui (new)

Yui (ilovegrendel) Really? I think I'll try that!

message 5: by Helen (new)

Helen | 5 comments Final Theory by Mark Alpert Final Theory A Novel by Mark Alpert

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Helen wrote: "Final Theory by Mark AlpertFinal Theory A Novel by Mark Alpert"

Helen, What is this book about? Okay, okay, I know my to-read list is over 100 books...far too many, but I enjoy books and I plan to read them all and then some.

message 7: by Helen (new)

Helen | 5 comments Jessica Frank wrote: "Helen wrote: "Final Theory by Mark AlpertFinal Theory A Novel by Mark Alpert"

Helen, What is..."

Hi Jessica,
The premise of this book is soooooo cool. I couldn't put it down. This book is based on physics (never liked science & math) and Einstein. Einstein came up with the theory of relativity. He was working on another theory called the theory of everything, but was not successful. This book suggests that he actually was, but the ramifications of its success were something he couldn't live with (such power getting into the wrong hands) and so he buried it. The story opens in present day with a (then young) scientist who worked with E, being pursued for what he might know. I won't say anymore,

Alpert has degrees in physics and writes for Scientific American as a journalist. It is his job to simplify scientific concepts. Such an educational background makes his story even more enjoyable to read because you know he knows what he is talking about.

As an educator, I promote lifelong learning. When I can learn a bit about some subject/theme (that I would not normally approach on my own) via fiction, it brings to mind Mary Poppins' "a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down." And it tastes good ! LOL

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Helen wrote: "Jessica Frank wrote: "Helen wrote: "Final Theory by Mark Alpert[bc:Final Theory A Novel|2301215|Final Theory A Novel|Mark Alpert|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I......"

Helen, This sounds great! I will have to read it.

I like learning while I read--your Mary Poppins quote says it perfectly.
Thanks.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 22, 2009 07:41PM) (new)

Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 4) by Charlaine Harris Dead to the World

message 10: by Karencilla (new)

Karencilla | 6 comments I just read The Shack. It was very good. But you have to be really open minded to read it. It is refreshing.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited May 02, 2009 06:50PM) (new)

oooo, that sounds good... I just started to read When Elephants Weep The Emotional Lives of Animals by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson When Elephants Weep: The Emotional Lives of Animals. it's one of the books on my college list.