Terminalcoffee discussion

Celebrate > Happy MLK Day...

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Happy MLK Day? Do you have off? Should the schools have off? What do you think of giving people off today?

We don't get mail today. I just remembered. Boogers. Anyway, this is one of those confusing holidays, as far as I'm concerned, because the banks and civic offices are closed but the stores and libraries are open. And some schools (esp. urban schools) are closed but most (my kids' included) are open. I'm not sure that closing down for the day honors anyone, but I can see why people think MLK should be honored at the same level as some of the other holidays for which we already are off.

I heard some companies were giving their employees paid time off to volunteer today...that seemed like a pretty cool idea.

What do you think?

(By the way, I was aware that I should avoid the phrase "get off today" because Bells rightly mocked me on facebook for referencing the same phrase in relation to a weather-related school cancellation. I've learned my lesson:)

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Have off with you! Sorry. Couldn't resist. ("Resist what?" he says.)

I don't get the day off -- but that's OK. I think it's fitting that the inauguration is happening this week.

message 3: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I absolutely think we should have a national holiday honoring if not MLK as an individual, then the entire movement for racial equality (still ongoing) that he symbolizes. Now, whether or not holidays really count for much of anything besides three-day weekends (woot!) is another matter... Still it's important to have it, symbolically. And yes, it is especially meaningful this year.

message 4: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Isn't that a great feeling?! I way overslept yesterday, and I was all bummed out for about 30 minutes thinking I was gonna have to take a benadryll last night to get to sleep on time to get up for work today, and then---OH! I don't HAVE to get up in the morning! Yay!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments RA, the libraries ARE closed today. It's a federal holiday, right up there with the 4th of July. Yippee!

It looks like I'm celebrating by doing some grocery shopping. :|

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Huh. I'll have to check on our library...I don't remember seeing a sign that ours was closed...maybe I missed it...but they take off for a lot of holidays (budget reasons, I suspect) so I wouldn't be surprised, now that I think of it...

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Happy MLK!
The schools here in my town are opened but I know that some schools here in Arkansas are closed.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 19, 2009 03:01PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Our local library, and the library in the town next to us, were both open today despite MLK day...I drove past the latter and saw someone enter then called my own to make sure they were open before going to pick up my reserve shelf materials.

You know, as much as I like having access to the books, Mindy's point in post #3 fits here. Our library is closed both New Year's Eve and Good Friday. If they're going to honor those days, they should be closed today, too.

message 9: by Cyril (new)

Cyril Good Friday?!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments That's weird, RA. They really should have been closed. We gave up a president's birthday in exchange for MLK Day, after all!