Plague Books discussion

In The News

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bettie (new)

Bettie (The Sun) At least 40 al-Qaeda fanatics died horribly after being struck down with the disease that devastated Europe in the Middle Ages.

The killer bug, also known as the plague, swept through insurgents training at a forest camp in Algeria, North Africa. It came to light when security forces found a body by a roadside.

The victim was a terrorist in AQLIM (al-Qaeda in the Land of the Islamic Maghreb), the largest and most powerful al-Qaeda group outside the Middle East.

It trains Muslim fighters to kill British and US troops.

Now al-Qaeda chiefs fear the plague has been passed to other terror cells — or Taliban fighters in Afghanistan.

One security source said: “This is the deadliest weapon yet in the war against terror. Most of the terrorists do not have the basic medical supplies needed to treat the disease.

message 2: by Bettie (new)

Bettie A Chinese woman has died from bird flu in the eastern Shandong province, state media has said.

It says Ms Zhang, aged 27, died at the weekend after becoming infected with the H5N1 strain of avian influenza.

It is the second reported death from bird flu in China this year. Two weeks ago, a 19-year-old woman died in Beijing after handling ducks.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 16 comments Mod
What is Monolaurin, Alice?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Monolaurin contains the monoester of the fatty acid lauric acid. It somehow helps dissolve the wall of some viruses if I understood right what I was told. I am take it during February (flu month for me) and going to day to buy a new bottle at Vitamin Cottage.

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 15 comments Bettie (Goodreads Reader!) wrote: "(The Sun) At least 40 al-Qaeda fanatics died horribly after being struck down with the disease that devastated Europe in the Middle Ages.

The killer bug, also known as the plague, swept through ..."

Where is this from? I have not heard of it. And just FYI, people get plague in the US all the time. Esp. in the southwest

message 6: by Bettie (new)

Bettie Terri wrote: "Bettie (Goodreads Reader!) wrote: "(The Sun) At least 40 al-Qaeda fanatics died horribly after being struck down with the disease that devastated Europe in the Middle Ages.

The killer bug, also ..."

Hello there Terri - this excerpt was from the UK tabloid newspaper 'The Sun' but on the date of posting, the report was pretty much across the board.

Yeah - I remember seeing the plague story, I think, on either ABC or BBC World News America at the time.

Saw this one today: http://news.aol.com/article/epidemic-...

They unexpectedly found a mass grave from an 1870 yellow fever epidemic down in Alabama.

message 9: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 15 comments sad

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, my great great Grandfather McCraw died of Yellow Fever and was buried in a mass grave with several of his children along the White River in Arkansas. Then his wife went back to AL in a buggy with my great grandmother, can you imagine?

Thanks for this fascinating link.

message 11: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 15 comments Yellow Fever killed tons of early americans. I have a book on the subject somewhere in my piles

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't know that. Please let me know the name of the book when you find it? When I was in Boston I bought a children's book about yellow fever and it was a fascinating book. I added a few questions from it on the neverending quiz and also noted someone else had added some.

message 13: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 15 comments I found a couple:

The American Plague: The Untold Story of Yellow Fever, the Epidemic that Shaped Our History by Molly Caldwell Crosby

An American Plague: The True and Terrifying Story of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1793 (Newbery Honor Book)

Yellow Jack: How Yellow Fever Ravaged America and Walter Reed Discovered Its Deadly Secrets by John R. Pierce and James V. Writer

The last was th eone I was thinking of.

message 14: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 15 comments Also if you ever watch the movie Jezebel with Bette Davis, it features a yellow fever epidemic

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for these titles. I had marked Yellow Jack to read I believe but hadn't heard of the others. I don't believe I have ever seen Jezebel, only thing I recall with Bette Davis was Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte (rather awful).

I like some Bette Davis movies, but usually her earlier ones; Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte is rather a late one for me.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Its the only one I can remember at the moment. What are some others? (bad memory here)

Well, Jezebel is from the late 30s, I think. Now Voyager is totally soap opera, but fun. All About Eve.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, I vaguely recall All About Eve. I don't remember Voyager at all!

message 20: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 15 comments All About Eve was great!

message 21: by Bettie (new)

Bettie Terri wrote: "All About Eve was great!"

"Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night"

message 22: by Bettie (new)

Bettie Mexico swine flu outbreak triggers global pandemic fears

Up to 70 dead as swine flu outbreak sweeps Mexico, crosses US border and prompts worldwide pandemic panic

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/...

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

My husband was telling me about this today. Thanks for this link.

message 24: by Barth (new)

Barth (barthanderson) | 3 comments I'm covering the topic at my blog (and my Fscebook page) if you're interested. I'm just trying to find good solid information for people.

http://barthanderson.livejournal.com/

message 26: by Bettie (new)

Bettie Barth wrote: "I'm covering the topic at my blog (and my Fscebook page) if you're interested. I'm just trying to find good solid information for people.

http://barthanderson.livejournal.com/"

Hello there - I have just ordered The Patron Saint of Plagues

:O)

message 27: by Bettie (new)

Bettie Susanna wrote: "Another article on it: http://news.aol.com/article/5-new-flu..."

Hello there Susanna, today, the BBC news site was playing it down:

"The world is better prepared than ever for a possible pandemic of Mexican swine flu, which has killed dozens, health chiefs say.

Forewarned is forearmed.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Barth wrote: "I'm covering the topic at my blog (and my Fscebook page) if you're interested. I'm just trying to find good solid information for people.

http://barthanderson.livejournal.com/"

Thanks, checked out your journal. I heard it is very mild but I need to be careful due to having asthma and being prone to catch the flu. In the book I read about the 1918 flu most governments lied the whole time. They didn't want to create a panic, it was much preferable to let people die.

message 29: by Bettie (new)

Bettie Sourced by xkcd.com

[image error]

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Dr. Mercola has a map we can watch:

Critical Alert: The Swine Flu Pandemic -- Fact or Fiction? (AA)

Urgent and vital information you need to know about the new swine flu threat that should help you sort through all the mixed messages the media is giving you.

Normally our editorial process has us test, research and review articles over a three week period before it finally reaches the newsletter. However, this article is an exception which is why it is coming out as a special alert.

The searches for swine flu on our search engine has broken all our records, so it is obvious there is an urgent and strong demand for this information. I regret that the report could not come out sooner but I was lecturing in Orlando last week at the American Academy of Anti Aging and when I went to return home on Saturday night, they closed O'Hare airport due to heavy rains - and they cancelled my flight. I was not able to get back to Chicago until Monday.

Read my ten page special report on this vital topic so you can avoid deception and manipulation by the conventional media.

message 31: by Barth (new)

Barth (barthanderson) | 3 comments God bless you, Bettie! ;)

Let me know what you think when you've finished it.

message 32: by Bettie (last edited Jun 11, 2009 02:51PM) (new)

Bettie WHO declares swine flu pandemic
The World Health Organization has declared a global flu pandemic after an emergency meeting.

What scientists know about swine fever:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/802...

message 33: by Bettie (last edited Jun 24, 2009 11:18AM) (new)

Bettie Swine Fever country by country:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/80...

message 34: by Bettie (new)

Bettie UK swine flu cases rise by 362:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/811...

message 35: by Bettie (new)

Bettie UK swine flu can no longer be contained:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/...

entirely worrying. Did anyone see the articles earlier this week on those Swine Flu Parties that are being organised on the premise that it is better to have an encounter with an early-case victim to work as an innoculation. Needless to say the 'gumment' issued warnings against holding such social occaisions.

message 36: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Sep 16, 2009 09:55AM) (new)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/en...

Parish records from as early as 1539, including many from the Black Death, go on the internet.

Apparently many a death from the Plague was marked merely with a "P."

message 37: by Bettie (new)

Bettie Yay Susanna, that's a good, good spot - I missed this item when I scanned through the BBC earlier.

message 38: by Bettie (new)

Bettie Not in the media news but pertinent:

My arm now feels like lead - anyone else had these swine-flu jeccies?

Not yet. Still reserved for the high risk categories here, I think.

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura it will take longer to get it in Brazil...

message 41: by Bettie (new)

Bettie Put your thumb and forefinger together - slowly draw them apart and stop at the moment they are no longer touching...

Hold It Right There.

That is how close our plumber was last week from falling of his mortal perch. He is now capable of drawing in 35% of his breath, just the rest assisted. Rest assured, I am knitting him socks.

message 42: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1 comments I live in Dallas and we have the first documented case of Ebola in the U.S. as of yesterday. I also, coincidentally, finished The Stand yesterday. A good Stephen King about about a military engineered super flu that destroys most of mankind. I will be looking for a new plague book now.