The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Gilmore Girls Discussions > Gilmore Girl's Series Finale

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Jenna (jentobox) | 16 comments How does everyone feel about the Gilmore Girl's series finale. I know the CW decided to end the show last minute, but I really felt that they half-assed the last episode. It just didn't do it justice and it wasn't fair to the fans who had been following it for what-- seven years! I was totally heartbroken that Rory and Logan couldn't be together in the end. I didn't want them to get married so young but no more Logan ever again? And come on, the way they wrapped the Luke and Lorelai situation. "You can stay here forever..." I don't know. I was really upset about. What do you guys think?

message 2: by Megan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Megan | 118 comments I am curious to know what ASP's last words for the series would have been. Yeah, the end was not the best but I do like that some of the loose ends were tied up to not leave us hanging. I also like that not everything was "final" for example not ending with a wedding or something. The last scene in Luke's with them just hanging out helps me to feel in my heart that out there in the cosmos the Gilmore Girls are still going on, even though we can't watch.

message 3: by Blanca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Blanca | 26 comments I didn't miss Logan. That would have just been a little too neat. And like Megan, I was glad that the finale didn't end with everything figured out.

I would have felt cheated if either GG had married or had a resolution with their men. The strength of the show for me was always focused around their relationship with each other and I was felt satisfied that the last show dealt with a turning point in their lives with Rory graduating and moving away for her first job out of college.

I like how things were hinted at having a shot with Lorelei and Luke, although I have to admit I missed Christopher. The "S'Wonderful" episode was one of my favorites in the last season. I feel the new writers did justice to the characters that ASP created.

message 4: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I agree with your first and second paragraphs, Blanca, but not with the last one. I always liked Chris until the last season, when I hated him.

message 5: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Characters are only as likeable as they are written to be (kind of like Jessica Rabbit wasn't bad, she was just drawn that way :>), and the writers bludgeoned Christopher in the end. I guess they were making sure we were all rooting for Luke/Lorelai, but I always kind of liked Chris. To say that we had to hate Chris in order to like Luke was a little insulting to our intelligence, I felt. Life doesn't always fit into tidy little boxes like that. O.K., maybe on TV, but this show was supposed to be different.

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Great points, Alison.

message 7: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
While this was not the original question, from the first few shows I was hoping for a Lorelai-Luke match-up. I LOVED when they started dating. I would have liked a little bit more of them together at the end. Even just a few minute scene to savor, you know?

I know a lot of fans were anti-Logan, but I liked him. I liked who each of them were with each other. They did a really good job with that. But at the same time, man, I am a girl with dreams, too, and I think she made an amazing choice. Either choice was a good choice, but she took the unknown and in some ways more difficult road. Even at my age, it'd be a tough choice (pursuing life-long dreams and discovering oneself through the world vs. love and marriage)... but at that age? Seems to me like she made the best choice.

Oh, and Christopher was cool, but I still always liked Luke for her... especially because it felt pushed with Christopher and she went to him brokenhearted... so rebound guy.

Okay, I'm officially delirious right now. Sorry if I'm not making any sense. It's late and I'm still sick!

message 8: by Arielle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Arielle | 120 comments Did anybody else feel that it was really sudden? Here we are going merrily along, and all of a sudden, BAM! Series Finale! I was sad and confused. Did I just miss the memo, or was it kind of unexpected? Usually there's buzz when a series ends, but I didn't catch any until the Sunday before the finale. I think that's why for me, the whole finale felt rushed and forced. Kind of like, hurry up, let's tie up as many loose ends as we can get away with. So, I was totally bummed. My not GG savvy hubby said it's probably because ratings were dropping or something. Say it ain't so!!
But, like Megan, I also loved the closing in Luke's. Poetic finality!

message 9: by Blanca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Blanca | 26 comments Oh, I agree Sarah that Chris was totally unlikeable towards the end in the last season, but it started out lovely and romantic. I just felt so relieved that finally, Lorelei was happy and was being adored. It didn't make sense why he dealt with his jealousy the way he did mid-season though. It came out of nowhere.
But I guess a happily ever after early in the season would have made for boring episodes.

Oh, and was anyone else disappointed with Marty's return being so creepy and awkward? I adored him before Rory and Logan began dating. He reminds me of a younger Tom Everett Scott, and I was bummed they didn't creat a love triangle between him, Logan and Rory.

message 10: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yeah, I didn't like the Marty thing. It was so pointless. It went nowhere.

Arielle, I'd heard months before that GG ws not coming back for an 8th season, so it wasn't out of the blue for me.

message 11: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Arielle, I knew that it was the series finale for some time before, but you are right there wasn't the buzz as accompanies most shows with a serious following like GG had. Then again, it wasn't a network show... so I'm sure that had to do with it.

When Pallidino left, they were considering taking it more than a season longer. Perhaps that is why the Marty storyline was in there... if they did then they would have something there to work with. But when they decided to end it, they brought him back as a friend's beau. Just a thought.

The thing is, how they did it was pretty realistic. I've known situations like that, especially in university, where a guy feels slighted and acts all weird - and the girl doesn't even know why. He moves on in a way, but with bitterness and sometimes, malice in his heart toward the old friend. It sucks. Guys are weird.

message 12: by Jenna (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Jenna (jentobox) | 16 comments Oh my gosh Blanca I agree with everything you said about Marty. He totally reminds of a Tom Everett Scott. What I've read about the season finale ws that it was realy, really last minute that's why the lasts eason had so many story lines. It was suppose to lead to another season but then the network decided to end it. I guess it was because I knew all these things that now when I think of that episode everything seemed so rushed. I feel all they really did in the last episode was try to give everyone in Stars Hollow one last line... not that I don't love Stars Hollow.

message 13: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments I just finished the series today. Sort of anti-climactic, I thought. I was disappointed in the way they ended Logan and Rory's relationship. Unless they were hoping to show how it wasn't really love, since Logan gave an ultimatum and gave up so easily. I thought Logan was kind of dumb to propose at the graduation party. I didn't think Rory--or was it just bad acting?--acted nearly crushed enough.

I didn't hate Christopher. I just felt he was probably right about Lorelai still carrying a torch for Luke. She would have felt cheated after a while in the marriage.

message 14: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristilarson) I agree with you Robbie. I didn't feel like Rory and Logan should have been over. I mean, didn't she really love him?! She walked away so easily.

Also, I didn't hate Christopher. Maybe we all love Lorelai so much that we didn't realize at the time that she actually treated Christopher pretty badly. And maybe not just Christopher, either. She was pretty selfish in regard to Max, too.

I seem to remember hearing that the series finale was a sudden decision. I was so upset when I heard! I'm still pretty bummed that it's over...

I was a little disappointed with the finale, but I didn't expect too much, because it was so sudden. I figured that they would try to fit everyone in for one last scene. It is hard to believe though, that through 7 years of the show, we never actually saw Lorelai get married. I was actually hoping for a Lorelai wedding.

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethhte) | 19 comments Ah, we did see Lorelai get married, but it was to the wrong guy (Christopher)! Maybe you meant "see" literally. I'm not sure if we literally saw the vows exchanged, but I have this image in my head of the French-only-speaking officiant getting really frustrated with Lorelai. Did I make that up?

I think I remember reading that Lauren Graham said that she was going to be really disappointed if the show ended with a wedding because core of the show was truly about the mother-daughter relationship.

I didn't hate Christopher either. I think he was a sweet guy who really did love Lorelai the best he knew how, but he was immature and wanted to be with her so much that he ignored his own knowledge that she really wanted to be with Luke. He says something at the end to the effect, "I thought I could live with being your second choice, but I couldn't..." The fact that he knew that he was second choice but chose to push things when Lorelai said that she wanted to go slowly, etc., indicates to me that he had some significant selfishness driven by his own desire to get her to commit. I did feel sorry for Christopher in a way because Lorelai did treat him badly, but on the other hand, I think he signed up for whatever she put him through because he knew he was taking advantage of her when she was vulnerable and he knew that she really didn't want to be with him in her heart of hearts.

message 16: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Elizabeth, I think you made that up! ;) I don't think we saw the vows.

I agree, Kristi, that Lorelai acted selfish most of the time, except when it came to Rory. She's still funny though.

message 17: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Was it selfish or self preservation? I mean, I think a lot of Lorelai's decisions regarding men were made from an unsure position... or a position of hurt (when it came to Luke and cutting that off). I really think she wanted Christopher to be "that guy" so she tried to convince herself... because it seemed to "make sense." But she was trying to forget/cover up/ignore the pain she felt regarding Luke. That's not so much selfish as it is self preservation in my book. Maybe I think that because to me selfishness includes intention, and I never felt she intended to hurt Christopher.

Weren't there vows? That whole Christopher wedding thing was so irritating and lame that I sort of washed it out of my head, I guess.

message 18: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Nope about the vows. They were in France and had a fancy dinner. They might have talked about getting married then, I don't remember, then, the next episode, we found out they got married.

I wasn't necessarily thinking of Lorelai as selfish just with regard to her relationships with men. Just in general--Luke and Christopher both pointed it out, and it usually wasn't necessarily that she was being selfish about them. The party her mom wanted them to have with a re-enactment of their vows, for example. Pre-Luke and pre-marriage to Christopher, I remember thinking how selfish she was being when she and her mom went to the spa together. When her mom called her on it, she came around a bit. Especially with her mother, she was so busy being bitter about the past (okay, and the present) that she completely lost sight that her mom was a human with feelings. Rory did her best to ground her. And, Lorelai showed her warmer side to her mom a few times.

I agree with you, Michele, about her not intending to hurt Christopher. Having been the one in Christopher's shoes too many times, I understand about her really wanting things to work with him.

I really like Lorelai, and I think the glimpses of her selfishness bring balance and complexity to her character.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) i was so upset by their decision to end the show...and i was really really disappointed with the finale..i mean..i know it would have been hard to end it all in one episode..but come on..i have been faithfully watching for how many freaking years..and THATS how it had to end?! but i can still reminisce watching old shows and making up my own ending in my head haha..

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (alittleturlesworld) I was really disappointed by the finale. I always thought that they should have ended up together - supporting each other in their careers. They grew together, they belonged together.

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I feel the Gilmore Girls finale ended with the potential for a movie adaptation. There are many tv shows out there such as Sex and the City, Veronica Mars, and Entourage that are being made into movies. I hope that the writers of Gilmore Girls consider this option, so we can find out what happens with Rory, and finally see Luke and Loreli get married.

message 22: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Silver (ssilver1215) | 17 comments I was really happy with the get together at the end of the show with all the neighborhood there and also with it ending openly; there is a lot left to our imagination. On the other hand, I missed Palladino, the last season had a different tone than the first six. But I still enjoyed it.

message 23: by Diana (new)

Diana | 4 comments It all ended too quickly for me. Rory graduated and then was immediately leaving to start her first job. The last season was disappointing throughout and the finale was the same. It was nice to see that Luke got the bon voyage party together and I am happy to see that Luke and Lorelai kiss at the end. But we never really get closure to the Rory/Logan breakup. They broke up one day and then she was not even upset by it the next. I would love to see a Gilmore Girls movie to see how it all ended up but for now I re-watch the series over and over again and take comfort in seasons 1-3, the classic Gilmore seasons.

message 24: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte   (cawcat) | 1 comments I have all the seasons on dvd too. My son bought them for me at Christmas a few years ago. I never tire of them. But, having said that they did leave a lot of loose ends.