The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Who is off tomorrow? (1/19)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments And....are you going to be reading??

message 2: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Not me! My husband and children are, so super unfair! I better not be expected to cook dinner;)!

message 3: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments That is not fair, Kandice! What does your hubby do?

message 4: by Kandice (new)

Kandice He works for Home Depot, but in the offices, not on the salesfloor.
I don't even care if they order in...I'm NOT cooking!!! (big baby whiner! I really just want the extra day off with them!)

Are YOU off?

message 5: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I'm off! I'll probably be reading and anticipating the aunuguration (I murdered the spelling of that) the next day!

message 6: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments I am off!

message 7: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments I want to finish this Jodi Picoult book, but I can't get off the computer.

message 8: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments Unfortunately I have classes tommorrow. Got to love that my university doesn't recognize MLKJ day as holiday except for the administration.

message 9: by Courtney (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:46AM) (new)

Courtney (chamilton12) I am off!! I work for the State so we have a paid day off!!

I'll be trying to finish Water for Elephants.

message 10: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture | 121 comments I'm off tomorrow AND because I live and work just outside of DC I'm off on Tuesday for the inauguration! Four Day weekend! I plan on finishing The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

message 11: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments I'm off. Yay for working for a university. :)

message 12: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments I wish we were off for the inauguration...those kids are going to be wild!!

JG (Introverted Reader) Work for me. No real holidays for healthcare workers, unfortunately :-(

message 14: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments Booooo

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie I'm off tomorrow! Actually my winter break ends on Tuesday. Though a lot of my teacher's have already e-mailed the class to cancel b/c of the inauguration. I DO NOT want to be on campus in the middle of all that insanity. I will be finishing The Amber Spyglass, and enjoying my last day of freedom :)

Kandice - That's so funny, my dad works for the Home Depot. He's got off tomorrow as well.

message 16: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments Jill, what do you do??

message 17: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments Katie, if I could I would totally cancel my classes.

message 18: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments I mean for Tuesday..

message 19: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments Carrie wrote: "Jill, what do you do??"

I'm just an administrative assistant, but we don't have to be at work tomorrow. I wish we did have Inauguration Day off on Tuesday. As it is, everyone will be streaming it on their computers.

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather I'm off tomorrow too! I'll be reading and getting ready for the next few weeks of teaching. I wish everyone could have Inauguration day off (selfishly I need a four day weekend). I told my students we were watching it on tv because it's too historic to miss.

message 21: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments How do you like working at a university? I think it would be pretty fabulous. My dream job is English Professor.

message 22: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments Carrie wrote: "How do you like working at a university? I think it would be pretty fabulous. My dream job is English Professor.
"

I love it. It has good benefits and it's a very relaxed environment. I actually work in the English department, so I'm surrounded by people who love books as much as I do. My to-read list is getting a little long as a result. ;)

message 23: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments How great!!

message 24: by Katie (new)

Katie Carrie- that's actually what I'm going to college for. I'm an English major and after I get my bachelor's I'm going to graduate school to get my PhD. It's my dream job too :)

My campus is in a city, so I would love it if all of my teachers canceled class on Tuesday. I want to watch the inauguration but I really, really do not want to be a part of all the rallies and such. I get annoyed when I'm trying to get to class and there are hundreds of people in my way lol

message 25: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments Wow, Katie! Good for you! I am working on my Master's in English right now. Liberal Arts actually, but whatever. I teach 11th grade English and Drama presently.

message 26: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I am off. I teach high school. I am intending on finishing The Gargoyle tomorrow.

message 27: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 157 comments I work 3 hrs. tomorrow. My kids have off from school.

message 28: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments Vicki---what subject?

message 29: by Vicki (new)

Vicki English, 9th and 11th grade. 9th is genre literature and 11th World Literature.

message 30: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments Wow! I am 11th too.

message 31: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I am off too! Work at a bank :)

message 32: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments WoohOO!

message 33: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) I work tomorrow, but I get holiday pay! yay for the library! :D

message 34: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments I'm off!!!
Wait, I'm off everyday....
But my boys are out of school and we are going shopping!!
:)

message 35: by Beth (last edited Jan 18, 2009 10:38PM) (new)

Beth | 342 comments I work for a financial company so when the NYSE and the Fed are closed, so are we. Yay for days off!

I hope to get some reading in, but probably won't because my husband works in the financial industry as well so he will also be home. I usually have a difficult time reading when he's around because he likes to pester me if he sees me with a book. :)

message 36: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10022 comments Mod
I am off, but its a fluke. I am scheduled to work Mondays, and we dont get MLKJ as a holiday, BUT... due to the economy and changes to our type of business, the company shut the building down over the weekend.... so Im off. So the hubby and I are going to take the kids out at some point, and I plan on reading as much as I can!!!

message 37: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments I WISH I WAS!
My kids and husband are and here I sit in my office....Urgh.
I'm hoping tomorrow is a snow day so I have an excuse to stay home.

Lori, how do you read with kids around during the day?

message 38: by Jon (new)

Jon Ill have to wait till the 26th for mine - Australia Day

message 39: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Borders never schedules me on Mondays so yes, I do have the day off. I do have an interview in a few hours though so it's not a totally "free" day for me.

message 40: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) I'm not working today. But my son has to. :)

message 41: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10022 comments Mod
Kelly, are you serious? Both of my kids are addicted to video games. When its cold outside and nasty, we dont make them go out (If I wouldnt go out, they dont have to either).... so the most interupption I get is "when is it my turn?" Ha ha ha ha!!!

They only get one hour of game time on school days, but on their holidays we spoil them a bit with it!

message 42: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments I am working. UGH!! My husband and kids have off. I also work in health care. For some reason people don't believe in taking off from being sick, hurt etc...LOL

I hope all of you who have the day off have a great day off reading or being with your family.

Those of us who have to work we can take comfort in knowing we are all in good company with each other...hehe!!!

message 43: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments Healthcare workers need breaks too!!!

message 44: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessikareads) Not me! Today is my first day of classes! :(

message 45: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments Oh no, Jess!

message 46: by Jean (new)

Jean Liota (gardenlady56) | 28 comments IMHO Tuesday the 20th is the real day for celebration.

message 47: by Kendra (new)

Kendra (kendrareadsbooks) | 23 comments Not off, but don't mind. I like the fact that the roads are clearer when no school buses & others are off...unless it's our week to have the kids:)

message 48: by Katie (new)

Katie I'm sorry Jess! That's so strange that they didn't just wait another day for classes to start. That's what my university did. Maybe MLKJR Day is a bigger holiday for some schools? Do you go to a private school?

I'm really enjoying this last day. The weather is particularly horrible here. It's cold and icy, and there is a little bit of snow but not enough to go sledding or go outside and enjoy. So I've decided to be lazy today. Plus my Eagles lost the NFC Championship yesterday :*( So I feel that I'm entitled to a little moping around haha. In a few minutes I'm going to lose myself in my book, it's starting to get really, really intense.

message 49: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments Jean, I think we should just be off until Wednesday! My students are going to be so hyped up tomorrow.

message 50: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (chamilton12) I agree Jean & Carrie. I have to go back to work tomorrow and I'm going to be sooooo mad I'm there. I wish I were off for the Inauguration. I've tivo'd the swearing in but I wish I were watching it live.

« previous 1