Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

How does everyone prioritize their promotions?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (jennienash) | 7 comments I'm new to Goodreads and to this group, and I would love to ask how everyone prioritizes the time they spend on various promotions when they have a book coming out. My fifth book will be out next month (a novel called The Only True Genius in the Family) and I am so swamped doing a virtual book tour, with all the attendent guest blogs and Q&As, etc., that I barely have time to do anything else. How do you know whether it's best to spend that time on GoodReads, for example....or Twitter or LinkedIn or MySpace? How do you know what works?

message 2: by Bradley (new)

Bradley | 19 comments Hello Jennie, I spend most of my time lurking on Goodreads. I suppose it depends on your subject manner to be able to garner people's interest. =)

http://www.cardshark.com/content/view...

message 3: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) I think discovering which sites work best for you is a case of trial and error. I signed up for so many sites, but as the weeks have passed I've drifted away from many of them as they simply didn't work for me.

Goodreads and Red Room are my favourites. I like the sense of community here... I think Goodreads is quite unique.

message 4: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 334 comments Mod
Jennie,

A lot depends on your genre. Some of my friends see a real boost in sales from MySpace. Others are doing stealth marketing by setting up Pages on Facebook and then playing various games (such as piratesrule) to make friends with their target audience without appearing to promote their books.

Whatever else you do, subscribe to penny sansevieri's newsletter penny@amarketingexpert.com

Best wishes,
Rowena Cherry

message 5: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (jennienash) | 7 comments So what I'm hearing is that there's no magic bullet?? Darn!

message 6: by Nina (new)

Nina | 89 comments I really enjoy Goodreads-can't say if there has been an increase in book sales due to the site, but I get so much from the forums and talking to other writers.

message 7: by Thersa (new)

Thersa It really is overwhelming, isn't it? If you do find a magic bullet do tell.

I find that I give myself time limits, one hour for blogging and reading friends' blogs, another for message boards and forums. If I don't I would be on this thing all day...and night.

And Jennie, congratulations on your fifth book!

terrie

message 8: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (jennienash) | 7 comments
Hi Rowena,

I've spent a bunch of time today on the book marketing site you mentioned, and it's very good -- much better than many others I know. Thank you for the tip. Can I befriend you on GoodReads?

Rowena wrote: "Jennie,

A lot depends on your genre. Some of my friends see a real boost in sales from MySpace. Others are doing stealth marketing by setting up Pages on Facebook and then playing various games (s..."

message 9: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (jennienash) | 7 comments I love your idea about time limits. I used to do that, and it seems that the busier I get the more that system falls apart. I'm going to try again. Thanks for the reminder.

Can I befriend you on GoodReads?

Nina wrote: "I really enjoy Goodreads-can't say if there has been an increase in book sales due to the site, but I get so much from the forums and talking to other writers."

message 10: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 20 comments Myspace works for me. Lately, I think Goodreads does. I do have one blog that gets hits and I hope helps with book sales. Going to conventions as a guest has helped me too.
I have a set time to do promoting, as I need time to write too. LOL
I did ning.com, though don't do much on that. I just joined twitter.com as other authors say it's good--I shall see.
And of course, I have a website.

I do online chats, guest blogging, plan to do a blog tour for my erotic urban fantasy by my pseudonym, Sapphire Phelan, that comes out next week, and post excerpts on yahoo groups I am with. As Sapphire, I have a newsletter too, that is slowly growing with subscribed readers.
I am not with Facebook and others--too much can overwhelm me and maybe take time away from my writing.

message 11: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (jennienash) | 7 comments Pamela wrote: "Myspace works for me. Lately, I think Goodreads does. I do have one blog that gets hits and I hope helps with book sales. Going to conventions as a guest has helped me too.
I have a set time to do ..."

Such good points. I'm trying twitter, but I don't really GET it :)

message 12: by K.G. (new)

K.G. Cummings (kgcummings) | 143 comments Jennie, I'm with you on twitter! I joined quite some time ago, but must be missing something as I seem to have missed what all the hoopla is all about. If anyone feels it's as great as it was tooted to me in the beginning, will you share about it? Maybe I'm just not viewing it properly. (blonde you know... ha ha ha!)
Smiles, Kathy

message 13: by Ginnetta (last edited Jan 23, 2009 05:55AM) (new)

Ginnetta I like Twitter. It's a great way to draw readers to your blog or where you want them to go, by adding your link to the question: What are you doing?

message 14: by Pamela (last edited Jan 23, 2009 09:41AM) (new)

Pamela | 20 comments I think it's getting other readers you don't have through what you're doing already. I think because a lot of people like to text and receive text. . . I don't text and go up to the site myself. But if it gets me people. . .even get them to buy my books as I do have couple coming out by both my writing names by Monday and maybe another anthology out next month, then helps I guess. Doesn't hurt and I can always stop if I feel it does not help.

Another thing I learned at Virginia Festival of Book when some publicity people (for those authors who can afford them) said something I never knew: NPR Radio sells more books than Oprah.
That;s why I tell all other authors go to any promoting panels/social media panels at conventions and conferences as you might learn something new you never knew before.

message 15: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (jennienash) | 7 comments Ginnetta wrote: "I like Twitter. It's a great way to draw readers to your blog or where you want them to go, by adding your link to the question: What are you doing?"

Hi Ginetta, Would you be willing to send us a link to your twitter-ing so we can see how you do it?

message 16: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) I can't get the hang of Twittering. I feel like I'm talking to myself. I do enough of that as it is ;o)

message 17: by Ginnetta (last edited Jan 23, 2009 09:37AM) (new)

Ginnetta Jennie wrote: "Ginnetta wrote: "I like Twitter. It's a great way to draw readers to your blog or where you want them to go, by adding your link to the question: What are you doing?"

Hi Ginetta, Would you be wi..."

I would be happy to share my Twitter handle with you and anyone else who wants to follow me: http://twitter.com/Ginnetta

Also, I would like to share this link I found today. It is a list of book trade people on Twitter. http://www.highspotinc.com/blog/2008/...

message 18: by Pamela (new)

message 19: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) Here's my Twitter page... I don't know quite what to do with it though.

http://twitter.com/gcolliasuzuki

message 20: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisechidley) Dear Todd and anyone else, I have a question. I just went over to check the tags on YOUR ROOTS ARE SHOWING, and it's been tagged 30 times for chick lit. And yet when I search for 'chick lit' (in the top search box under 'all departments') it isn't there! It's only there when I click on 'chick lit' next to the tags box. So does this mean we should also be requesting search terms for each other? In other words, when would a person stumble on YOUR ROOTS ARE SHOWING if they were simply browsing chick lit?

message 21: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisechidley) Ooops, I see I put my tag question in the wrong place. Sorry! I'll go over and put it where it belongs!

message 22: by Ginnetta (new)

Ginnetta Pamela wrote: "As Pamela K. Kinney: http://twitter.com/PamelaKKinney
As Sapphire Phelan: http://twitter.com/SapphirePhelan"

I like your blog.

message 23: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 20 comments Thank you.

Pamela wrote: "As Pamela K. Kinney: http://twitter.com/PamelaKKinney
As Sapphire Phelan: http://twitter.com/SapphirePhelan"

I like your blog.

message 24: by Rowena (new)

Twitter.

I'm rowenacherry.
I use a separate gmail account for all my Twitter mail.

You don't have to talk to yourself. You can reply to other people, but that's like a chat room.

Choose what you post carefully, to promote yourself with good taste and discretion. See what other authors are doing/posting.

However, here's the neat thing. Do a word search for "Library" (such a good tip that I cannot believe I'm sharing it!)

Then, follow all the libraries and librarians you can find. Many will reciprocate by following you, and then, you have libraries knowing your name and receiving your updates!

Before you tag them, though, make sure your profile is the way you want it. You can upload a banner, even a flashing gif, as your background. Mine is a bit much!

message 25: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) Thanks for the tip Rowena... I'm off to look for librarians now :o)

message 26: by Rowena (new)

Gina,
You are welcome, if we are not friends yet, let's be!

message 27: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) Friend request sent... and I am following your twitters. Or is it tweets?

message 28: by Rowena (new)

Good, thanks, Gina.
Off to my gmail account to follow yours, too.
:-)

And thanks to the taggers who raised Insufficient Mating Material to bump Jayne Castle on the futuristic romance page on Amazon.

message 29: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (jennienash) | 7 comments Hey, I'm getting this twitter thing. This has been enormously helpful to have all of you post your twitter URLs. Thanks! Does anyone know how to find author groups on twitter. Rowena's advice for finding librarians was pretty great. I imagine you just do the same but put...authors?

message 30: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 20 comments Rowena, thanks for the tip to search for library. Yeah, librarians are good to have.
I put what I write in search to find things I think I tried authors, but nothing came up.