History is Not Boring discussion

What should our next president read?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen (greenteareads) | 3 comments Hi, I'm new to this group but I've been thinking of the above question and thought that you folks would have worthy recommendations.

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen (greenteareads) | 3 comments read as in books.

message 3: by James (new)

James The Great Gamble: The Soviet War in Afghanistan, by Gregory Feifer (since he's planning to step up our forces and mission there);

Six Degrees: Our Future on a Hotter Planet, by Mark Lynas (the best book I've read yet on climate change; very well organized information)

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen (greenteareads) | 3 comments I was thinking The Best and the Brightest by David Halberstam; http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/07/opi...

The book (about the decisions surrounding the Vietnam War) was rich with depth and detail and I enjoyed Halberstam's writing style as well.

message 5: by Sera (new)

Sera Hot, Flat and Crowded by Thomas Freidman

Economist Krugman's book

message 6: by James (new)

James A Bright Shining Lie: John Paul Vann and America in Vietnam by Neil Sheehan is cautionary and relevant to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, too.

message 7: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (discipleshirley) | 113 comments A book on each major religion represented in the Us.

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin Maybe the Bible, that's like, the ultimate history book.

message 10: by James (new)

James '50 Facts That Should Change the World' and '50 Facts That Should Change the World 2.0' by Jessica Williams.

message 11: by George (last edited Jan 20, 2009 02:19AM) (new)

George | 179 comments well, if you want to get Obama's attention on the perils of Afghanistan, I'd prefer him to read George McDonald Fraser's Flashman, his comic historical novel of the destruction of the British forces retreating out of Kabul in the First Afghan war. The War to End all Peace would make for an interesting read as well.

message 12: by Will (new)

Will Kester | 1047 comments "Freakonomics; A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Eerything" by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. It turns everything you thought you knew inside out.

message 13: by Thomas (last edited Jan 20, 2009 05:34PM) (new)

Thomas | 44 comments [Book: The Search for Modern China]

A book that, although about 20 years old, gives a better historical perspective on contemporary China than a lot of the news I get.

message 14: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (booksmyth) | 4 comments I'd like him, and Hillary, to review Chang's Bad Samaritans and consider ways of reforming the international system to allow emerging states to more readily "emerge"

message 15: by Will (last edited Jan 23, 2009 05:32AM) (new)

Will Kester | 1047 comments I would suggest "The Ugly American." It isn't much like the old movie made from it. Not much has changed since it was written, oh, about fifty years ago. People are still people and beuracracies are still beuracracies. The book's usage of "Ugly American" has no relation to how we use it to describe Americans with bad manners. The ugly American was the good and smart diplomat, just physically ugly.

Probably not critical reading but suggested reading might be my novel, "Shifting Sands; A Clash of Cultures." It proposes (in fictional form) a solution to the Middle East situation. It's easier to find solutions in fiction than in reality.

message 16: by Arminius (new)

Arminius The Way the World Works by Jude Wanniski