Diana Wynne Jones Fans discussion

The Books > House of Many Ways

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K. (new)

K. Wolf (kazul9) | 5 comments I just found out that another book came out in the Howl's Moving Castle series called House of Many Ways. I'm about to order it from Amazon, but I was wondering if anyone else has read it yet. If you have, is it any good?
Thanks!

message 2: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I read it last year after it came out. It's good - not her best though but still fantastic to see Howl and Sophie again.

What annoys me though is that I haven't seen it in the shops yet at all - it's been out since July or something and my local Waterstones hasn't stocked it once. Piles of bloody Twilight and all the other books, but no Diana Wynne Jones.

But it is a good book, must read the Howl series again. You see more of Howl and Sophie in it then you did in Castle in the Air.

message 3: by K. (new)

K. Wolf (kazul9) | 5 comments Yeah, I looked at a few bookstores last time I was out, but couldn't find it anywhere. You're right though, Twilight has taken over the world's bookstores.

Awesome! I was a little disappointed at the lack of Howl and Sophie in Castle in the Air, though they were kinda there for most of it. Still a great book though.

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 30 comments Girl who reads all the time (this is the third book in as many days, all different authors, where the heroine reads all the time! Such a blatant appeal to the reader, who probably is and does!)

Anyway back to business, she has influential connections, meets a domestically inclined male, has a distant mother (as usual in DWJ), and saves the impoverished pocket kingdom! Lots of fun on the way with evil purple people, Wizards impersonating children, screaming children, bags of laundry, a magical house and a cute little dog. And a hot tin roof.

Issues of republicanism, class struggle and nepotism are not directly addressed :)