Shannon Hale Fan Club discussion

Book of A Thousand Days

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zandy (new)

Zandy I am starting to read this book, and it is very good. It is about a maid and mucker, named Dashti, who is 15 and is forced to live in a tower for 7 years with her lady, who disobeyed her father and refused to marry a particular man. A very good book!! what do you think?!

message 2: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) Amazing! I really loved it! There were lots of things I didn't expect, like how absolutely obedient she was through out the whole thing. But that just made it better 'cuz I didn't expect it.
How far are you? Whats happening?

message 3: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (adriennej) | 15 comments yeah, this is one of my fave books. I really liked the ending.

message 4: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) Me too! *sighs* and I loved the cat. what was his name?

message 5: by ~♥Alyssa♥~ (new)

~♥Alyssa♥~ (Lyssie123) | 154 comments His name was My Lord. I thought it was a weird/stupid name at first, but now it's grown on me. I wish I could have a cat like My Lord!

message 6: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) lol! Now I remember! Wasn't he orange?

message 7: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) yeah... I like kitties... sorta. that's kinda an understatement...

message 8: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 27 comments Ya i like cats to in fact i have 8!!!

message 9: by ~♥Alyssa♥~ (new)

~♥Alyssa♥~ (Lyssie123) | 154 comments Wait, I thought My Lord was gray...like a beech tree or something. He reminded me of my friend's kitten named Champ. She had to give him away, though.

message 10: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) I so wish I could have 8 cats! that would be heaven! but it's against my city's law. we can only have 6 pets. we're already breaking the rule by having 2 cats and 6 chickens.

message 11: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 27 comments That sucks if i lived in your city i would totally be breaking the rules because i have 30 chickens 8 cats 4 dogs 3 horses 2 birds 2 goats and some gold fish i LOVE animals but then again who doesn't? and My Lord is gray

message 12: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 187 comments I love animals too and hate smelly cheese.

message 13: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) I've got 2 goldfish, but the law doesn't care about fish. lol. do you have a farm or something?

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah I thought My Lord was gray too. ??

message 15: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) I'll check 2day.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

kk

message 17: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) crap! I forgot. well, rather, it wasn't in at the library. My mom's read it more recently then me and she says he's gray so... I guess your right.

message 18: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 187 comments I have a gray cat his name is popcorn.

message 19: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) no, you have 2 black cats. or did you lie to me?

message 20: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 187 comments i have 5 cats 2 black 1 gray 1 mutlti and 1 brown

message 21: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) What?!?!?!?! 5 cats?!?!?!?!?! Thats more than Mrs. Freaky Cat Lover over here!

message 22: by Jessie (last edited Jun 25, 2009 01:13PM) (new)

Jessie | 187 comments Who is Mrs freaky cat lover? And they are not all mine 2 are mine 1 is my dads 1 is my moms and 1 is my brothers

message 23: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) me

message 24: by Jessie (last edited Jun 25, 2009 05:46PM) (new)

Jessie | 187 comments okay that makes sense but aren't you the freaky chicken lady?

message 25: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) no, thats my mom

message 26: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 187 comments o that makes sense

message 27: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) y?

message 28: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 187 comments i have no clue.

message 29: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) *shakes head in pity*

message 30: by Katy (new)

Katy | 303 comments ummm i don't really have any clue what we are talking about anymore.

message 31: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) me neither.

message 32: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 187 comments We are talking about cats but we should be talking about b1ooo

message 33: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) k. so talk about B1000

message 34: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 187 comments I loved the ending

message 35: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) mee too!
have you guys seen the new cover? it's not half bad!
Book of 1000 Days new cover

message 36: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 187 comments i like the old one way better. why are they changing the covers?

message 37: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) I agree, but it's not as bad as some other covers they've changed.
idk. ask the publishers.

message 38: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 187 comments i wish they would leave well enogh alone.

message 39: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) so agreed.

message 40: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 17, 2009 05:13AM) (new)

Think of it this way: The Goose Girl has been out for about six years, correct? Bloomsbury knows how it sold in those six years, about four of which the novel has been out in paperback.

People DO judge books by their covers. Someone who didn't find the scenic cover of The Goose Girl attractive might not even flip the book over to see what it's about. However, that same person might prefer to see real people's faces and decide to give the novel a shot with the new cover.

It's marketing. Publishing is a business, and publishers want to sell as many books as possible, which means updating book covers if it's deemed necessary. And fans' opinions, sadly, don't mean much.

But I don't understand changing Book of a Thousand Days's cover. I know that plenty of times, the covers are changed between hardcover and paperback versions (again, the publishers now have a sense of how the book sells with a particular cover, except hardcovers and paperbacks probably sell differently, which would be another consideration, I think. You're kind of going after two different audiences, I believe), but I do feel that the hardcover cover of Book of a Thousand Days is pretty modern-looking and eye-catching, whereas the the older Books of Bayern covers would appeal to a smaller percentage of the population.

If you look at current YA covers, especially those of people books, there's not many that are like the older Books of Bayern covers. The new ones fit in much better, and the publisher doesn't really care if the fans like them or not. The fans are already going to be buying the books and recommending them; they're after a new audience.

But the hardcover Book of a Thousand Days? That cover seems to fit in with the covers of YA lit today.

message 41: by Naomi (last edited Jul 17, 2009 09:23AM) (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) that's makes sense. thanks. I only had one of her books until recently, and then they started changing covers, so I rushed out and bought the books in the old covers before they were impossible to find, which cost me quite a bit of money. could that be part of they're plan to get more money? they know the old fans will want the old covers, so making those more expensive (hardcovers) while the newer fans haven't seen the old covers so are content to but what they see in front of them (paperbacks)? ...if that makes any sense...

message 42: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 187 comments :)

message 43: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) what?

message 44: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 187 comments i just smiled because i did not know whay to say.

message 45: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) i see...

message 46: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 187 comments well i am glad you see i see too.

message 47: by Naomi (last edited Aug 05, 2009 11:07AM) (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) *shakes head in sympathy*

message 48: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 187 comments *wonders why*

message 49: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) *ignores*

message 50: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 187 comments *does a dance and sings ole mcdondle*