Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Dawn Keepers

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I have reached the half way point of this book, and I have to admit, I am bored silly. I really enjoyed the first book of this series, but I just can't get into this one. There seems to be too much information, if that's possible. I feel like I'm reading an encyclopedia. Very dry. The chemistry between the main characters is great, but those scenes are few and far between at this point.

Did anyone else have this problem? Maybe it's just me and I need to read something differant for a while. That happens sometimes. I'm just trying to figure out if I should finish it or stop wasting my time.

message 2: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I haven't read it, but now I'm intrigued. I was planning to read the first book this month, but this is the first I've heard of a PNR having too much information. It's usually the opposite.

Do you mean that the information is just conveyed in a clumsy and non-digestible way, like in walls of text? LOL. 'Cause I've seen that, and that is certainly annoying, I agree.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

If I was taking a class in Mayan history, this would be the book to read. It's 15 pages of text book info, followed by 1 page of dialogue, 15 more pages of info, 2 pages of an action scene, back to info. The author is a doctor of molecular genetics, so I expected quite a bit of factual information, but this has my eyes glazing over, kind of like some of my college classes all over again.
The plot is great, but I think it may have lost me somewhere along the way.

message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments That does sound dreary, I have to admit, kind of like those tedious, mundane scenes about insignificant details that you just have to skim (do I really need to read about her washing her clothes?)

But I have to admit, I'm a bit of a nerd and reading about cultures isn't something I mind. I like the idea of an educated author who does her research. (Maybe I'll make a shelf for them, LOL.)

I do mind pages of info when it's between lines of dialogue. That kills the flow for me. Good point though. I'll look for that when I read it.

message 5: by Natasna (new)

Natasna (njiggetts) Lillie wrote: "I have reached the half way point of this book, and I have to admit, I am bored silly. I really enjoyed the first book of this series, but I just can't get into this one. There seems to be too much..."

I agree I read the first and it was good but I only got to chapter 3 and I couldn't take it any longer

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm glad I'm not alone. I ended up skipping to the end then passed it on to a friend. Maybe she'll get more enjoyment out of it.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Lillie wrote: "I'm glad I'm not alone. I ended up skipping to the end then passed it on to a friend. Maybe she'll get more enjoyment out of it."

Yeah, I felt the same way. It was really sad, because the premise was so terrific. And so original. It sounded like a nice break from the usual werewold/vamp/otherworlder action, and who doesn't like a good legend-turned-reality story?

Sadly, like you, it took about three chapters before I just couldn't go on. Dry is a good phrase for it. Bad editing is another that comes to mind. If they had halved the book and managed to integrate the legend stuff with the actual storyline, she would have had a killer of a series-starter, and could have added the other details as she went along. As it is, it just doesn't hit any buttons for me.