Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Working for the Devil - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments This thread is for those who have already read this book and would like to talk about it

I'm not sure if this thread is going to be necessary, if people end up just using the other thread that's fine. I just don't want people to inadvertently read something that might ruin the story.

message 2: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments I finished this book today, and although I enjoyed it, I was sort of disappointed with the ending. Is Jaf really dead? or will he be back in the next books? I really want to know.

I was starting to like how Dante and the demon's relationship was progressing, so I was really bummed at how it ended up. I guess that's why I prefer my PNR books...because I know my HEA is guaranteed...LOL...

message 3: by Kasia (last edited Feb 11, 2009 07:36AM) (new)

Kasia Yz wrote: "I finished this book today, and although I enjoyed it, I was sort of disappointed with the ending. Is Jaf really dead? or will he be back in the next books? I really want to know.

I was start..."

Do you really want to know about Jaf? Really? Cause you wouldn't find out until almost all the way through the 2nd book. I can share the knowledge though...

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I read the blurbs for the next couple of books because I, too, had to find out if Jaf was really dead. I'll just say that what I read in the description of book 3 gave me hope. :)

I really liked the way she wrote that romance. It was sooo subtle, but great. I loved the way it was slow, like Dante is slowly starting to think of him as a man and not a demon, and she starts to defend him, and then there was one part where she talks about how she used to think he was plain, but now she's noticing little things and it turns out he's a "looker."
I thought that was really cute, because that totally happens in life. When you get to know someone and they go from average to really attractive because you're starting to see who they really are. I felt like that was a realistic portrayal of someone kind of starting to fall in love but not really realizing it.

message 5: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Nichole wrote: "I read the blurbs for the next couple of books because I, too, had to find out if Jaf was really dead. I'll just say that what I read in the description of book 3 gave me hope. :)

I really liked..."

I liked Working for the Devil a LOT, and I'm 100% behind everything you've said. It's one of my fav UF books, however, I cannot say that about the rest of the series :( I had some issues with it, but I don't want to be a spoilsport...

message 6: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments I don't mind spoilers.

Just like Nichole, I enjoyed the very understated, subtle changes in Dante as Jaf slowly transforms from the unwelcome familiar/pet demon to someone more in her eyes. I guess I want to know if there will be a romance angle in this storyline or not...LOL..I know I shouldn't always ask for such in a UF series, but I will be sorely disappointed..so I want to know a little bit more before I read more of the series.

I was actually depressed when I get done with the book, that even though it was 4 am, I actually grab another book, a definite romance, so I can read something with a "happier" ending...LOL>.

message 7: by Kasia (new)

Kasia This is for you Yz.
(hope it's readable enough)

Yup, there's a big romance angle to the stories. Demons aren't that easy to kill, it turns out. Working for the Devil left me hanging... I kept asking reassuring myself: "She wouldn't kill off such a great, vivid character, and ruin this unique relationship!"

And then as I started reading book 2, it got so obvious... Dante, all shattered, and guilt ridden, mopes around and obsesses about Jaf's death throughout the whole book. The way I saw it: if Saintcrow is having the heroine grieve so much, it must be for a reason, the reason being - it's not over with Jaf. Da! ...2nd book was exasperating :(

After that, the story gets better. We get HEA of sorts but with trust issues between the power couple (which after a while started bothering me big time).

I like Dante & Jaf, so I did stick with the series. If there's a new book coming out I'll read it, though I expect it to be annoying at times.

message 8: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments Thanks, Kasia.

Okay, I think I will continue with the series because I would want to know the progress between Dante and Jaf. The writer tends to repeat certain phrasings over and over that sometimes bother me, but I guess I'm curious enough to put the other books in my list.

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments When I first read this series I also had the same thoughts that you did YZ. I wanted to keep reading just to see what happened with Dante and Jaf. If that's what you're looking for.. hold on for a little while longer :)

Although book 2 was my least favorite.. lack of Jaf. :(

message 10: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments Okay...I'll keep going...I seem to like demons these days, anyway...LOL...

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah.. I like demons in books. I think my favorite demon might have to be Cadeon from Kresley Cole's series. Him and his lickable horns as Nix always says lol.

message 12: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments LOL..oh yes, Jess...Cade definitely rocks...and I like the expression "my demon"...it just tickles me pink. Another demon I like is Daunaun from Jackie Kessler's Hell on Earth books. Now he was a bad demon in a..cuddly sort of way...LOL..

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Oh I haven't had a chance to get to that series yet.. but now that I know there are demons, I might just push it up on my list. :)