SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
This topic is about Grave Memory
Archive: Past Book-of-the-Month > [Sept 2012] "Grave Memory" Discussion **Spoilers**

Comments (showing 1-35 of 35) (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 23757 comments This is the discussion thread for our September BOM: Grave Memory by Kalayna Price.
Spoilers Welcome Here

Please include in your discussion:
* How would you rate the continuity within the series?
* How was the action in this book compared to those previous?
* Did you have a favorite quote or scene?
* Would you recommend the book to others?
* Do you plan on reading the rest of the series?

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (Jkat9) | 370 comments Yay! I'm excited about this one! It'll be difficult to wait until September, but I have plenty of books to keep me going until then.

message 3: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 23757 comments I have all three, just need to start the series.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (Jkat9) | 370 comments Steph wrote: "I have all three, just need to start the series."

You'll definitely have time to catch up with us by September. I really enjoyed the first two books.

Josie | 1961 comments Oh I was a bit eager so I read it as soon as I got it but looking forward to the discussion!

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (Jkat9) | 370 comments Josie wrote: "Oh I was a bit eager so I read it as soon as I got it but looking forward to the discussion!"

I can't believe I've been able to wait this long. : ) Glad to see you liked it.

Josie | 1961 comments Wow that's restraint! Although there has been no announcement for the next book yet, going to have to wait ages :(

Leah | 711 comments I'll be reading this right at the start of September!

*jumps up and down with excitement*

message 9: by Gin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gin | 99 comments I'll start at the beginning of sep also

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (Jkat9) | 370 comments I can't believe I've been able to wait this long! I'll definitely start this one at the beginning of September too. I can't wait!

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (Jkat9) | 370 comments I should start reading this one tonight or, at the very latest, tomorrow.

Paris (PAH13) | 1183 comments I kept trying to read this all through August, but kept pushing it back. I'm gonna jump in and read this now so I can join in the conversation!

message 13: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah | 711 comments Jean wrote: "I can't believe I've been able to wait this long! I'll definitely start this one at the beginning of September too. I can't wait!"

Me too!

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (Jkat9) | 370 comments That's good. Now you can join us! More fun than reading on your own. : )

Ellese (FaithfulUmbrella) | 60 comments Haha It is finally September! But I read this book in August before I even saw this thread...therefore, I will let some people catch up then give my discussion on the book :)

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (Jkat9) | 370 comments I started this one yesterday and read WAY past my bedtime last night. I'm at page 168 (about 45%). I'd say the first 100 pages are pretty good, but then it gets really good and hard to put down.

There are a few books that make the magic user pay a price for using magic. Has anyone read the Allie Beckstrom series (first book is Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk)? I think I would much rather have to deal with pain (like Allie) than have to lose my eyesight like Alex. So scary! Plus, at this rate she might not be able to see (or read!) when she gets older.

Ellese (FaithfulUmbrella) | 60 comments Ooooh I admit I liked the idea that the character had to pay a price for her magic. It makes her seem more...I dunno human or something? I will DEFINITELY have to check out Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (Jkat9) | 370 comments The Allie Beckstrom series is pretty good. The author definitely takes you for a ride, and it's pretty difficult to predict what's going to happen.

message 19: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah | 711 comments I loved the Allie Beckstrom series. There are certain scenes in her books that really stand out for me, and I still remember them now (even though I read them quite a while ago).

I would take pain over eyesight, but sometimes Allie loses a memory in addition to the pain. I don't know if I would want to risk losing my memories....

Josie | 1961 comments Oohh, I have Magic to the Bone to read on my kindle, so I'm liking that there are some fans of the series!

I love her loss of eyesight too (I also like that she has to wear glasses sometimes, there aren't many spectacle-wearing-heroines). IMO, this series is what Anita Blake and Rachel Morgan (don't shoot me fans, for me it had potential but for reasons I had to stop, I'll probably try to continue someday) should have been.

Oh and I love Death. Defintely Team Death ;)

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (Jkat9) | 370 comments Leah wrote: "I loved the Allie Beckstrom series. There are certain scenes in her books that really stand out for me, and I still remember them now (even though I read them quite a while ago).

I would take pain..."

Oh that's right! I forgot about the memory loss. I guess in that case I'd rather lose my eyesight. Hmmmm... that's a tough one.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (Jkat9) | 370 comments Me too! I'm Team Death as well. : ) Do we have any who prefer Falin?

message 23: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah | 711 comments Jean wrote: "Me too! I'm Team Death as well. : ) Do we have any who prefer Falin?"

pFFFF Falin Schmalin. Team Death all the way!!!

message 24: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah | 711 comments I'm on page 118. I'm liking it so far, but I wish there was a bit more action. I'm feeling like Alex is watching everything happen, rather than being actually involved. Hopefully it picks up a little bit.

Also, no real significant Death OR Falin scenes yet.... and I'm not that patient!! ;)

Josie | 1961 comments You just wait, Leah!

I thought the beginning was a bit slow but it picks up in the second half :D

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (Jkat9) | 370 comments The first hundred pages were a bit slow, but then it definitely picks up.

Leah - You're probably really close to the "good" stuff.

Paris (PAH13) | 1183 comments I'm always on the opposite side of the love triangle war. I prefer Falin over Death. Although both are yummy.

I like the fact that there is a consequence to her magic just like in the Allie Beckstrom series, which I love and am sad that the final book comes out in November. And Josie, I totally agree. This is exactly what the Anita Blake and Rachel Morgan series should have been..and were in their early stages. I really hope that Kalayna doesn't veer off into the realms that the other authors did. I can't read either of those series anymore, although I stuck with Anita longer than Rachel.

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (Jkat9) | 370 comments I think I started out Team Falin and then moved over to Team Death. There's a good possibility that I'll switch back at some point...

Ellese (FaithfulUmbrella) | 60 comments Paris wrote: "I'm always on the opposite side of the love triangle war. I prefer Falin over Death. Although both are yummy.

I like the fact that there is a consequence to her magic just like in the Allie Beckst..."

Haha I am the same way with comparison on Anita Blake and Rachel Morgan. I made it hecka far in Anita but got realllly tired of the singular plot line (Anita sleeps with another person, they become part of her flock, they fight big bad beasties, and have sex. Again) I have their next books waiting to be read just...can't bring myself to do it :(.

As for a team thus far in the book? I am unsure, if I put the other two books with my knowledge of this one?? Maybe Falin...because to tell the truth (view spoiler)

Josie | 1961 comments @Paris: That's what I'm worried about too! I stopped after Anita #9 because I'd been warned and after Rachel #5 because... well everything just annoyed me, so fingers crossed with Alex!

@Jean and Ellese: I did like Falin in the first book and I was torn over who to pick (I did wonder if it was going to be one of those rare series where I like both of them equally) BUT (view spoiler)

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (Jkat9) | 370 comments I finished this one up and really enjoyed it. My only problems with the book were the slow beginning and the love triangle. I'm not a huge fan of the love triangle. (view spoiler)

Ellese (FaithfulUmbrella) | 60 comments @Josie I totally agree on how you felt towards Falin. I know, I KNOW he is under the Queen's power but I just hate it! (view spoiler) Ok now that I have disected that particular novel....lol

@Jean, Yeah it does end weird...and now we have to wait for-freaking-ever to get the next one :( Annoying!! lol I also hate love triangles...

Paris (PAH13) | 1183 comments I finally finished this last night. It was so easy to stay up way too late after I slogged through the first 100 pages or so. I loved so many things about it that I'll talk about in a minute, but I have to say something about the love triangle. Hopefully what follows makes sense. I've been interrupted by work (can't they see I'm talking books) so it might not.

Even after this I'm still 100% on Falin's side. Even more so after this book I think. Now I get why people are anti Falin...he is the Queen's bitch, but hopefully that'll change so he can stop hurting Alex. He doesn't want to and he fights against it when he can, he looks for loopholes, etc. Those moments that they shared were heartbreaking because you could tell how badly he wanted to be with her. Especially when he (view spoiler) I think he would rather hurt himself than hurt her.

But Death on the other hand...he's really only around when she's in trouble. He doesn't just pop by. She can’t count on him either. He didn't declare his feelings for her until she started seeing Falin. He was just as standoffish in this book as Falin was until (view spoiler) and he doesn't really have the excuse that Falin does. Sure Death's people don't want him to be with Alex, but they haven't bound him to obey their every word like the Queen has Falin. He could rebel way more than he has…

Plus...how long have Death and Alex known each other and she still doesn't know his real name? What the heck is that? Plus, they can't ever really be together. Death and Alex have more against them than Falin and Alex do, but it doesn't seem as drastic as Falin's having to obey the Queen. Maybe cause Falin is for more dangerous as her puppet than Death is? I don't know.

I'm super excited about the last line of the book. I can't wait to see how that changes things. Although I do hope that she goes one way or the other for good because the love triangle is getting a little tired.

★ gwiz ★ (ggwiz) Death in the foreground of the storyline in this book was very inventive. I had been wondering how it would be possible with the creation of this world's rules. And I was so enjoying Death's participation as he has been in Alex's life for so many years and through him there was more insight to her past. A well written series and it the suspense for the next book will be hard.

message 35: by Gin (last edited Sep 14, 2012 09:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gin | 99 comments Paris wrote: "I'm always on the opposite side of the love triangle war. I prefer Falin over Death. Although both are yummy.

I like the fact that there is a consequence to her magic just like in the Allie Beckst..."

I think I prefer Falin also. I like Death, but he's the obvious choice......the love at first sight guy. I think I prefer the sarcastic bickering type couples

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Grave Memory (other topics)
Magic to the Bone (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kalayna Price (other topics)