Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

I have a question...

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trina (new)

Trina Sonnenberg (tlcpro) | 19 comments Hello; I am new around here. My name is Trina Sonnenberg, and I need some pointers.

I self-published a book last year; a book of poetry. LuLu.com was great, but I want a publishing house to handle the book that I've just ,today, finished. Can anyone tell me what the process for submitting to a publishing house is, and help me in choosing one to submit to? I have no idea what to do next.

My book is a novel; a love story.

Thanx, in advance, for the help.
Trina

message 2: by Chariss (new)

Chariss Walker | 18 comments I would also like to know how to be picked up by an established publishing house after you have a book in print. It seemed like when I was looking for a publisher before I opted to self-publish, the main complaint was that I was a new author. Now that I have a book published, how do I find a publisher who will work for me?
My books are non-fiction.
Thanks for anyone who wants to help.

message 3: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (Rowenacherry) | 334 comments Mod
Hello, Chariss and Trina.

If you write Romance, consider joining Romance Writers of America. rwanational.org

It will cost you $75 a year, and after that you can buy membership in local, regional, genre chapters of RWA.

If you don't write Romance, you might join EPIC (really for electronically published authors) epicauthors.com

Finding a New York publishing house, and an editor who is eager to acquire you/your work is a long, difficult, expensive quest for most of us. Tales of spending 6-12 years are not uncommon.... and that was before the downturn.

You should also join Publishers' Weekly, which will cost you $20 a month, and you will get daily emails of industry news, and a webpage on the PW site where you can promote yourself, and advertise which products and rights you want. Agents and editors will take a look (which doesn't mean they'll be interested, but it's a start).

There are two ways of looking at your status. The bad news is that there are some really notorious vanity press companies who have given self-published works an unfair reputation.

The good news is that a few bestselling authors began their careers with a self-published book.

If your self published works made you a decent income, won (judged) awards, got excellent reviews etc, and are in the same genre as the book you now want to sell, then you have something to work with. Enter published contests if the timeframe allows.

To save time and tears, you need to go where the editors are. Conventions. Conferences. Online chats. Publishers' forums. PW. Finalist judging of appropriate contests. LinkedIn.com . EPIC.

Know which publishing houses buy the sort of book you write, and find out the names of editors who have bought books similar in style and treatment to yours.

Make friends with authors. Do not think of them as rivals. Some authors mentor trusted "fans" who have become friends.

Another tip is to find a freelance editor who helps copyedit for a fee. (often $1 a page). Sometimes they love a client's book, and will recommend it to a colleague. Even if they don't, you have invested in a professionally copyedited book (or at least submission if you cannot afford to have the entire work privately edited).

Best wishes,
Rowena Cherry
Futuristic romance

message 4: by Trina (new)

Trina Sonnenberg (tlcpro) | 19 comments Thanx for the advice. What are your thoughts on literary agents?

message 5: by Chariss (last edited Jan 19, 2009 08:29AM) (new)

Chariss Walker | 18 comments Rowena wrote: "Hello, Chariss and Trina.

If you write Romance, consider joining Romance Writers of America. rwanational.org

It will cost you $75 a year, and after that you can buy membership in local, regional,..."

Rowena,
Thanks for the advice! Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. In fact, I will print out your response and try to follow everything that applies to my genre immediately. Again, thank you!
Chariss

message 6: by Tom (new)

Tom | 1 comments To all those wishing to be published, I would strongly urge you to attend Book Expo 2009. Last year I and some of my colleagues went to Book Expo 2008. There you have a large number of publishers, distributors, et cetera, under one roof. I encourage folks to sign up early, make appointments with publishers, also pay the money to have your book on display in both the U.S. and Canada. You will have an opportunity to see the entire process including legal ramifications, percentages, distribution, et cetera. You are there with the decision-makers. Exhibiting at this expo is a powerful tool for finding a publisher, book sales, distribution, printing, et cetera. Hope this helps.

message 7: by Trina (new)

Trina Sonnenberg (tlcpro) | 19 comments Thanx a bunch. That helps a lot.
Trii

message 8: by David (new)

David Korinetz | 77 comments Pick up a copy of the Novel Writers's Market by Writer's Digest. Your local library may have also have one.

message 9: by Nina (new)

Nina | 89 comments Lots of good advice, and I echo all of it. Also, attend local writing conferences; many times some publishers and editors have a presence and for a nominal additional fee you can have a meeting.

For non-fiction, you may want to look into university presses, depending on the subject matter.