FrostFans - The Official Jeaniene Frost Fansite discussion

Book Discussions > At Grave's End *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ranata (last edited Jan 17, 2009 08:22PM) (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Just thought we should have a separate section for each book so we can discuss it and newbies can join in the fun as well without being spoiled!

Have at it with the spoilers!

message 2: by Ranata (last edited Jan 18, 2009 09:22PM) (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) How about that chapter 17 sex scene?! I was starting to think there would be none. I thought that was one of the best. I'm like, I need to get into a fight like that whenever I get a BF again. LoL.

I do think Bones sort of overreacted to Cat and Tate. All the real sex he had in the past....She was just doing what she had to. She tried to stall it after all.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Rose (amandarose) | 73 comments oh god in the truck!!! ahhh how hot was that!!!! he lifted her up against the wall. OH how i love Bones!

message 4: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Amanda wrote: "oh god in the truck!!! ahhh how hot was that!!!! he lifted her up against the wall. OH how i love Bones!"

Yes. Bones is pretty freakin' kinky. I can see why she loves him so. LOL

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Rose (amandarose) | 73 comments Ranata who doesn't LOVEE Bones. Although i have to admit i started to get attached to umm omg i blanked on his name! haha what is the guys name that just turned into a vamp. The one that's also in love with her? oh Tate nevermind lol haha

message 6: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) I was disappointed at the lack of hot encounters in this entry in the series. Especially after the off-the-scale hotness in the previous book (still blushing!).

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Rose (amandarose) | 73 comments Yeah i was a lil upset about that too. I think it's more about love in this book than that lust they had before. Like she was fighting not to fall in love but now she embraces it and i think that shows in the book.

message 8: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Amanda wrote: "Yeah i was a lil upset about that too. I think it's more about love in this book than that lust they had before. Like she was fighting not to fall in love but now she embraces it and i think that s..."

I totally agree. In the first 2, she was trying to fight what she was feeling and finally she gave in only to leave him and be without him for most of Book 2. Book 2 was them getting "acquainted" with each other again and this book is about them already being a solid couple and moving into married life. They are a GREAT couple.

Despite the late of hot sex in this one, I did enjoy the one major sex scene in chapter 17 cuz he was so furious and it was so unexpected.

And Tate is hot and all but he's pissing me off. LOL

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Rose (amandarose) | 73 comments yeah but i kinda like him too! I mean don't get me wrong no one will ever replace Bones but Tate is soo good to Cat. Awwww i want one of those lol

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) My main complaint about this book was just that it moved too fast. I thought Tate becoming a vampire and pretty much everything having to do with Tate, and his relationship with Cat and also with Bones, was really interesting, but it really felt like it came out of nowhere. Just- bam, Tate's a vamp and now he's being really forward. I wish she'd taken the time to let that grow a little more organically, and to really explore the possibilities of that dynamic.
Wouldn't it have been really interesting to learn more about Tate's transition? What it meant for him?

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Rose (amandarose) | 73 comments yeah i agree... Didn't Juan like disappear for a while and had to live underground?

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 7 comments *major spoiler*

I was completely unfazed when Bones was "killed" in the middle of the book. I just knew there was no way he was really dead. The series would be toast without him. While Cat was freaking out I just kept thinking, calm down already! He'll be back!

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Rose (amandarose) | 73 comments yeah see i thought that too but then again i didn't know if he was going to "come back" as something different and yeah i have to admit when he saw Bones' body start to shrivel i got really upset. I love when she stood up to all the vamps and killed 'em. That was awesome!

message 14: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Jennifer wrote: "*major spoiler*

I was completely unfazed when Bones was "killed" in the middle of the book. I just knew there was no way he was really dead. The series would be toast without him. While Cat wa..."

I was completely unfazed as well. Of course he wasn't really dead. Cat doesn't realize that without Bones there, the story would just..kinda blah. I love the series but he makes the books just like Edward made Twilight to me.

Super spoiler so if you haven't read past Chapter 18, don't read!
I thought it was kinda unbelieveable when she was given his line and then she murdered like 8 vampires with a sword. Again,she's only half vamp but she can take out all these vampires that are older than Jesus? Really? LOL

message 15: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Amanda wrote: "yeah see i thought that too but then again i didn't know if he was going to "come back" as something different and yeah i have to admit when he saw Bones' body start to shrivel i got really upset. ..."

It was totally unbelieveable to me. LOL. I had to put the book down for a minute.

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Rose (amandarose) | 73 comments haha hey i know what you're saying but it could be like Anita Blake that she has several real loves and he could've just been the first. Who knows.

message 17: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Amanda wrote: "haha hey i know what you're saying but it could be like Anita Blake that she has several real loves and he could've just been the first. Who knows. "

Please don't compare Cat to Anita Blake. It's almost an insult to Cat. LOL

message 18: by Delilah (new)

Delilah Stephans | 17 comments OK I didn't find Cat killing 8 vamps unbelievable. One Bones told Don - you've seen a master vampire fight - she just has a pulse. So Cat is extremely powerful.

Two she was also numb to most sensations except anger - a woman angry can do a lot more damage than one not angry.

Third she probably saw their refusal to accept her as an insult to Bones' memory - another cause of anger.

Fourth I don't think she really cared if she lived or died - that gives amazing strength in a fight. Your opponent might want to kill you but he still wants to be alive at the end.

message 19: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Don't be so nice, Ranata. That *IS* an insult to Cat. :)

**SPOILER**

Jennifer, I also was not moved by his "death". I was comfortable with the belief that he would be back - some how, some way.

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Rose (amandarose) | 73 comments Ouch! I love Anita Blake... I like night huntress better but Anita is my second fav. Actually in the middle of reading those books now.

message 21: by Theresa (last edited Jan 27, 2009 06:59AM) (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Amanda, I used to love AB - all the earlier books. I haven't read anything beyond The Harlequin because I just got fed up. I know there are lots of people on GR that love AB - I just don't (along with Ranata, I'm fairly sure). :)

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Rose (amandarose) | 73 comments haha yeah i guess there is a bit more sex in the later books lol. I guess it all depends what you want out of your vampire romance books. Me personaly I love what LKH did with Anita. I would love to see more sex in the Night Huntress books. I guess everyone likes what they like ya know. But as far as writing I love both series.

message 23: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Stephanie wrote: "OK I didn't find Cat killing 8 vamps unbelievable. One Bones told Don - you've seen a master vampire fight - she just has a pulse. So Cat is extremely powerful.

Two she was also numb to most sen..."

If you put it like that, I do agree. I can't believe she's a Master vampire being only half but I guess it's possible. Look who helped her master her training.

This book was just lacking to me. I'm not sure what it was but it didn't have the oomph that the other 2 did. It kinda got stale with the whole Patra deal and all the other crazy shit that happened to Cat.

message 24: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Theresa wrote: "Amanda, I used to love AB - all the earlier books. I haven't read anything beyond [b:The Harlequin|30225|The Harlequin (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter 15)|Laurell K. Hamilton|http://photo.goodreads.com..."

Definitely know I'm not a fan. I'm still debating about reading the 5th book collecting dust on my shelf.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I agree that this book was a little lacking, Ranata. I came to the conclusion that it just all went too fast; like it would have been better if she'd split the story into two books.
I thought the torture scene came way too early - that was a big time torture scene, and it was at the very beginning. It felt more like an end-of-the-book climax type of thing.
She should have taken more time to develop Patra as a villain, and done more with Max I think. She just didn't take the time to let it build.
Also, it really bothered me that she killed off certain characters at the end, as though it was supposed to mean something to us, when they were just characters she'd mentioned 2 or 3 times. If you want your sad ending to pack a punch, you have to let us get to know and care about the characters you're going to kill. It was very unsatisfying, I thought.

message 26: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Nichole wrote: "I agree that this book was a little lacking, Ranata. I came to the conclusion that it just all went too fast; like it would have been better if she'd split the story into two books.
I thought the ..."

I agree with everything you just said. I think the torture scene happened way too fast and the villian just came out of nowhere. And all the people that died at the end, I was like I'm suppose to care because?

I also felt like the whole Mencheres and Patra situation was stupid. He couldn't kill her but she didn't have no problems trying with him. I really wanted the snitch that tried to kill Bones to be a big named character like maybe it was Justina or Mencheres himself.

I don't know what it was but this book was so lacking to me. Still can't wait for book 4 but my anticipation isn't has huge as it was for this one. Ah well. Can't win em all!

What should I read next though? I'm not sure how I feel about this book I'm reading now (Touch of Madness.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Ranata wrote: "I really wanted the snitch that tried to kill Bones to be a big named character like maybe it was Justina or Mencheres himself.
"

Totally! It was like with the characters that died at the end. It doesn't mean anything unless it's a character that we've come to know. These secondary characters that have not been fleshed out at all don't have any impact.
But I'm also waiting for book 4. If nothing else, I will always Cat and Bones and will read it just for them. :)

Ranata, have you read Jenna Black's Morgan Kingsley series? The first one is The Devil Inside. They're really fun. I think if you like Jeaniene Frost, you'll like those.

message 28: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Nichole wrote: "Ranata wrote: "I really wanted the snitch that tried to kill Bones to be a big named character like maybe it was Justina or Mencheres himself.
"

Totally! It was like with the characters that d..."

I have it on my TBR list and I that's funny because I just read your review on that book! I'll be picking it up, I just need to get around to it!

And I was really expecting it to be a big name character. She could have done so much. What if it was Justina? How would have Cat handled it??

The secondary characters were all blah to me. Like really, we're suppose to care?? LOL

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Yeah, I was expecting something a little more juicy. I mean, it was good that it didn't end up being Tate because that was too obvious, but the person it was just didn't even matter. (I don't even remember his name...)
It was kind of interesting that he ended up being the object that made the zombies, though. I wasn't expecting that so it was a nice twist, but it would have been better if it had been someone that mattered more.

message 30: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Nichole wrote: "Yeah, I was expecting something a little more juicy. I mean, it was good that it didn't end up being Tate because that was too obvious, but the person it was just didn't even matter. (I don't even ..."

The culprit was so insignificant to the story! And then Cat gets mad cuz she couldn't kill him? It was in two parts of the book that Cat got mad and walked out on Bones because of something lame.

This totally got a 3 stars but I love Jeaniene Frost and theh story so..I wouldn't count it out. I didn't like From Dead to Worse but I'll still be in line for Book 9. Hey that rhymed!! LOL

message 31: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (last edited Feb 03, 2009 05:11PM) (new)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) I liked that the plot moved so quickly I often hate reading books whose plot is overly drawn out but yeah I agree the book was lacking it just seemed like it was a setup book for bigger things to come. It still was an excellent book. I still hate Justina, so what she's gettin it on with the Ghoul she's still a bitch JMO. Tate is annoying really didn't like him to begin with he needs to just get over Cat and go sex-up Annette again

PS. It's not an insult to compare Cat to AB since they are strong fighters, so what AB is sexing everyone blah blah get over it :P

message 32: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Jael wrote: "I liked that the plot moved so quickly I often hate reading books whose plot is overly drawn out but yeah I agree the book was lacking it just seemed like it was a setup book for bigger things to c..."

Justina is totally still a bitch, I agree. LOL. No matter if she's getting did up by a Ghoul named Rodney. LOL.

And I won't even go there about Anita "Dick Fiend" Blake.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) dick fiend lol Ranata u r too much lol

message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Rose (amandarose) | 73 comments Wow Ranata Do you not like Anita Blake lol. You really hate those books which is fine but Jeez little rough about it no?

message 35: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Amanda wrote: "Wow Ranata Do you not like Anita Blake lol. You really hate those books which is fine but Jeez little rough about it no? "

No, I'm just really blunt about it. Can't hurt a fictional characters feelings and if Hamilton reads this, she should know that not everybody is enthralled by her direction.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Ranata have you even read up to the point where character change or are you going by what other people have been saying about the series. I remember you being on like book 5 or something. So I can't really see how you can be so opionated on Anita character change. Now not liking Anita because she is a cold hearted bitch I can see that since she was that from the beginning. I just have to write that. You know you and I have debated this over and over. Glad to see you back on.

message 37: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Jael wrote: "Ranata have you even read up to the point where character change or are you going by what other people have been saying about the series. I remember you being on like book 5 or something. So I can..."

I haven't read up to the character change becuase I don't want to have to stop once I get there. I actually have read thru books farther down the line and they are not something I could see myself enjoying. I was already bored enough with the 4th book that when I got to book 5, I just gave up. I didn't like Anita anymore, I didn't like the men she was dating (other than Jean-Claude) and I hated how repetive they had become (the books, the story, the wording).

Just because I have not read far enough for you to determine whether or not my opinion should be valid, I'm giving it. I don't like that she had to turn the books into smut and since I know it goes that route, I might as well stop before I burn all the books I already have or throw them in the lake across the street from my house.

Somebody compared her to Cat and I said Anita Blake is no Cat so don't compare her. Fucking every penis in the room is not growth to me but if you like it, I love it. I just don't feel like my opinion should be invalidated because I haven't forced myself to read that far. There are better books out there that don't need to go that route so I'm done with them completely.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Well fucking every penis in the room isn't what Anita does but like I said if u don't like the series because of the few books u have well that's fine but not reading the change and than calling it smut because you read others complaints IMO makes ur opinion invalid whether u continue to state them or not.Your right life is too short to read something u don't like. It's also too short to continously give an opinion on something that you yourself haven't read.Moving On

message 39: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Jael wrote: "Well fucking every penis in the room isn't what Anita does but like I said if u don't like the series because of the few books u have well that's fine but not reading the change and than calling it..."

That's okay that you feel that way but I really don't care just like I'm sure you don't care about what I have to say about the books since my opinion is invalid since I haven't read far enough to (in your words) be able to form an opinion but do move along. You called me out, you got your cookie for the day so yeah. =)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Lol it wasn't a call out.I just know how Anita get's u riled up. I wasn't attacking just missed your heated debates is all. :)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) BTW that cookie was delicious.

message 42: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Jael wrote: "Lol it wasn't a call out.I just know how Anita get's u riled up. I wasn't attacking just missed your heated debates is all. :)"

Glad I was missed =D I was around. I just lose interest in things for a minute and then will return at a later date. And I don't even mean to come off as riled up even though I know that's how it looks. I'd love to continue the series but even without me knowing about the adeur, I doubt I would have because of Anita Blake herself. I think LKH throwing in Richard really turned me off since I don't like him or her OR Edward. LOL. If I hate everybody, why continue, ya know? I got really irritated after the 4th book and then got the 5th, read about her dating Richard AND Jean Claude and it was over. I couldn't read anymore. Sad but oh well. There's other books that will fuel my fire, right?

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) That is so true and of course u were missed your opinions are strong and unwavering. I hope u come on more especially since Sookie and Cat are about to come out. Now those are books to rant about.

message 44: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Jael wrote: "That is so true and of course u were missed your opinions are strong and unwavering. I hope u come on more especially since Sookie and Cat are about to come out. Now those are books to rant about."

We have a big summer ahead of us! LOL True Blood, Sookie AND Cat. I'll be back more for sure then!

message 45: by Kala (last edited May 25, 2009 10:46PM) (new)

Kala Martin (princessoftarts) | 1 comments So I am new to this series and I liked the book to a point, but it felt somewhat rushed. (I'm guessing it's normal for it to seem that way when you start in the middle of the series rather than the begining.) I have to say Cat really reminded me of Rachel Morgan :) Anyway, I liked the book and intend to read the next, but my question is this: do her later books slow down the pace a little, or have a more dramatic climax??

P.S. Truck scene...better than Laurel K's scenes anyday :P

message 46: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Kala wrote: "So I am new to this series and I liked the book to a point, but it felt somewhat rushed. (I'm guessing it's normal for it to seem that way when you start in the middle of the series rather than the..."

Well, this one is the 3rd book in the series. You need to start with the first book called Halfway to the Grave. I liked the first book so much because all the action started immediately. I don't think they slow down at all and personally, I love it that way.

And I totally agree about the truck scene. It was sexy yet simple.