Animal Rights Group discussion

Helping Animals > Animal Cruelty

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayla (new)

Kayla ************************No Battery Eggs***************************

While many of us picture an idyllic Old MacDonald's farm when we think about where our eggs come from, nothing could be further from the truth. Most eggs produced in the United States come from industrialized factory farms confining hundreds of thousands—if not millions—of laying hens in overcrowded battery cages.

Arguably the most abused animals in all agribusiness, nearly 280 million laying hens in the United States are confined in barren, wire battery cages so restrictive the birds can't even spread their wings. With no opportunity to engage in many of their natural behaviors, including nesting, dust bathing, perching, and foraging, these birds endure lives wrought with suffering.

Because of animal welfare concerns, countries such as Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, and Austria have banned battery cages. The entire European Union is phasing out conventional cages by 2012.

message 2: by Kayla (new)

Kayla ***********Force Fed Abuse************

Paté de foie gras, translated from French, is simply "fatty liver." This so-called gourmet delicacy is the product of extreme animal cruelty.

Ducks and geese are forced-fed unnaturally large quantities of food through a metal tube that is shoved down their throats and into their stomachs two or three times each day. The extensive overfeeding causes their livers to become diseased. The livers become enlarged up to ten times their normal size, making it difficult for the birds to move comfortably and, for some, even walk.

The practice of force-feeding can cause painful bruising, lacerations, sores, and even organ rupture. On some foie gras factory farms, the birds are severely restricted inside small, filthy cages where they cannot even turn around or spread their wings.

Due to animal welfare concerns, more than a dozen countries—including the United Kingdom, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Israel (formerly the world's fourth-largest foie gras producing nation), Norway, Poland, Sweden, and Switzerland—have prohibited the production of foie gras. In 2004, California became the first U.S. state to ban the cruel force-feeding of birds and the sale of foie gras produced from force-fed birds, effective 2012.

message 3: by Kayla (new)

Kayla We raise ducks and geese at are house. The baby geese are so smart they follow you around and soon as they hatch out. (Of course it's hard work for them to hatch out so they usually rest the first few days until the get strong enough to follow you.)
I just love the little geese all colors and ages. :-)

Also we have are own chickens there for we have are own eggs to you can really tast the difference between store eggs and our eggs.

message 4: by Kayla (new)

Kayla ***********Small Crates**********

Nationwide, nearly one million calves raised for veal and nearly six million breeding sows (female pigs) suffer nearly their entire lives inside tiny crates so small the animals can't even turn around.

Veal factory farmers separate calves from their mothers within the first few days of birth and cram them into individual crates or stalls, tethered by their necks. Inside these enclosures, the calves can barely move. The veal industry is a direct byproduct of the dairy industry and depends on it for survival.

Breeding sows suffer a similar fate. Throughout nearly their entire four-month pregnancies, the animals are confined inside individual metal gestation crates barely bigger than their own bodies, unable to perform many of their natural behaviors.

Due to animal welfare concerns, the entire European Union has already banned both veal crates and gestation crates, effective 2007 and 2013, respectively. Yet, in the United States, the use of these abusive crates remains customary practice.

message 5: by Kayla (last edited Jan 17, 2009 05:43PM) (new)

Kayla For more news on animals click here.
Also there are some really interesting facts on animals in here great for school writing assignments. :-)

message 6: by Kayla (new)

Kayla The following information was gathered at this web site. Click here to go to it.

message 7: by Kayla (new)

Kayla ********Dairy Cow Abuse********

The 9 million cows living on dairy farms in the United States spend most of their lives in large sheds or on feces-caked mud lots, where disease is rampant.3 Cows raised for their milk are repeatedly impregnated. Their babies are taken away so that humans can drink the milk intended for the calves. When their exhausted bodies can no longer provide enough milk, they are sent to slaughter and ground up for hamburgers.

Cows produce milk for the same reason that humans do: to nourish their babies. In order to force the animals to continue giving milk, factory farmers impregnate them using artificial insemination every year. Calves are generally taken from their mothers within a day of being born—males are destined for veal crates, and females are sentenced to the same fate as their mothers.

Mother cows on dairy farms can often be seen searching and calling for their calves long after they have been separated. Author Oliver Sacks, M.D., wrote of a visit that he and cattle expert Dr. Temple Grandin made to a dairy farm and of the great tumult of bellowing that they heard when they arrived: “‘They must have separated the calves from the cows this morning,’ Temple said, and, indeed, this was what had happened. We saw one cow outside the stockade, roaming, looking for her calf, and bellowing. ‘That’s not a happy cow,’ Temple said. ‘That’s one sad, unhappy, upset cow. She wants her baby. Bellowing for it, hunting for it. She’ll forget for a while, then start again. It’s like grieving, mourning—not much written about it. People don’t like to allow them thoughts or feelings.’”4
Cows are hooked up to milk machines that often tear their udders.

After their calves are taken from them, mother cows are hooked up, several times a day, to machines that take the milk intended for their babies. Using genetic manipulation, powerful hormones, and intensive milking, factory farmers force cows to produce about 10 times as much milk as they naturally would.5 Animals are pumped full of bovine growth hormone (BGH), which contributes to painful inflammation of the udder known as “mastitis.” (BGH is used throughout the U.S., but has been banned in Europe and Canada because of concerns over human health and animal welfare.)6 According to the industry’s own figures, between 30 and 50 percent of dairy cows suffer from mastitis, an extremely painful condition.7

A cow’s natural lifespan is 25 years, but cows used by the dairy industry are killed after only four or five years.8 An industry study reports that by the time they are killed, nearly 40 percent of dairy cows are lame because of the filth, intensive confinement, and the strain of constantly being pregnant and giving milk.9 Dairy cows are turned into soup, companion animal food, or low-grade hamburger meat because their bodies are too “spent” to be used for anything else.

message 8: by Kayla (new)

Kayla *******Pigs That Can Not Turn Around******

Many people think of Charlotte’s Web and Babe when they imagine how pigs are raised for meat. Unfortunately, these Hollywood tales do not depict reality. Almost all of the 100 million pigs killed for food in the United States every year endure horrific conditions in controlled animal feeding operations (CAFOs), the meat industry’s euphemism for factory farms.5 Smarter than dogs, these social, sensitive animals spend their lives in overcrowded, filthy warehouses, often seeing direct sunlight for the first time as they are crammed onto a truck bound for the slaughterhouse.6

A mother pig, or sow, spends her adult life confined to a tiny metal crate. She will never feel the warmth of a nest or the affectionate nuzzle of her mate—she will spend her life surrounded by thick, cold metal bars, living on wet, feces-caked concrete floors. When she is old enough to give birth, she will be artificially impregnated and then imprisoned again for the entire length of her pregnancy in a “gestation crate,” a cage only 2 feet wide—too small for her even to turn around or lie down in comfortably.7

After giving birth, a mother pig is moved to a “farrowing crate,” a contraption even worse and smaller than a gestation crate, with only a tiny additional concrete area on which the piglets can nurse.8 Workers will sometimes tie the mother’s legs apart so she cannot get a break from the suckling piglets. She may develop open “bed sores” on her body from the lack of movement. This practice is so barbaric that gestation crates have been banned in Florida, the U.K., and Sweden and will be banned in the European Union in 2013.9,10
Pigs develop sores from living in filthy conditions that are too cramped to even stand up in.

When pregnant sows are ready to give birth, they are moved from a gestation crate to a farrowing crate. One worker describes the process: “They beat the shit out of them [the mother pigs:] to get them inside the crates because they don’t want to go. This is their only chance to walk around, get a little exercise, and they don’t want to go [back into a crate:].

Would you want to be shoved in a crate?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

i know, I just can't stop eating eggs or dairy!!!
I wouldn't get protein otherwise. I hate soy milk and beans.

message 10: by xXRossiya AruXx (new)

xXRossiya AruXx (Biggestanimegeek) i know...i LOVE bacon and eggs, but eggs are killing unborn chicks!:(

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, because the eggs are't fertilized, it's actually not.

message 12: by Kayla (new)

Kayla I love soy milk mmmmm..., and I do not eat anything that comes from a pig. They are just so intelligent creatures, and also very misunderstood animals to.
I eat are eggs though, we keep are roster in a different pen, away from the hens. We only put him in with the hens when we want to hatch out baby chickens. (We have some now.) The mane reason we keep the roster and the hens separated is because he pecks the hen feathers of so they are naked. (But do not worry they are growing their feathers back now.) :-)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

My step mom wants to keep chickens... I only eat fish, dairy, and eggs (and honey!)

message 14: by xXRossiya AruXx (new)

xXRossiya AruXx (Biggestanimegeek) ♥Starbucks♥ wrote: "Well, because the eggs are't fertilized, it's actually not."

well,when they fertilize them they kill the chicks.
DON'T YOU HATE HOW PEOPLE MAKE CAGES THAT DOGS CAN'T FULLY TURN AROUND IN???????????????

VaLeRiE!!!!!!!!! (♥'s u!) (VaLeRiErOxYoUrSoX) | 8 comments
well,when they fertilize them they kill the chicks.
DON'T YOU HATE HOW PEOPLE MAKE CAGES THAT DOGS CAN'T FULLY TURN..."
I KNOW!!! I HAVE A CAGE FOR MY DOG BUT I ALWAYS LEAVE UNLOCKED AFTER MY PARENTS GO 2 BED SO HE CAN WALK AROUND!!!

message 16: by Kayla (new)

Kayla The eggs are only fertilized if there is a roster in the pen with the hens. other wise it is just an egg.

VaLeRiE!!!!!!!!! (♥'s u!) (VaLeRiErOxYoUrSoX) | 8 comments why would people eat eggs, then? it's like eating a baby chicken!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

all of that is cruel. I'm not a vegan, only because I like cheese. But I'm trying to quite, it's cruel what they do to dairy cows. And I NEVER eat eggs!

VaLeRiE!!!!!!!!! (♥'s u!) (VaLeRiErOxYoUrSoX) | 8 comments what do they do to dairy cows?

message 20: by Katie (new)

Katie  | 418 comments Mod
I am not a veggie nor a vegan (because i believe that it is alright to eat animals) BUT...I am SO disgusted for what they do to these animals. They should punishment...SOMETHING!

VaLeRiE!!!!!!!!! (♥'s u!) (VaLeRiErOxYoUrSoX) | 8 comments what? what do they do? i'm w/ u, katie. i ♥ steak but being cruel 2 animals kills me.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

by killing animals for meat (even if you aren't the one doing it, you are still supporting it by eating meat) you are being cruel to animals. So no matter how much you "care about animals" and "hate the tests that some companies do" and "don't want to hurt them," eating them is doing all those things.

VaLeRiE!!!!!!!!! (♥'s u!) (VaLeRiErOxYoUrSoX) | 8 comments well, that's your belief. i'm still sticking w/ mine.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

just visit http://www.goveg.com/ and it will show you what horrible things they do.

VaLeRiE!!!!!!!!! (♥'s u!) (VaLeRiErOxYoUrSoX) | 8 comments that's so sad

message 26: by Emily ♥ monkeys (last edited Jan 27, 2009 07:42PM) (new)

Emily ♥ monkeys | 19 comments ahhh...it is :[

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah...:(

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

puppy mills are horrible too.

Emily ♥ monkeys | 19 comments puppy mills??? que ?_?

message 30: by Kayla (last edited Feb 07, 2009 07:03PM) (new)

Kayla First Part......
Puppy Mills: Dogs Abused for the Pet Trade

It can be hard to resist the cute puppies and kittens for sale in pet store windows. But a closer look into how these stores obtain animals reveals a system in which the high price that consumers pay for “that doggie in the window” pales in comparison to the cost paid by animals who are sold in pet stores or forced to produce them.

That adorable little scamp in the store probably came from a “puppy mill,” a breeding kennel that raises dogs in cramped, crude, filthy conditions. The majority of these facilities are in the Midwest, but kennels can be found throughout the country, and some dealers even import puppies from other countries.(1) Constant confinement and a lack of adequate veterinary care and socialization often result in animals who are unhealthy and difficult to socialize. As a result, many are abandoned within weeks or months of their adoption by frustrated buyers—further exacerbating the tragic companion animal overpopulation crisis.

Cages, Filth, and Neglect
Puppy mill kennels can consist of anything from small cages made of wood and wire mesh to tractor-trailer cabs or simple tethers attached to trees. One Arkansas facility had “cages hanging from the ceiling of an unheated cinder-block building ….”(2) Female dogs are bred twice a year and are usually destroyed when they are no longer able to produce puppies.(3) Mothers and their litters often suffer from malnutrition, exposure, and a lack of adequate veterinary care.

Puppies are taken from their mothers and sold to brokers who pack them into crates for transport and resale to pet stores. Puppies who are shipped from mill to broker to pet store can travel hundreds of miles in pickup trucks, tractor trailers, and/or airplanes, often without adequate food, water, ventilation, or shelter. Two men faced charges after 38 puppies were found to be confined to a feces-filled van without food, water, or space to exercise. The men were transporting the animals from Oklahoma to Florida when a passerby noticed the dogs’ distressed barking and the foul stench emanating from the van, which was parked at a Daytona Beach motel.(4) In Tennessee, 150 overheated puppies, who were traveling from a Missouri puppy mill to pet stores on the East Coast, were found in a cargo truck without air conditioning; four died.(5) Even if a store claims that it doesn’t buy from puppy mills, there is a good chance that it buys from a broker who does.(6)

Young puppies who survive the unsanitary conditions at puppy mills and endure the grueling transport to pet stores have rarely received the kind of loving human contact that is necessary for them to become suitable companions. Breeders, brokers, and pet stores ensure maximum profits by not spending money for proper food, housing, or veterinary care.

Conditions don’t improve much when the puppies reach pet stores. Dogs who are kept in small cages without exercise, love, or human contact tend to develop undesirable behaviors and may bark excessively or become destructive and unsociable. Unlike many humane societies and shelters, pet stores do not screen buyers or inspect the future homes of the dogs they sell. Poor enforcement of humane laws allows shops to continue selling sick animals, although humane societies and police departments sometimes succeed in closing down stores where severe abuse is uncovered.

Farms and Brokers Do Big Business
When PETA conducted an undercover investigation at Nielsen Farms, a puppy mill in Kansas, PETA’s investigator found that the dogs had no bedding or protection from the cold or heat. Some dogs were suffering from untreated wounds, ear infections, and abscessed feet. Confinement and loneliness had caused some mother dogs to go mad. PETA’s investigator witnessed one USDA inspection, during which the officer glanced at the cages but did not examine the dogs. Our investigation led to the Kansas facility’s closing and a $20,000 fine from the USDA. The Nielsens are also “permanently disqualified from being licensed” by the USDA.(7)

There are thousands of breeders and dealers across the country. In Missouri alone, there are more than 1,400 licensed dog-breeding operations, although so many illegal breeders are in business that a state audit advised that the program designed to regulate commercial breeding was ineffective.(8) The nation’s largest puppy broker is the Hunte Corporation in Missouri, which also exports dogs overseas.(9) The company has been linked to numerous negligent pet stores and breeders and has sponsored American Kennel Club (AKC) meetings.(10) The USDA has loaned the company more than $4 million for expansion and upgrades in recent years—taxpayer money being used to bring more misery to dogs and puppies.(11)

The Plight of Purebreds
Some people impulsively obtain purebred dogs, even though they may not be educated about the breed or ready for the commitment that animal companions require. Movies such as 101 Dalmatians and Beethoven, TV shows like Frasier, and commercials such as those for Taco Bell have caused a jump in the popularity of certain breeds, yet very few potential dog caretakers take the time to investigate the traits and needs of the breed that they are considering. “Every time Hollywood makes a dog movie, the breed goes to hell,” says one caretaker of Bouvier des Flandres dogs. A Dalmatian fancier concludes that “… the unscrupulous breeders will see there’s a profit margin there.”(12) When there is a surge in demand for a particular breed, puppy mills try to meet that demand, but when Jack Russell terriers don’t turn out to be just like Frasier’s “Eddie” or St. Bernards don’t act just like “Beethoven,” rescue groups and animal shelters become flooded with these breeds.

The AKC, which opposes mandatory spay/neuter programs for purebred dogs, receives millions of dollars from breeders who pay AKC registration fees.(13) The AKC registered more than 421,000 dogs in 2005, some of whom will join the millions of animals who end up in animal shelters every year.(14) Buyers may be swayed by talk of “papers” and “AKC registration,” but these papers cannot ensure good temperament or good health. Says one veterinarian, “The best use of pedigree papers is for housebreaking your dog. They don’t mean a damn thing.”(15) The AKC has minimum care standards for “high-volume breeding” facilities, but with 14 inspectors and an operating budget that is directed toward registration and dog shows, the AKC can only manage to inspect its registered kennels once every two years.(16) By its own admission, some of the more problematic kennels have simply sought registration services (such as Dog Registry of America, Sporting Dog Registry, American Hunting Dog Registry, and All American Dog Registry, to name a few) that don’t perform inspections.(17)

At puppy mills, dogs are bred for quantity, not quality, so unmonitored genetic defects and personality disorders that are passed on from generation to generation are common. This situation results in high veterinary bills for people who buy these dogs and the possibility that unsociable or maladjusted dogs will be disposed of by their unprepared “owners.” “There is virtually no consideration of temperament,” says one dog trainer. “I wish legislators could sit in my office and watch ... people sobbing in extreme emotional pain over having to decide whether to euthanize their dog because of some serious behavioral problem.”(18)

message 31: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Second Part....
Inadequate Inspections
The USDA is supposed to monitor and inspect kennels to ensure that they are not violating the housing standards of the Animal Welfare Act, but kennel inspections are a low priority. In the U.S., there are more than 1,000 research facilities, more than 2,800 exhibitors, and 4,500 dealers that are supposed to be inspected each year.(19)

There are three APHIS sector offices with a total of approximately 70 veterinary inspectors who are supposed to inspect, unannounced, the various types of facilities covered by the AWA.(20)

This means that 70 inspectors have to cover more than 8,300 facilities nationwide.

Puppy mills are rarely monitored by state governments, and existing regulations vary from state to state. In Missouri, for instance, each of the 2,100 facilities is supposed to be inspected once a year, but there are only 12 inspectors employed to handle the task.(21) Even with an estimated 1,300 puppy mills in Wisconsin, inspections of breeder facilities that sell at least 50 dogs and cats are voluntary, and there is no funding for enforcement of these regulations.(22,23)

The Puppy Pipelines
Dealers who want to avoid relevant U.S. laws—the few that exist—look elsewhere to continue doing business. Says one Canadian lawyer, “[P:]uppy mill operators in the States buy from us. And crossing the border isn’t a problem either. They cross them all the time.”(24) For example, there is a network of breeders and smugglers who bring puppies into the U.S. from Mexico. A Los Angeles woman was arrested during a sting operation on suspicion of selling underaged puppies and for failure to provide proper veterinary care for the animals; one of the officers involved in the capture of the woman said that the smuggler fit the description of a puppy smuggler: The person uses an alias and a throwaway cell phone and sells puppies from the backs of cars or on street corners.(25) A New Hampshire breeder, who was arrested for cruelty to animals when dozens of dogs and cats were found living in filth, was selling puppies from Russia for as much as $1,900 each on the Internet.(26)

While no federal agency tracks the number of puppies that enter the U.S., an investigation by a New York TV station concluded that thousands of puppies arrive every year and that many are sick or dead when they get here. A staff member at a private veterinary clinic at John F. Kennedy Airport told the CBS affiliate that she had seen “a couple of cases where they (puppies) were shrink-wrapped.” The station also found that although the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other federal agencies have been alerted to the problem of underaged, sick puppies who are crammed and shipped into filthy, crowded kennels for hours at a time, none has jurisdiction over the animals’ care. The CDC only checks animals for rabies, and the USDA regulations for dogs’ age and transport conditions do not apply to foreign shipments.(27)

Some states have enacted “puppy lemon” laws that give caretakers the right to return sick or dead puppies for replacement or that offer the option of having veterinary expenses paid by the seller. Unfortunately, depending on the state, the law may not clearly say to whom it applies, or it may affect only pet stores or breeders that sell a certain number of animals each year. Check with your state’s attorney’s office to find out about your state’s laws.

What You Can Do
With millions of unwanted dogs and cats (including purebreds) dying every year in animal shelters, there is simply no reason for animals to be bred and sold for the pet-shop trade. Without these stores, the financial incentive for puppy mills would disappear, and the suffering of these dogs would end. The best way to find an animal companion is through an animal shelter or rescue group.

Emily ♥ monkeys | 19 comments ahhhhh!!!!!! how can ppls be like this ??

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Guys, please make sure you're not getting into a vegetarian argument on here. We all have our own beliefs, and if you want to discuss this join the protesters group, but please don't here. Thank yuus >.<

Emily ♥ monkeys | 19 comments haha oops r u talking about me ....:p (i think u r lol) sorry bout that...i tend to do that alot erhm theres a protesters group? can u give me the link (haha im to lazy ..so yah lol thanks !! :)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not being mean >.<

Emily ♥ monkeys | 19 comments haha its ok i know ^__^

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah >.<

Emily ♥ monkeys | 19 comments lol

message 39: by Heather (new)

Heather Hofmaster (livingdeadgirl) | 95 comments I hate factory farms!

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

me too O.o

Emily ♥ monkeys | 19 comments whats the difference between factory farms and farms

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

i dont know what the differance is but i know that they are both bad

Emily ♥ monkeys | 19 comments haha okay :D...... thanks -_-

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

What’s the Difference?
June 1, 2006 : 12:00 AM
Factory Farming vs Sustainable Farming

There is no specific definition of what a factory farm is, but they tend to have certain characteristics in common. Animals most often raised in these conditions are dairy cows, cattle, pigs, chickens and turkeys.

The main characteristic of a factory farm is that animals are crowded together in confined spaces where they can’t carry out their natural behaviors like grazing, rooting and pecking.

Animals are raised in facilities that cannot properly process all the waste, so manure is most often held in large lagoons that can hold millions of gallons of waste. This waste is often over-applied to the land and runs off into surrounding streams and waterways, or can leak from the lagoons into the ground and groundwater. Antibiotics, chemicals and/or hormones are used to promote faster growth and to ward off diseases.

Factory farms emphasize high volume and profit with little or no regard for environmental quality, human health, safe food, humane treatment of animals, and the rural economy.

message 45: by Heather (new)

Heather Hofmaster (livingdeadgirl) | 95 comments Factory farms supply most people with their meat.

They are focused on high profit and high product turnout with little care for the well-being of the animals or workers.

They are bad for the animals, they are bad for people, and they are bad for the environment.

Regular farms usually provide food for a much smaller group of people. Animals are treated as animals rather than objects. Animals are allowed to move and to live an at least partly normal life and can usually move about somewhat freely.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

message 47: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 09, 2010 05:54PM) (new)

We raise our own chickens for eggs, and none are being treated wrong.