Who's Your Author? discussion

Paranormal Writers > Karen Marie Moning

Comments Showing 1-50 of 297 (297 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Has anyone else read anything by Karen Marie Moning? I've read all of her Highlander Series, and I just started Darkfever last night.

I enjoyed the Highlander books, my favorites were the last 4: Kiss of the Highlander, The Dark Highlander, The Immortal Highlander and Spell of the Highlander. I really liked the way that those 4 books really interconnected. I mean, the others connect, but they could also be read as a stand alone book. The only think that I really didn't like is that she basically at the end of the last book, set things up for another book. But yet, there aren't going to be any other Highlander books! I just don't quite get it. Even though Darkfever is considered the start of a new series, there are some connections to the Highlander series, so I wonder if maybe, eventually, the 2 series will completely connect. Then I might understand the ending to Spell of the Highlander!!!

So far I am liking Darkfever. Has anyone read all of the Fever Series?

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Hmm I only read one of her Highlander books( I plan to read the rest soon) and the first two in her Fever series. I must say I like the HL better b/c the Fever series just seems to a continuous story with no conclusion until the last book is written and that is really working my patience. I'm hoping that the two series connect in a way that would reveal what Barrons is. I love that guy but the mystery is killing me. LOL

message 3: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) I have read all of her books. The highlander ones were her best. The Fever series is ok, but not nearly as good. In places it actually got boring. But I keep reading them becuase I was curious to see what was going on.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I really enjoyed the Highlander Series; particularly the ones about Drustan and Dageus MacKeltar (is that 3 and 4, or 4 and 5? Can't remember. Kiss of the Highlander and the Dark Highlander.)
But it felt toward the end, particularly with Spell of the Highlander, that she was sick of writing them and wasn't really putting much effort into it. I really didn't like that last one; the only characteristic she gave her heroine was big boobs and that got mentioned a lot. I found it irritating, and the whole book just felt lackluster and "phoned in."

I started Darkfever back in May and couldn't get into it, so I gave up on that series. I also hear the tension between the main character and the guy (Jericho?) is really frustrating and I decided I just didn't need to do that to myself.:)

message 5: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments I just finished faefever and well I have issues with the end not with what happened but her 'cliff hanger' and so many issues not being resolved it felt like she said ... you know what I am out of ideas so instead of wrapping it up let me just stop here.
Plus the plot I did not really get the point of this one, what did other people think?

message 6: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments LOL! I always love when funny coincidences happen! Earlier today I was watching a show that I had tivo'd, The Unit. One of my favorites. And in this latest episode part of the story line was that they needed to recover a relic, the spear that pierced the side of Christ. Then, tonight, I was reading some more of Darkfever and low and behold, they find a relic, the spear that pierced the side of Christ. lol! Just seemed funny and I had to share!

Dawn - I haven't read Faefever yet (still in the 1st book) but that sounds a lot like what she did with the Highlander series! In the last several books of the Highlander series, the Fae Queen did some things to cause particular outcomes. Then at the end of the last book, it discussed her thoughts. She said that she had done all of this for a reason, to bring 5 particular people into the same place at the same time. That they would be needed soon to "save her". But that was where her series ended! She never wrote another Highlander series. But, the challenges that she describes that they will face sound a lot like what the world looks like in Darkfever so I am really still keeping my fingers crossed that eventually, she will cross the two series and finally bring a conclusion to the Highlander series.

Jael - as for what Baron is. I am assuming that hasn't been revealed through the first 3 books, or else you wouldn't be asking! lol! Wow, that's going to be frustrating! IT's already driving me crazy wondering. Mac keeps saying that he is a Sidhe-seer, but I thought that in Immortal Highlander they said that sidhe-seer's were all women. But it's been a while since I read that one, so I could be wrong. But what about him maybe being a Druid? Can druid's see through glamour?

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) That was what YZ thought as well. I guess if you've read the Highlander series( I've only read one) you come up with that conclusion. Druid haven't really made an appearance in the Fever series yet so I can't say. They discuss in Fever how there are only women sidhe-seers which adds to the mystery since Mac thinks Barrons is one. Your guess is about Barrons is better than mine b/c I've been thinking he's a Vamp/Were/Fae hybrid creature LOL. The mystery of Barrons keeps me reading the series.

message 8: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Jan 18, 2009 06:12AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments Kelley Anne,

I've read all the Highlander books, and I'm currently listening to FaeFever. Yes, I do remember the ending of the last Highlander book, and I really think that is going to come to play in the Fever books. I mean we have Christian McKeltar meeting Mac, mentioning his uncles as someone that was approached by her sister for some translation work.

If I remember corretly the fae queen had chosen 5 Druids who will be the major defense against evil: Drustan, Dageus, Cian...I assumed the fourth would be Christopher or his son Christian...and here where I think Barrons will come in... Do you think he is the fifth Druid?

Furthermore, there is no sign of Abviel (sp? that's the problem with audio books..LOL) and there seem to be a hint that she seems to be in trouble.

As for Barrons, I still have no clue what he is..but I'm leaning towards that theory...I guess for now, I will just have to keep reading..LOL..

message 9: by Kelley Anne (last edited Jan 18, 2009 06:52AM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Yz that sounds like a pretty good theory! I haven't read far enough yet to see Christian in it, but that makes perfect sense! I was thinking that 4 of the 5 were Drustan, Dageus, Cian and Barrons, and then I was wondering who would be the 5th. Hmm...this could get interesting! Christian, was he one or the older twins that Gwen met in Kiss of the Highlander or was he the dad?

If they are going to connect like that, why wouldn't she have some kind of note about the Fever series being sequals to the Highlander series? And I understand that misspelling, lol, I've listened to all of them on Audio book too! They are fantastic on audio book! I loved the guy that read the Highlander ones!

message 10: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I have a question.. I'm really confused lol. I read the first book in Moning's Fever seres.. but was I supposed to have read her highlander series first? I mean, the book I read made sense, but am I missing something?

I hate reading books out of order. :(

message 11: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Jan 18, 2009 07:06AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments LOL..Funny, except for Brodie's book, all of the Highlander books I listened via adiobooks too. Thoroughly enjoyed Phil Gigante's delivery. Doesn't he sound so sexy when he do the 'brogue'? I haven't met a real Highlander so I don't really know how accurate it was, but for me it sounded so..yummy..LOL

Christian is about Mac's age so I assume he is the son of Christopher who I think is the current Keltar Laird.

KMM did mention in her website that there will be a crossover between series. although she states that the Fever series are not "highlander" novels. I think you can find that in the FAQ part. She also mentions that she plans 5 books in the Fever series, and the main ARC has been plotted already, so obviously she knows where this is going.

message 12: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments Jess,

No, you do not need to read the Highlander books to get into the Fever series.

However, what Kelley Anne and I are talking about is the crossover of some characters from the other series. I don't think it will really matter, but it does provide some insight to know a little more about them.

However, the Highlander series are pure PNR..with emphasis on romance..while the Fever series is definitely UF

message 13: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments By the looks of things, yeah, you should at least read the last 4 highlander books. They talk about the Sealy and Unsealy Hallows, you learn all about the world of the Fae and the Sinsar Dubh is discussed quite a bit in the last book. Honestly, I think that I might have been a bit confused about some of the Fae things when reading Darkfever if I hadn't read the Highlander ones first.

Her Highlander series is more Paranormal Romance, versus it seems to me that the Fever series is more Urban Fantasy. All of them are connected, but the first few could be read alone. But I'd recommend reading the last 4 (the ones that I mentioned in the first post) at least, if you don't want to read all 7.

I'm guessing that if she does connect them, you'd probably still understand most of what's going on even if you hadn't read the Highlander ones, but you'd be missing a lot of the back story. If they haven't really talked about Druids in the Fever series yet (I'm still not done with the 1st one) you will learn all about them in the Highlanders. That's why I am really leaning towards Baron being a Druid, just from the stuff that I've already learned about them.

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Okay, gotcha. Thanks! :)

Even though I've only read the first in the Fever series, it didn't really bother me that there was no real ending. I just loved the way she wrote the story, it just drew me in and I was unable to put it down.

But I can definitely see getting annoyed if after 3 books I still have no answers!

message 15: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol, Yz, great minds think alike! lol, we both were writing our answers at the same time, and mentioned most of the same things.

message 16: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Jan 18, 2009 07:24AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments LOL..true...and yes...a reading of the last four Highlander books would provide good background information to KMM's Fever world.

Because I read the first two Fever books before I read the last Highlander book (Cian's story), so when I reached that last part (I have to rewind it several times to make sure I understood), that is, when it click in my head that Barrons might be a Druid...and the future world that the Fae queen was talking about is the world in the Fever series.

message 17: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I added the first Highlander to my list of books.. that list just keeps growing!! lol

message 18: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Jan 18, 2009 07:36AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments I love the Highlander books. If you like romance, with some hot, hunky man in kilt, threw in some Fae and some timetraveling shenanigans, then you will like the Highlander series

message 19: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracegirl) | 15 comments I finished reading Faefever and I'm going crazy! I want to know what happends next. I dislike cliffhangers but I'll live.
Kelly Anne mentioned a Druid. What is a Druid? I haven't read any of the Highlander books.

message 20: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Hmmm...let me try to explain what a Druid is. They are a lot of things but some of the basics are that they are humans who can do some magic. They know all about the Fae as well. Druids will do magic to help the animals, the harvest, their people and land, etc. Different druids will have different strengths and abilities. But one of the common ones that they talk about in the Highlander series is what they call Voice. Basically it's like compulsion in Vamp books. That's one of the reasons that I am wondering if Barrons is a Druid. There was a scene in the first book where that lady that works at the book store (I forgot her name and one problem with audio books is that you can't easily flip through pages to find it) was upset with him about Mac and her staying and such. Then, he said something to her and all of a sudden she wasn't mad anymore. Did he use Voice on her?

In the Highlander series, there is a family, the McKeltar's, who are considered the most powerful Druids. For generations (many, MANY generations) their family has been responsible for keeping a Compact (or contract) that was made with the Fae. They have particular things that they have to do each year to basically keep our world and the world of the Fae seperate and both safe.

I'm not sure if any of that made much sense! I would recommend that you read the Highlander series! As long as you like romances, you will enjoy them. They've got great romance but also a fantastic story.

message 21: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments Great explanation, Kelley Anne. And to confirm, Barrons does use voice. I don't want to give anything away since you haven't read FaeFever, but you are right. Reading the last 4 Highlander books would be great introduction to the Fever series. I just reach the part where the Lord Master is identified and if you read Adam Black's story, the villain will be very familiar.

message 22: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracegirl) | 15 comments Ok, thanks for expalining it for me. I will put them in my "to read" shelf.

message 23: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments **SPOILERS for Darkfever***

Ok, so I finshed Darkfever last night. I really enjoyed it! Very different from her Highlander series, but great. A few things though. I was pretty upset with her parents that they never told her that she was adopted! That is one of my HUGH pet peeves! I personally am adopted, have known since before I could understand what it meant to be adopted, and have had no problems with that. I just don't understand not telling your kids! Then when they find out, it would seem like your whole world was ripped out from under your feet! So, I was pretty upset with the way that her parents handled that. I'm sure that they felt they had their reasons, but that's just something that I think is wrong!

Yz, thanks for the hint about the Lord Master! As soon as they gave a discription of his appearance in Darkfever I knew who he was! That explains a lot. Makes you understand how Mac's sister could possibly have been dating him without realizing what he was. It's been so long though since I read The Immortal Highlander so I might have to go back later and reread it.

As for Barrons, he just keeps making me wonder! What's with this whole thing were he can fall 30 feet without getting hurt, and keeps getting on roofs and such with no apparant way up? If he is a Druid, it must be some obscure druid power that hasn't really been mentioned yet.

message 24: by Kelley Anne (last edited Jan 19, 2009 01:24PM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments **SPOILER for Bloodfever and Spell of the Highlander ***

YZ - I think that I just found another connection! This is kinda fun finding them. They are things that people that haven't read the Highlander series would miss! So there was that scene in Bloodfever where Mac and Barrons went to steal the amulet, but it had already been stolen. After searching the house, someone else showed up. Later when Barrons told Mac about the people that had showed up, he said that he'd never seen them before, that they were druids, Scots, and one of them had a bunch of tattoos to ward against black magic. That had to be Drustan, Deagus, and Cian, right? I've been wondering what those 3 were doing during this time. I mean, they would have to know that something was wrong.

message 25: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments ***Spoilers FaeFever***

Kelley Anne,

You are on the right track. So far where I'm reading it has been revealed that the McKeltars and Barrons do not like each other, and seem to be in competition in procuring the different relics. And yes, there is talk about an incident...which I think is that one you have picked up.

However, there is talk on the Keltar side, that maybe it's time they should think of joining forces because power is power.(that's Cian talking as retold by Christian)..something like that.

The question of who Barrons is, however, still hangs heavy on the air..

But, yes, the more I get into FaeFever, the more I realized how good it is that I read the Highlander books, so I can understand more the different references...

message 26: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Just a heads up, if you go onto Karen's website and sign up for her monthly newsletter, each month she is including a teaser for the next fever book.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Ach, you guys make these books sound worth reading! I started Darkfever and found it incredibly frustrating and never finished, but you make me want to read them now!
I've read all the Highlander ones. How could I pass up on a series where the MacKeltars make reappearances? They're so yummy.

message 28: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol, I listened to them on audiobook so that might make some difference. Also, you just have to be prepared for the fact that all 5 books are one main story line, so each book leaves you hanging a bit. But I loved them and can't wait for the next one!

message 29: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments I finished FaeFever a while ago, and when I was done, I was just in shocked. I cannot believe that cliffhanger ending. I keep saying over and over..."That could not be the ending of this book. She could not leave us hanging like this.."

Can't wait for the next installment.

message 30: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Yeah! That was my reaction too! I mean, if she had ended this book just a bit earlier, like when she was hiding in the closet, that would have still been quite a cliffhanger, but maybe I wouldn't be going crazy waiting for the next book!

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Alright, I give in. I'm requesting the audiobook for Darkfever right now. (That's the first one, right?)
Someone has it checked out and it's due 2/12, so I should get it in a couple weeks...

message 32: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments I listened to all the Fever books, too. Usually stories told in first person works great in audiobook format. I like listening to the Anita Blake books too, instead of reading. I also have the first book in audio for Karen Chance's Cassie Palmer series.

message 33: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol, yep Darkfever is the first one. You might want to just request all of them because if you are anything like me, you wont want to stop until you are at the end!

message 34: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I agree about the cliffhanger at the end of Faefever.. I was like no wait, there must be a page missing.

I can't wait for Dreamfever.. I don't even want to read teasers because that would drive me crazy with trying to figure out what is going to happen next. I'd rather just wait

message 35: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracegirl) | 15 comments I also agree with the cliffhanger of Faefever. I'm like nnnooo!
When is Dreamfever coming out? Does Karen even know? hehe

message 36: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments I think I will pass on the teaser unless she is giving the goods on the romance triangle I will just have to wait. There are two more books due to come out right?
This Aug and then Aug 2010?

message 37: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments I have not read the highlander series but I am looking forward to it plus it will be nice to have the entire series all done and not have to wait.

message 38: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 187 comments I love the Highlander series. Be aware that they are PNR...with emphasis on romance.

message 39: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracegirl) | 15 comments I just started listening to the first book of the Highlander series..it's pretty good.

message 40: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) I thought her Highlander series was amazing!! Some of my favorite books.

message 41: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I just requested the first highlander book through pbs. I love Moning's fever series so I hope I like the highlander series as well :)

message 42: by Nichole (DirrtyH) (last edited Feb 11, 2009 09:00AM) (new)

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Rhavenous wrote: "I only listened to Kiss of the Highlander. I really, really....oh, okay, I'll admit it; I LOVED the book."

That one was my favorite of the series.
*SPOILER ALERT*

I loved the concept of them falling in love, and then him forgetting and her having to try to seduce him and get him to fall in love with her all over again. I thought that was really cute and romantic.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Okay, I'm worried this question is going to make me seem naive and unworldly, but it's bugging me!!!

I'm listening to Bloodfever, and finished listening to Darkfever just the other day. Mac keeps talking about "righties" and "lefties" in regards to guys... she said something about wondering if a guy was a rightie or a leftie, and her sister telling her "if you can't tell, then you don't want to know." -or something like that.

Then she's run into a couple guys, and said stuff like "Oh, he's definitely a leftie" or "He's a rightie, I can tell." And it made her blush.

I have NO idea what she's talking about... is this something I'm supposed to understand? I have never heard anyone use those terms except in regards to "handedness" - and I don't think that's what she's talking about. Could someone explain?

message 44: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments hmmm.. I originally thought it referred to which hand the guy uses to masturbate with.. but now that I'm thinking about it, it could also be referring to which direction the guy's penis curves to... i'm not sure lol.

I never really thought about it.. definitely something to do with a penis or related to a penis lol!!

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Both of those things occurred to me, Jess, but I can't figure out how you would know those things just by looking at a guy... maybe I missed that day during health class in high school? lol

message 46: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments LOL!! I have no idea how you would tell it by looking.. maybe one hand looks bigger from all the excessive use??? lol

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Jess wrote: "LOL!! I have no idea how you would tell it by looking.. maybe one hand looks bigger from all the excessive use??? lol"

LOL

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Okay, it was really starting to bug me because Mac just told Jericho he was a lefty. So I did some internet searching, and someone asked that very question on Moning's web site.
Apparently it has to do with which side of his pants a guy tucks himself into... According to Moning it was a common phrase where she grew up, but I'd certainly never heard it before and it was nice to know I wasn't the only one.

I'm afraid I might be looking a little more at guys' pants from now on........

message 49: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments It refers to which side or down which pant leg a guy tucks himself.

message 50: by Kelley Anne (last edited Mar 06, 2009 01:56PM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol, sorry Nichole, you must have posted your answer right after I brought up the page and we both answered at the same time.

As for your comment about that you might be paying a bit more attention from now on, I never have before, but since reading these books, I've started to. lol It's been......interesting.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6