75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2009 Challenge) > Alyssa's 75 Books

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alyssa (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:46AM) (new)

Alyssa (lyssness) | 7 comments Okay, here goes!

1. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. 5/5 - I loved this book! It's probably my favorite of Gaiman's so far. He does both dark/urban fantasy and writing for young adults very well.

2. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. 3.5/5 - This was a fun read. I finished it in only three days. I had a few problems with the writing style and the flatness of some characters, but I still enjoyed it.

I'm currently reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I'm a little less than halfway through (on page 257) and I'm really enjoying it so far.

message 2: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1779 comments Alyssa, I was intrigued by the title "The Book Thief" when I came across it recently - I'll be anxious for your review when you finish it!

message 3: by Alyssa (last edited Jan 23, 2009 11:35AM) (new)

Alyssa (lyssness) | 7 comments 3. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. 5/5 - Amazing! I can't praise this book enough. It can be found in the YA section of bookstores and libraries, but it's mature, deep, and multi-layered enough for adults who usually stay away from the YA label. I definitely recommend this book for everyone, not just young adults. It's a different kind of Holocaust story than what I've become accustomed to reading/watching/hearing because it focuses on a young German girl who, in the beginning, is safe from Hitler's outreaching hand. I love, love, love Markus Zusak's writing style and the unique way he used Death as the narrator. Death offers an interesting perspective -- a take on the world and the humans who inhabit it as an outsider that's trying to understand them, and he has a dark, black sense of humor. I'd better stop rambling now, but The Book Thief is so good that I really could talk about it all day!

message 4: by Alyssa (last edited Jan 27, 2009 08:29PM) (new)

Alyssa (lyssness) | 7 comments 4. The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. 5/5 - I'm a sucker for young adult fantasy books that I can completely indulge and escape in. Even better when they feature strong female characters and have relevance to modern-day life in the real world. This is a wonderful book based on a Grimm's fairy tale that I thoroughly enjoyed. I'm glad the story continues in two more books and can't wait to read them!

At the moment I have three more young adult books waiting to be read -- The Outlaws of Sherwood, Fairest, and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. After them I plan to foray into some more general fiction.

message 5: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1779 comments Alyssa, that does it - I'm definitely going to read The Book Thief!

message 6: by Merri (new)

Merri Kay wrote: "Alyssa, I was intrigued by the title "The Book Thief" when I came across it recently - I'll be anxious for your review when you finish it!"

The Book Thief is one of my all time favorite books- sad topic but so well written.

message 7: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (lyssness) | 7 comments Kay, I'm anxious to hear what you think of it when you do. It's one of my favorites now!

I've been on a bit of a hiatus since I recently took a week-and-a-half vacation with my boyfriend to visit his family in NY. I always try to make time to read, but unfortunately for once in my life I was too consistently busy and tired to pick up a book! I can't believe it! Anyway, here are my latest reviews:

5. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. 4/5 - A fun, quick, and clever read. Arnold Spirit is definitely one of the most interesting characters I've ever encountered in a book. I fell in love with him, his story, and Alexie's writing style.

6. The Outlaws of Sherwood by Robin McKinley. 4/5 - Started out slow, but it picked up towards the middle. I was more interested in the other characters than Robin himself and wasn't crazy about McKinley's interpretation of him, but it was still a very good read.

7. Fairest by Gail Carson Levine. 3/5 - I loved Ella Enchanted and The Two Princess of Bamarre, so I was excited to read this and disappointed upon finishing it. I liked the concept, but it was executed poorly. It was too ridiculous and unbelievable even for a fantasy story.

I'm currently reading Queen of Camelot by Nancy McKenzie and Paper Towns by John Green, and I've just started on a couple of others.

message 8: by Maria (new)

Maria Elmvang (kiwiria) I feel cheated, I was so disappointed by The Book Thief. Not that I didn't like it, but I merely thought it was "okay" (think I gave it 3 or 4 stars), when everybody had RAVED to me about it. That's the problem with too high expectations ;-)

message 9: by Alyssa (last edited Mar 06, 2009 12:32PM) (new)

Alyssa (lyssness) | 7 comments 8. Queen of Camelot by Nancy McKenzie - 4/5
9. Paper Towns by John Green - 3/5
10. Alabaster by Caitlin R. Kiernan - 3.5/5
11. Feed by M.T. Anderson - 4/5
12. Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr - 2.5/5

Currently reading Enna Burning by Shannon Hale and Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris.