Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Accessibility Improvements to Good Reads

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Kelly | 5 comments I use what's known as a screen reader to access Good Reads. This is a software package used by people who are blind to access the web. Good reads works reasonably well but one big problem is that once I rate a book the table under My Books isn't showing the rating I've given in a way that's compatible with the screen reader. It seems there is alt text fror the different ratings I could have given but it would be helpful if the selected rating had more meaningful alt text. Here's an example of how one book rating appears from the My Books section for me. The long number is another place where alt text would help.

202454-s-1172641179  
Just Here Trying to Save a Few Lives: Tales of Life and Death from the ER (Paperback)  
Grim, Pamela  
didn't like it
it was ok
liked it
really liked it
it was amazing   
read
[edit]  
08/00  
12/08/07 
edit
remove   

message 2: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
Hi Kelly,

We are honored and frankly amazed that Goodreads works even a little on a screen reader, as we probably aren't the best at being up to the standards it requires.

You inspired us to look up the difference between the 'title' and 'alt' tags, and learn the proper usage.

The changes should be live by the morning!

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 5 comments A big thanks for fixing this. It works great now.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 5 comments Was there a recent change to Good reads? This issue seems to be back in the bookshelf listings for me.

message 5: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Can you be more specific about which field and what text you see appearing?

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 5 comments Sure, on the bookshelf listings, it is the first column of the table. I don't think there is a column heading.

For example I have a book called Tailgating sacks and Salary caps. The image now has alt text of 252509 which means that's what the screen reader reads for this column. When this issue was first fixed, the title was duplicated here. That would be better.

h

Otis wrote: "Can you be more specific about which field and what text you see appearing?"

Kelly wrote: "Was there a recent change to Good reads? This issue seems to be back in the bookshelf listings for me."

message 7: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Sorry - it appears a recent change unintentionally broke that - will have it fixed in tomorrow nights release!

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 5 comments I see this fixed now. Thanks again for the fast response.
Otis wrote: "Sorry - it appears a recent change unintentionally broke that - will have it fixed in tomorrow nights release!"