Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > Eat Pray Love.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Shannon (MissIreland) I was so disappointed with this "best seller" and stopped reading when she was in Italy. It should have been called "cry me a river" (waaa waaaa boo hoo my life sucks.

How bad can life be if you are succesful, married and have a beautiful home? The author never discloses why exactly she left her husband and life except to "find herself". I want to know what this guy did that was so bad that she had to leave. Did he have an affair with a man? Was he a slob? Kill the family goldfish? Dang it, I wanted to know.

Her narcissism made me want to "Barf, Cry and Die"...

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane  (DianeDJ) Oh no. it is my book club's selection for our January meeting; i am getting it for a Christmas present tomorrow and need to read it.

message 3: by Caroline (new)

Caroline I didn't particularly care for Eat, Pray, Love but I wouldn't belittle Elizabeth Gilbert for having depression. :/ Depression makes isn't a reasonable illness, and even if you have a successful life, are married, and have a beautiful home that doesn't always matter if you feel that way.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol | 8 comments I just started the India part of her book. I have a love/hate relationship with this book. Still trying to figure it all out, actually.

message 5: by Melody (new)

Melody (runningtune) I just started it and was all prepared to dislike the book - and so far I have been surprised. Much better than I thought it would be. One thing is (like you Caroline) some of the criticism I heard was because they couldn't believe she was so unhappy when she had "everything". But people often build up a facade to convince others they are happy, or are the perfect parent, or have the best marriage - when they are really a mess.

She is a bit pretentious though, and I don’t think I’d particularly LIKE her. But her writing and her situations are interesting (so far – I’m JUST in Italy).

She is obviously concerned about aging and loosing her good looks. I wondering how many other times she is going to try to convince us that men REALLY, REALLY are looking at her and saying things under their breath about how cute or beautiful she is – even if they are saying it in another language that she is not sure she totally understands. But I have liked plenty of books even when I did not like the main character.

But I'm still trying to figure it all out too, Carol.

message 6: by Feather (new)

Feather Stolzenbach | 2 comments I could have lived without this book. And while I understand she didn't want to disclose the nature of her divorce for the sake of the ex-husband, I did feel that it left a bit of a gaping hole in the context of the story. I know depression played a key role in that, however I noticed her depression pretty much magically disappeared rather quickly after she left her beautiful home and loving husband. Which I found hard to accept.

message 7: by Liza (new)

Liza (EPring) | 1 comments I am relieved I'm not alone in this. While reading I kept wondering if I had become even more judgmental than I think I am. She seems SO self-centered and self-involved. Also, i didn't believe a lot of the third part. Her buying a house for her "friend" was uncomfortable reading.