Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

I want to thank everyone...

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Evelynn (new)

Evelynn Passino (evpassino) | 131 comments ...who posts on this board for writing intelligently. I may not agree, but at least I know what you are trying to say.

I also follow the Twilight board and I weep for America's future when an entire topic is riddled with text-speak and lacking entirely in punctuation.

I'm not some old biddie - I'm 23. Nor am I a grammar-genius. But for God's sake, learn to use a comma!

So, thank you. I like reading what you have to say.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments lol well TY(Thank you ;) for your appreciation, although I know some of my post were horrible since my keys stick and I'm missing my a,k, and d buttons on my keyboard.

message 3: by Shay (last edited Jan 18, 2009 08:35AM) (new)

Shay (shazelwoo) | 12 comments Oh man Evelyn, I hear you. I am no grammar genius either but, jeez some of the things I read make me cringe!

EXAMPLE= (my little cousins update on myspace, she is 14) she says: "i lovge tim more then anythang i wish i could see him right now i dont thank he likes me any more :( but i well never stop loveen him"

While I silently scream in my head it T-H-I-N-K! LOL, perhaps I have issues hehehe. I am just excited that someone else feels that way about this generations lack of spelling and punctuation, and they do it purposefully. They say they are being creative...I don't understand that.

message 4: by Evelynn (new)

Evelynn Passino (evpassino) | 131 comments Shay wrote: "Oh man Evelyn, I hear you. I am no grammar genius either but, jeez some of the things I read make me cringe!

EXAMPLE= (my little cousins update on myspace, she is 14) she says: "i lovge tim mor..."

It's not creative, it's lazy. It's not even so much the texting that bothers me...I can sort of make out the phonetics (if you can call them that). The lack of punctuation is really irritating. How am I supposed to know where one thought ends and the next one begins???

message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments I am also a teacher.. and students are now using "text" speak in writing their papers. Which is frankly very depressing.

Thankfully they at least use spell check and the grammar check with Word, otherwise it would be impossible to decipher.

message 6: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 142 comments Oh My goodness Jess. I never even thought that kids would be writing papers that way. I hope you can mark them off for that!!

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) I am very picky about spelling, especially on sites that you can post on. I see ALOT of adults that can't seem to use good grammar.

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 471 comments Mod
I agree!
I'm so proud of my fellow Sookie fans with their amazing grammar!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll admit that I don't always do a good proof read of my posts, so I may very well make gramatical errors. But, I totally hear what you are saying about the Twilight groups. I really liked Twilight, although I realize the books were not literary genius, but I cannot tolerate the Twilight groups, because of the posts. The fact that most of the individuals in the groups are teenagers cannot stand as defense for the utter ridiculousness that you have to read in those groups. I was a teenager once. I don't recall having those writing issues.

message 10: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (DawnV) Can I share I caught my son using text acronyms in his paper. I had to breathe deep then explain why this is not appropriate. I mean really did you think it was a good idea to by BTW in the paper instead of by the way??

oh and Lori while I also enjoyed the twilight series..the books needed editing I mean I found mistakes and people to call Stephanie Meyers a literary genius. WOW!!

message 11: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (MaryTodd) | 19 comments I think we should blame the editors who let the mistakes get to the printer...not that I'm a HUGE Meyer fan, but she tells a good tale.

message 12: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (MaryTodd) | 19 comments Angela wrote: "I am very picky about spelling, especially on sites that you can post on. I see ALOT of adults that can't seem to use good grammar. "

I, personally, am glad there are no grammar police.
By the way, it should be adults WHO, not THAT. See, everyone makes mistakes and I'm glad kids are writing...when they get ready, their grammar will clean up and they will have a great skill. Language is a living thing...it changes and grows with the people who use it.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, there were definately mistaskes in the Twilight books, but I find mistakes in all books. I actually like to see how many pages into a book I get before I can find an error. I can't think of more than a couple of books that I haven't found mistakes in. Its been awhile since I've read the Twilight books, so I can't recall if there were an abover average number of gramatical errors.

message 14: by Evelynn (new)

Evelynn Passino (evpassino) | 131 comments Angela wrote: "I am very picky about spelling, especially on sites that you can post on. I see ALOT of adults that can't seem to use good grammar. "

I don't mean to be obnoxious, but "a lot" is two words. Since you're so picky and all... :P

Still a million times better than on the Twilight boards. I can't wait until Dead and Gone is released and people really start posting again. I miss this the Sookie boards.

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary (picadilly) | 16 comments I assume some of these posts are tongue in cheek.

message 16: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (MaryTodd) | 19 comments I don't think so.