Richard III discussion

Book Discussions > Wilkinson - The Young King ...

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments I received this e-mail from the Yahoo Richard group this morning and thought it might be interesting - given our discussion of this book yesterday.

Re: Richard III, The Young King to be: v. 1 by Jo Wilkinson
Posted by: "Sharp, Ann (GT&D)" axsc@pge.com axsc2
Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:12 am (PST)

Ann:

Anyone know what's happening? Some time ago I pre-ordered a copy of
Richard III, The Young King to be: v. 1, by Jo Wilkinson from
Amazon.com, scheduled for release in November 2008, and today they've
told me they have cancelled the order because there is no source for the
book.

Gilda:
It seems like it, because a week or so ago the link for the book changed
to this,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1848...

and now shows the publisher as Amberley, with a publishing date of
February 2009 (my pre-order shows an estimated shipping date of April
6.)

Ann:
Interesting (thank you for the link!) I particularly enjoyed
the product details -- note the Reading Level, 4-8; the page count, 336;
and the weight of the tome, 1.5 pounds.

Product Details
Reading level: Ages 4-8

Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Amberley (February 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 184868083X
ISBN-13: 978-1848680838
Product Dimensions: 9.3 x 6.3 x 1.3 inches
Shipping Weight: 1.5 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)

L.P.H.,

Ann

I am now thanking Misfit who recommended The Book Depository.

message 2: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 1139 comments Mod
Well, just wait until you have shipping confirmation OK? Besides the exchange rate I seem to recall the credit cards will whack you with a fee for the privelege of currency exchange, although it's been a couple of years - that might have changed :)

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the library will order it.

message 3: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments I have faith. Ridiculous, I know, but I am still sufficiently credulous to think I will not be abused.

Even an exchange fee will be better than getting into that pre-order morass over at Amazon USA. I hope your library is both patient and persistent and gets the book for you.

message 4: by Misfit (new)

I have faith Ikon. If they don't buy it there's always the interlibrary loan. Only thing I've ever been turned down for are two self-pubbed books.

message 5: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments I just checked. It has been shipped and to my zip+4 address!!!!! I am so excited!

message 6: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments The book is in my hands, a few hours more than seven days after I ordered it. The service is superb! I shall definitely keep The Book Depository on my short list of shopping bookmarks.

Thank you for the information, Misfit. I would not have found it without your help. ;)

message 7: by Barb (new)

Barb | 145 comments Isn't that just amazing...how do they do that, it takes longer for something to be shipped from here (NY) to California!

Happy Reading, Ikon.

Good work, Misfit.

:0)

message 8: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments I am already deeply immersed with only my yellow highlighter as a lifeline. The first chapter is rather like the 'begats' in the Old Testament. Heh!

message 9: by Misfit (last edited Jan 24, 2009 04:26PM) (new)

Ikon, good to see you enjoying yourself.

Going a little OT (or should I post this at the Plantagenet group??), I've just started Penmarric by Susan Howatch. She takes the "characters" of Henry II, Eleanor and their children and works them in to her tale in 19C Cornwall. Very good and she has two others that also take on the Plantagenets in the same way - putting the three Edwards, plus John of Gaunt into a new storyline (must read the one with J of G and Katherine). The other two are Cashelmara (sp?) and Wheel of Fortune. I think Susan's read Cashelmara.

I'm really enjoying the book so far, and love the way she's used the Mark/Henry II character. More later when I get further into it.

message 10: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments I fell for Henry II because of Peter O'Toole. I could look at him forever and when he played Henry, I was hooked. As I told Susan, I am of the sight hound persuasion. With the English monarchy, mix and match seems to work as well as anything. There is such a rich assortment of royal personages, one may fit them into almost any story line.

I am forcing myself to slow down and savour my new Richard book. I have the bad habit of swallowing a much longed for volume whole and regretting it afterwards.

You never made your comment on my identification with The Fool. Heh!

message 11: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Mon dieu! I just looked at the members listing and discovered I have made 114 comments. That is more that the combined total of most of the rest of you. Why don't you tell me to put a sock in it? I had no idea...

message 12: by MAP (new)

MAP | 181 comments Considering most of my internet-based happiness comes from seeing there are updates on the grad school message board I go to and Goodreads updates, I'm not about to tell you to shut up.

message 13: by Misfit (new)

ROFL you two are good fun. Ikon, we love listening to you. If I got tired, well hell I'd just delete the group :)

Natter away.

message 14: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Well, I have had more than forty comments from Goodreads this morning. It has been a perfectly lovely way to pass the time. You are all so kind and pleasant to be around and I learn so many things just chatting with you.

I am happily spreading the word about The Book Depository. I adore the image of hundreds and thousands of books flittering across the Atlantic into eager awaiting hands. ;)

message 15: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments I am a bit more than a third of the way through this book and am finding it excessively padded and sadly in need of an editor. There are several places where a word or words have obviously been left out and the services of a spell checker would have been useful. (Perhaps the extensive quoting from contemporary documents made an automated spell checker burdensome.) However, when I read in the passage about Richard's investiture as a Knight of the Bath that "he spent the night in vigil, silently praying before a single lighted tapir" I burst into uncontrolled laughter. The image of a chubby animal with a long nose being set afire as an object of reverence was too much for me. I hope Ms. Wilkinson will be less cavalier when she pens the second volume of this biography. ;)

message 16: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Now, his arming doublet is made of 'course' fabric which 'he worn' against his skin. Desperate need for an editor.

I wonder if this is the reason for the delay in releasing the book in the States. Perhaps they are planning to issue a cleaner edition. I have never seen so well put together a book with so many careless errors. :(

message 17: by MAP (new)

MAP | 181 comments Was it self-published?

message 18: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Apparently not. The publisher is listed as Amberley, not a name familiar to me. From the discussion in the Richard III Society I posted earlier in this thread, it seems that the publisher was changed at some point. This is so strange, seeing an important book so damnably badly edited.

message 19: by Misfit (new)

Try writing to the author and/or editor about it and see what they say. Just for fun.

message 20: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments There is no editor's name listed - shame perhaps? I shall see if I can find an address to write the author. I feel sure she would be unhappy to know how badly this reflects on her.

message 21: by Misfit (new)

No websites listed anywhere on the book for the author and publisher? In this day and age? That is odd. I tried googling the author and couldn't find anything that way. Have an address for the publisher we can google to find their site?

message 22: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Amberley was founded in 2008 as "A fresh approach to ... history publishing."

There is no list of their publications; most of the links on the site are not live; there is a distinctly amateurish feel about the page as though it is still under construction. I think they are under-capitalized and are not completely sure they know what they are doing. These are hard times worldwide for a company to try to start a business and I cannot bear t jump on them now that I know they are beginners.

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 418 comments Amberley has a website. It's fairly new, and the website itself doesn't appear to be fully operational just yet.

http://www.amberley-books.com/

Copy editing and proofreading are generally farmed out by publishers to freelancers. It doesn't seem as if the freelancer here was up to snuff.

message 24: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Misfit, it is www.amberley-books.com

That seems to be another dead end. It also gives another explanation as to why Amazon USA cannot get the book. I would be willing to bet they don't have the resources to supply Amazon's requirements. The site has the feel of a nickel and dime operation. :(

message 25: by Misfit (new)

Not much there, is there? Although I do see an email addy where you can send a note off to. Might be interesting to see their reply?

Still it's so odd for an author not to have a website and/or blog of some sort.

message 26: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Misfit wrote: "Well, just wait until you have shipping confirmation OK? Besides the exchange rate I seem to recall the credit cards will whack you with a fee for the privelege of currency exchange, although it's ..."

I recently got my credit card statement covering the time I first ordered from the UK. You are right. They charged me $.95 for converting the currency. OK I can live with that. ;)

message 27: by Misfit (new)

That's better than the charge I remember. Although I recall the CC companies got in trouble a few years ago over the way they calculated the charges and had to change practices.

message 28: by Misfit (new)

King county finally popped and bought a few copies of this. Perhaps it's the heat (several books flew yesterday) but it was a bit too dry for me. For those interested though you should be able to get it via ILL.

Richard III The Young King to be by Josephine Wilkinson

message 29: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (sycamore) | 1 comments Sorry about the problems of supply they seem to stem from a new company establishing a link with an American distributor. Likewise for the editing problems which we've ironed out in the paperback.
Jonathan, Publisher, Amberley Publishing

message 30: by Claire (new)

Claire | 38 comments Hi If you are a publisher how about tracking down Stella Riley and reissuing some of her books.They deserve a wider audience and a lot of people are scouring the internet for them