Literature & Film discussion

THE DIVINGBELL & THE BUTTERFLY

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gary (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

Gary | 5 comments i'm off to read the book, having just seen this amazing movie.

message 2: by Arctic (new)

Arctic it's a very good book and a quick read. can't wait to see the film - i've heard nothing but great things.

message 3: by Alison (new)

Alison AFI MOVIES OF THE YEAR--OFFICIAL SELECTIONS

BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD
THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY
INTO THE WILD
JUNO
KNOCKED UP
MICHAEL CLAYTON
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
RATATOUILLE
THE SAVAGES
THERE WILL BE BLOOD

message 4: by Arctic (new)

Arctic nice.

I've seen two of those (knocked up and ratatouille). My theater here doesn't get new movies very quickly. I'm wanting to see the rest though, except possibly Into The Wild.

message 5: by Alison (last edited Dec 30, 2007 07:59PM) (new)

Alison Call me elitist, or whatever you wish, but I kind of hate it when movies like Ratatouille make these lists. Granted, I haven't seen Sweeney Todd, or Atonement, (or the rat movie for that matter either), but their TRAILERS look better than the rat movie. And I thought KNOCKED UP was hilarious, and a better-than-your-average summer popcorn movie, but it just seems to be out of it's league here.

This is one thing that always bugs me about awards season: it's always apples and oranges (Little Miss Sunshine vs. Babel?). But I still like my lists, and LOVE my awards shows (bona fide awards show junkie!). And for the record, Little Miss Sunshine was better than Babel despite the apples/oranges thing.

Heather (isn't it?)...I get a few of the cool movies here for a limited time, but I'm never organized enough to get to them while they're out. So, we're in the same boat. :)

message 6: by Ed (new)

Ed | 5 comments Heard nothing but great reviews for this film...should I read the book first..learned about this book from the build-up to the movie.

message 7: by Arctic (new)

Arctic can't say for sure since i haven't seen the movie, but there's really not much if anything to spoil from the book once you know the premise.

Alison, I hear what you're saying about mixing genres in lists like this and I agree. I loved Knocked Up and Little Miss Sunshine so much though, that I think they still deserve the mentions even if they are out of place amidst all the excellent dramas out there. sometimes i wonder if good comedy isn't harder to come by than good drama.

it is Heather and I'll respond to either. Heather is just such a common name that i wanted to avoid confusion if it became an issue with multiple Heathers in a group. though i suppose it's hard to confuse a polar bear avatar.

The lone theater in Nome has one screen and shows two movies a week, changing them every Thursday. This week the choices are Fred Claus and Awake - not exactly an oscar screening hotspot, but it's better than no theater at all.

message 8: by Alison (new)

Alison Good Points, Heather. Don't ever change your photo--I always spot your polar bears immediately. So cool that you live in Alaska. Your theater sounds like the one where I grew up in Mississippi--two screens, and the movies would stay forever. E.T. showed there for like 9 months.