LDS discussion

LDS teen readers group

Comments Showing 1-50 of 133 (133 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Darkerling (new)

Darkerling the Necromancer This group is also LDS based But it is about other books (we're also starting a tennis shoes among the nephites roleplay)

Here is the link

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/5...

Hope you want to join

message 2: by ember (last edited Jan 17, 2009 09:04AM) (new)

ember (emberrayne) i love tennis shoes among the nephites

♫♪ Olivia ♪♫ | 171 comments Mod
ooh this sounds fun!
has anyone read books by jack weyland?

message 4: by ember (new)

ember (emberrayne) no

they're really good!

U eated my cookie (spongebob) | 50 comments okay im confused TENNIS SHOES AMONG THE NEPHITES

message 7: by ember (new)

ember (emberrayne) just read it its amazing

tennis shoes among the nephites is amazing?

message 9: by Jenice (new)

Jenice | 27 comments It is a really good series we would listen to it on road trips.

message 10: by Jade (new)

Jade Lexi read it I think, did you Lexi? I want to read it so bad!

aaah i see..

message 12: by ember (new)

ember (emberrayne) i listen to it all the time

well, i should probably read it then..
:)

message 14: by Jenice (new)

Jenice | 27 comments Its jolly good.

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara I love the series Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites (by Christ Heimerdinger <-- I love typing his name!) 'cause the stories are interesting but I learned a ton. Olivia, you've got to read them. BTW, does anyone know when the next one's coming out?

i should read them!
i just have to find my copy...

message 17: by Jade (new)

Jade lol

message 18: by Jade (new)

Jade IDK Lexi, Letters couldn't really capture my attention, do you want them back?????????????????

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate Oh my heck! I read The Secret Journal of Brett Colton and it was amazing! Haha...... I like how that message was posted in january...and I'm posting about it in May.... oh well! It's an amazing book!

message 20: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) hahahaha

i love that book kate!!!

Alexis wrote: "Um... how many tennis shoes books are there?"

like 16 i'm not even kidding!

i am doing a monologue for drama tryouts, and i found this one and liked it, i want to know what everyone else thinks. yay or nay?
here it is:
LIPOCHKA: What a pleasant occupation these dances are! Very good indeed! What could be more delightful? You go to the assembly, or to somebody's wedding, you sit down, naturally, all beflowered like a doll or a magazine picture. Suddenly up runs a gentleman: "May I have the happiness, miss?" Well, you see, if he's a man of wit, or a military individual, you accept, drop your eyes a little, and answer: "If you please, with pleasure!" Ah! [Warmly:] Most fas-ci-nat-ing! Simply beyond understanding! [Sighs:] I dislike most of all dancing with students and government office clerks. But it's the real thing to dance with army men! Ah, charming! Ravishing! Their mustaches, and epaulets, and uniforms, and on some of them even spurs with little bits of bells. Only it's killingly tiresome that they don't wear a sabre. Why do they take it off? It's strange, plague take it! The soldiers themselves don't understand how much more fascinatingly they'd shine! If they were to take a look at the spurs, the way they tinkle, especially if a uhlan or some colonel or other is showing off--wonderful! It's just splendid to look at them--lovely! And if he'd just fasten on a sabre, you'd simply never see anything more delightful, you'd just hear rolling thunder instead of the music. Now, what comparison can there be between a soldier and a civilian? A soldier! Why, you can see right off his cleverness and everything. But what does a civilian amount to? Just a dummy. [Silence:] I wonder why it is that so many ladies sit down with their feet under their chairs. There's positively no difficulty in learning how! Although I was a little bashful before the teacher, I learned to do it perfectly in twenty lessons. Why not learn how to dance? It's only a superstition not to. Here mamma sometimes gets angry because the teacher is always grabbing at my knees. All that comes from lack of education. What of it? He's a dancing-master and not somebody else. [Reflecting:] I picture to myself: suddenly a soldier makes advances to me, suddenly a solemn betrothal, candles burn everywhere, the butlers enter, wearing white gloves; I, naturally, in a tulle or perhaps in a gauze gown; then suddenly they begin to play a waltz--but how confused I shall be before him! Ah, what a shame! Then where in the world shall I hide? What will he think? "Here," he'll say, "an uneducated little fool!" But, no, how can that be! Only, you see I haven't danced for a year and a half! I'll try it now at leisure. [Waltzing badly:] One--two--three; one--two--three . .

message 24: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) yea!!!

message 25: by Sierra (new)

Sierra | 156 comments Ok, I'm new here...Just so u guys know.....and i am not in the mood to read all of that.......i will sometime though don't worry Olivia!!!

message 26: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) its good

message 27: by Sierra (new)

Sierra | 156 comments did she write it?

message 28: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) no, its from a play...or something

message 29: by Sierra (new)

Sierra | 156 comments hmmmmm...cool!

message 30: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . .sorry, random, i know.

Sierra wrote: "Ok, I'm new here...Just so u guys know.....and i am not in the mood to read all of that.......i will sometime though don't worry Olivia!!!"

You don't have to read it, it's a monologue I was thinking about using for drama tryouts. No I didn't write it.

message 32: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments hm

message 33: by Kate (new)

Kate If you guys can get your hands on a Jack Weyland book- READ IT! The man's a genius!

message 34: by Sierra (new)

Sierra | 156 comments Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....i know!!! It is random to do that hah!!!

message 35: by Sierra (new)

Sierra | 156 comments ember wrote: "i love tennis shoes among the nephites"

I am reading it right now and it has turned out to be really cool!!!

Kate wrote: "If you guys can get your hands on a Jack Weyland book- READ IT! The man's a genius! "

haha i know!! except for lots of his books have the same plot, but a little different. but i do enjoy reading his books.

message 37: by Kate (new)

Kate Really?? I love the book "Lean on me"
You guys should read his motivational books too.
They're like, John Bytheway, old school!

message 38: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments I don't really like how Jack Weyland makes a lot of his books sad.

message 39: by Kate (new)

Kate Well Babe, that's life!
It depends on what book of his you read though. I need to re-read some of them. "Lean on me" was a happy book from what I remember. Right?

message 40: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments The reason I don't like sad books is because life is already sad so we don't need even more depression weighing us down! That's how seriously I take books!

message 41: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments Alexis wrote: "OMGOSH i loved tennis shoes among the nephites. should i read the rest? ya... you guys should TOTALLY READ IT! have any of u read the secret journal of brett colton? it is an LDS book 2. If not, lo..."

The Secret Journal of Brett Colton is one of my fave books!!!! I didn't think I'd like it cuz it's sorta sad but my friend begged me to read it and I did and I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 42: by Kate (new)

Kate How can you like Secret Journal of Brett Colton if you don't like sad books?? Hmm...maybe I need to read it again. I think I came close to crying in that book. I've NEVER cried while reading a book. The book I came closest to crying is "The Sound of Rain" By:Anita Stansfield. She is an amazing author!

I kind of like sad books. I don't like ubberly depressing books, but I don't mind them.

message 43: by Abbigail (new)

Abbigail Nielsen (Abberz) | 177 comments I cried while reading Secret Journal of Brett Colton! But that's probably just because I'm a big baby! I cry when I read sad books a lot! Thank goodness I wasn't reading Secret Journal of Brett Colton during school or I would have been bawling in the middle of one of my classes!!!! :D

message 44: by Savannah (new)

Savannah (namesavannah-catcherinsoftball) I cried in the Sound of Rain...But i cry really easily...I love Anita Stansfield...She's my fav. author!

I love sad books. Not overly depressing, but endings that will make me cry. The secret journal of Brett Colton i ALMOST cried, but I think if I read it again I would cry. If you want a good heart lifting but sad movie, watch Charly.

message 46: by Kate (new)

Kate I never cry while reading books, but I will cry while watching movies. Especially if it's the first time I've seen them. After that if I watch them again I won't cry. I've only seen two movies that have made me cry more than once. Charly and West Side Story.

Anita Stansfield is my favorite author too!

message 47: by Sierra (new)

Sierra | 156 comments Ok, I have only started crying lately and the books that made me cry were Bridge to Terebithia (REALLY SAD!!!), Each Little Bird That Sings (Awesome by the way), and Blue Heron. They all just made me let out a few tears....Bridge to Terebithia the Movie makes me cry too every once and a while.

message 48: by Savannah (new)

Savannah (namesavannah-catcherinsoftball) Ya

message 49: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lyonessrampant) ohkay

message 50: by Sierra (new)

Sierra | 156 comments okay what?

« previous 1 3