Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > JlJ's 50 in 2009

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments I'm starting again this year.

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 1. Second Treatise on Civil Government- John Locke

message 3: by Jamie (last edited May 17, 2009 07:00AM) (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 2. Pox Americana- Elizabeth Fenn

I actually quite enjoyed this book. I had read about Small Pox in North America before but this books goes more directly into the impacts of the disease on the American Revolution as well as Native populations.

Four Stars

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 3. Common Sense- Thomas Paine

Propaganda but interesting none the less. It is intriguing to read about the revolution when they are still arguing over reconciliation or independence.

Three and and Half Stars.

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 4. Shane-Jack Schaefer

Read for a literature class. I had no expectations going in but enjoyed reading it. I would not say though that there was anything in this novel that I will carry with me.

Three and a Half Stars; perhaps Three.

message 6: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 5. Expedition from Canada- John Burgoyne

Read for class- fascinating testimony after the surrender at Saratoga.

message 7: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 6. American Scripture- Pauline Maier

I loved this book, it is a great background on the Declaration of Independence.

7. Their Eyes Were Watching God- Zora A. Hurston

This was not as good as I expected. I'm glad I read it but it didn't change my life.

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 8. Revolutionary Road- Richard Yates

Unflinching.

message 9: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 9. Letters from the Battlefront- Virginia Schomp
10. Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald

message 10: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 11. The Iriquois and the American Revolution- Barbara Graymont

message 11: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments tip of the hat to 10+1!

message 12: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 12. The Glass Menagerie- Tennessee Williams
13. The American Revolution in Indian Country- Colin Calloway

message 13: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 14. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao- Junot Diaz

Good, not great. I expected something wondrous. I could have gone my whole life without reading this book and probably not have missed much.

message 14: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 15. Water for Elephants- Sara Gruen

Bad, bad, bad. I can't believe I stuck with that. The upside is the book was an easy, mindless read. One star.

message 15: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 16. The Awakening- Kate Chopin

I read this book for my American Lit class and I really enjoyed it. It is not something that I would have picked up on my own but I do feel enriched for having experienced it. Lovely read.

message 16: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 17. The God of Small Things-Arundhati Roy

Amazing. Beautifully written, powerful, haunting, moving, and soft; it is all those things.

message 17: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 18. Winesburg, Ohio-Sherwood Anderson
19 Puritan Boston and Quaker Pennsylvania- E. Digby Balzell

message 18: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 20. Atlas Shrugged- Ayn Rand

An accomplishment read. Done.

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 21. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn- Mark Twain

message 20: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 22. A Farewell to Arms- Ernest Hemmingway.
Great- of course.

23. The elegance of the Hedgehog- Murial Barbery
I was expecting something huge. It was not. I'd give it three and a half stars if I had the choice.

message 21: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 24. American Creation- Triumphs and Tragedies at the founding of the Republic: Joseph J. Ellis

Three Stars- a lot of basic information with no new revelations. It was good and easy.

message 22: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 25. How the Irish Became White-Noel Ignatiev

message 23: by Mary Todd (new)

message 24: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 26. Notes on the State of Virginia- Thomas Jefferson
27. Daughters of the Shtetl- Susan Glenn

Both were readings for Summer Courses. I'm glad to have read Jefferson in Jefferson's word. His views on race are well known but still startling to read firsthand.

message 25: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 28. Strangers in the Land: Patterns of American Nativism 1860-1925- John Higham

School book but ultimately worth my time. It is a social history of how nativists tendencies grew into a racist ideology.

message 26: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 29. From Sicily to Elizabeth Street: Housing and Social Change among Italian Immigrants- Donna Gabaccia.

message 27: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 30. The Good Earth- Pearl S. Buck

I'm happy to have read this book but I wasn't the best thing I have ever read. Good, bordering on almost great, not excellent.

Three and a half stars.

message 28: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 31. Portable Thomas Jefferson
32. In Pursuit of Reason-Noble Cunningham
33. the Hemingses of Monticello- Annette Gordon-Reed
34. Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings- An American Controversy
35. Mongrel Nation-Clarence Walker

message 29: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 36. Summer 1787- David Stewart
37. American Creation- Joseph Ellis
38. The Great Upheaval- Jay Winik

The Great Upheaval was outstanding, by far my favorite from this group. It covers the decade from 1788-1800 in the United States, France, and Russia. Fascinating period and wonderfully written.

message 30: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 39. A Magnificent Catastrophe- Edward J. Larson

Election of 1800- great book. Four Stars.

message 31: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 40. The Republic of Suffering-Death and the American Civil War- Drew Gilpin Faust.

This was a book I just happened upon and it was wonderful. A very unique, and intimate study of the Civil War dead.

message 32: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 41. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close- Jonathan Safran Foer

This is a re-read but I must say, I LOVE this book. I had given it to a friend and hearing him talk about it made me want to read it again. This book has touched me. I recommend it to everyone.

message 33: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 42. The Lost Symbol- Dan Brown.

The worst book I've ever read.

message 34: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 43. Tree Grows in Brooklyn-Betty Smith

Four Stars.

Wonderful book- a true delight.

message 35: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 44. The Help-Katherine Stockette

Four Stars- loved it.

message 36: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 45. A Heartbreaking work of Staggering Genius- David Eggers.

I had heard wonderful things about this book and only found it mildly entertaining. I'm glad I read it but I can't think of anything from this book that will stay with me.

Three Stars.

message 37: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 46. To Begin the World Anew: Politics and the Creative Imagination- Bernard Bailyn

The book was good but very short. There were two good chapters, one on Jefferson and one on Franklin and Diplomacy. The book left me wanting more. I did enjoy the short introduction to Atlantic History.

Three Stars.

message 38: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 47. The Jamestown Project- Karen Ordahl Kupperman

Great Book. It is more about European Colonization in the new world in general than the Jamestown Colony specifically. It was well written and the material was fascinating. Highly enjoyable. I can say I know much more about the first permanent settlement in North America than I did five days ago.

message 39: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 48. Twilight.

I'm embarrassed. That is all.

message 40: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 49. A Christmas Carol- Charles Dickens.

message 41: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jlynnd1977) | 396 comments 50. Her Fearful Symmetry- Audrey Niffenegger.

Bad.