Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Favorite Chicklit Vamp Series?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

Laura (laurastamps) I'm really getting hooked lately on vampy paranormal romance series with funny chicklit humor. Katie MacAlister's "The Dark Ones" series is to blame for this (grin). Does anyone have a favorite vamp series with chicklit humor? Some of my friends have suggested Tate Hallaway and Michelle Rowan. I haven't read these series yet. Has anyone else? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

message 2: by Freda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Freda (arkie_fallenangel) | 9 comments I would also suggest Mary Janice Davidson's "Undead and ..." series. Betsy, queen of the vampires, is a riot!

message 3: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Laura (laurastamps) I agree. I am a big fan of Sookie, and even liked the vamp story about her in the vamp anthology "Many Bloody Returns." Like everyone I am waiting for "All Together Dead" to come out in paperback.

Thanks for mentioning Mary Janice Davidson. I have already bought two novels in her "Queen Betsy" series to try, and they are in my TBR stack. Glad to know you like them!!

message 4: by Elle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Elle Mitchell (emitchellwrites) | 12 comments Yes indeed, the Undead series and the Sookie series are in my top three. I don't know if is completely considered a "chick lit" but Jennifer Armintrout's series is a-m-a-z-i-n-g. I am looking forward to reading MacAlister's books as well though.

message 5: by Elle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Elle Mitchell (emitchellwrites) | 12 comments Oh and as for "All Together Dead," it was the best other than the original I think. I hate hardback but I couldn't wait (I had just found the series a few months before and was zooming through them!).

message 6: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Laura (laurastamps) Hi, Buffy (big wave!)--

I agree. I liked the first one too...it's my second favorite. But my favorite in the series is the one where Eric lost his memory and was a really nice guy for a change. I think that was the fourth book? Anyway, I have heard really good things about "All Together Dead," so I'm glad you liked it too. Makes me a happy woman, because I wasn't crazy about the last novel in the series (the one with the tiger on the cover).

Thanks for letting me know about Jennifer Armintrout's series. I don't have that one yet, so it is going on my TBR list pronto!

message 7: by Shannon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Shannon  (giraffe_days) The only one I can think of is Lynsay Sands' Argeneau Vampire family series. They're very funny, especially Single White Female, as well as very sexy. Sands has a very original take on the vampire legend and it works well. I've read almost all of them; they're very addictive and quick to read, and the characters are great.

message 8: by Nicole (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 24 comments I'm running right through these books I love them so much. I have a ton of books on hold till I finish the series. Does anyone know if the author is working on any new Sookie books?

message 9: by Shannon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Shannon  (giraffe_days) Are the Armintrout books that good? I keep picking them up and then putting them back again. Someone give me a push?

message 10: by Elle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Elle Mitchell (emitchellwrites) | 12 comments I loved them!!!

message 11: by Elle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Elle Mitchell (emitchellwrites) | 12 comments Hey Laura! :)

The one you are talking about wasn't my favorite of the series either but I love them all.

Definitely add Jennifer, I wasn't sure - I picked the book up on a whim at a used book store (the lady that owns the store is a friend of mine and she bought it for herself to read and as soon as she finished it was mine!). It was amazing, she agreed, but she doesn't collect her books like I do.

message 12: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Laura (laurastamps) Thanks, Buffy!

I was at my local B&N yesterday and looked for Jennifer's books, but they didn't have her series. No problem. They can order them for me. In the meantime I started "Dark Lover" by J.R. Ward, and hope to read through that series. Not chick-lit, but it looks really good!

message 13: by Elle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Elle Mitchell (emitchellwrites) | 12 comments Yeah that series is on my TBR list, let me know how is it!

message 14: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (giraffe_days) I love the J.R. Ward series. I think you'll enjoy them Laura!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Erin McCarthy’s Vegas Vampire series is hilarious. I really like her non-paranormal chic lit to. Heiress for hire is a must read.

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurastamps) Buffy, you will LOVE the J.R. Ward novel series. I just finished the first one, and it is awesome! I can see why everyone raves about it. I am off to post a review of the first novel (Dark Lover) now, and then I am going to stop by my local B&N this morning and buy the rest of the books in the series. Yes, add this series to your TBR list...you won't be disappointed!

Thanks, Shannon, I am going to check out Erin McCarthy's Vegas Vamp series. Sounds just like the PNR chicklit I love to read (grin)!

message 17: by Summer (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:34AM) (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments Stephanie Meyer's series is definitely a must. It is technically "young adult," but it's incredible: Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse. (I actually just found out that they're turning Twilight into a movie, which I'm sure will be awesome!)

The Sookie Stackhouse series and Jennifer Armintrout's books are all good. Armintrout can be a little tough to get into, but I think it's worth it.

Patricia Briggs' series is great--its protagonist is a coyote-shapeshifter.

And I've newly discovered and devoured Kimberly Raye's vampire series: Dead End Dating, Dead and Dateless, and the newest, Your Coffin or Mine? They are hilarious!

I've been pretty devoted to Laurell K. Hamilton, although she's not the *most* entertaining one. She still tells a good story.

And I LOVE Kim Harrison's Dead Witch Walking series--absolutely MUST read!

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen (mansiongal) | 10 comments I'm glad to see someone mentioned Kim Harrison. I definitely love her series -- Rachel Marianna Morgan is great!
I'm a huge Laurell K. fan and don't agree with any of the criticism I've read of the Anita Blake series. As far as I'm concerned, the sex is hot and when it's that good, there's no such thing as too much.
Queen Betsy (MJD) is hysterical and Sookie is on my must-read list as well.
I'm part way through "Single White Vampire" and am not enjoying it at all. I read that it's the worst of her Family Argeneau series, so I'll give someone else's story a chance.
Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series is another favorite of mine and wasn't mentioned here, although vamps really aren't the main characters in that one, so that may be why.

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather (fantasy_mom) | 28 comments I'm a huge Laurell K Hamilton fan - I am now re-reading the entire Anita Blake series - and I also adore and have read twice the Merry Gentry series. I just bought the latest Rachel Morgan book by Kim Harrison, but I haven't read it yet. I hope it's good! :)

message 20: by Carla (new)

Carla I've read every author listed in the thread so far. I've enjoyed them all. Here are a few series authors that may be of interest:

Sherrilyn Kenyon
Mary Janice Davidson
Jim Butcher (not romance but fantastically entertaining paranormal fantasy)
Lara Adrian
Keri Arthur
Carrie Vaughn
Alex Archer
Yasmine Galenorn

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I didn't see Kathy Love mentioned here. She's got a series out about 3 vamp brothers and their sister. There are 4 books now, one for each in the family. Very funny titles, like I Only Have Fangs For You and Fangs For the Memories.

I also watch for new releases by Colleen Gleason. She has a series where the main character is a female vampire slayer back in the 1880's. I was very skeptical of this series because of my love for all things Buffy/Angel, but I really enjoy these books. The series is called The Gardella Vampire Chronicles.

message 22: by Diane (new)

Diane | 7 comments I really liked both Hallaway and Rowan. Casa Dracula was pretty good but different. I abbreviated the title can't remember the whole thing, but there are two out. Lynsay Sands has a good vampire series too.

message 23: by Innerpeace1081 (new)

Innerpeace1081 | 4 comments Sands' series is the Argeneau series and it is amazing. I love many of the ones listed here -Davidson and Love. I would add Kerrylyn Sparks series- being with How to marry a Millionaire vampire... it was hilarious. I can not think of any more series but a few titles- What to do with a nake elf and A greek god at the Local Lady's club... they were very funny.

message 24: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andiesmith) all of them! lol

i start start undead and unwed i can see i am going to like it.

message 25: by Mia (new)

Mia (miatira) | 2 comments I haven't read the Sookie series, but I've read quite a few mentioned above. My favorite by far is the Kim Harrison - Rachel Morgan series. I agree 100% w/ Karen - they take a little longer, but definitely stay with you. Still trying to get over FAFDM.
I've also thoroughly enjoyed LKH's Anita Blake series, although lately every book is like a thousand pages, they go by fast.

If you're looking for a comedy, I'd reco MJD's Undead series - it definitely fits the bill. I've read all of them and each one was a great mix of fun and steam.

message 26: by Summer (last edited Feb 16, 2008 09:11PM) (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments I love Kimberly Raye's Dead End Dating series. It's hilarious and the sexual tension is really well done.

The books so far in order are:

Dead End Dating
Dead and Dateless
Your Coffin or Mine?

message 27: by Nanci (new)

Nanci (bookwoman3966) | 6 comments I love Lynsay Sands Argenue family series. I can also recommend Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series. Two new series I've enjoyed are Michele Barsley's Broken Heart, Oklahoma series (boy, what a hoot!) and Kimberly Raye's Dead End Dating series.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

New Moon (other topics)