Stephen King Fans discussion

Other Books (Non-King) > I've been preaching this book to many...

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 17 comments "Nature's End" It is something everyone should read. I've already done a fair bit of discussing this book, as I've written a review and made a post regarding it in my own gorup.

Feel free to check those out, and let me know what you think or if you have any questions. I'd love to hear from others who have read it.

message 2: by Steve (new)

Steve | 246 comments Question---WHAT IS THIS BOOK ABOUT, AND WHY SHOULD KING READERS CARE? Thanks.

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 17 comments The book is about the doomed future of humanity. It is done in a documentary style, i.e. written from a first person/eye witness perspective. King readers would like this because the authors develop characters in much the same way he does. It also has the believability that readers can see in Kings writings. This novel is scary because of how near the type of events described in the book are. It has the streingth to make anyone think about human population increases, as well as environmental issues.

message 4: by Mike (new)

message 5: by Steve (last edited Jan 26, 2009 01:35PM) (new)

Steve | 246 comments Ah...Whitley Streiber, the Communion guy. I don't usually read scifi, but I do understand where you are coming from with this. My curiosity has been peaked because of the 1986 aspect (where we were, and where we've come) as well as 1st person POV. It'll go on my to-read.

In that regard, I would recommend to you (and anyone) The Boomer Bible by R.F.Laird, for some of the same reasons. The Boomer Bible by R. F. Laird , but on a much more scathingly humorous level. :)

message 6: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 17 comments The 1986 aspect you mention is what blew me away. I still conjure up images from this book in my sleep.

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 17 comments Ha. I made it through Communion, and its first follow p, Transformation. Even I find it hard to believed he co-wrote Natures End...I wonder if the visitors aided his research. ;P

message 8: by A.R. (last edited Jan 29, 2009 09:42AM) (new)

A.R. (arbraun) I LOVE Whitley Streiber! The only thing I've read was an audiobook version of The Wolfen read by Roddy McDowell. I was very impressed. I want to read more.

message 9: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 17 comments I need to check out Warday..I've heard good things about it.

message 10: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 17 comments He really is a good writer. He makes plots believable.