Beantown Bookworms discussion

let's try this again: shall we meet up?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roy (new)

Roy (newenglandhiker) | 18 comments Having "only" been back in the Boston area for a year adn part of this group for less, I hadn't heard of this but would participate. For me, it would be better to establish a book that we read (say over the month of February) and then meet in early March, as Cat suggests, to discuss it. Finding a book of interest to enough people to participate could be a challenge but nominations could be accepted, votes taken, and the winner selected. I do this on line with other groups and it has expanded my horizons to books that I hadn't read but now know I should have. Keeping with the theme of the group, how about books about Boston, banned in Boston, something to do with beans, or a related topic? As for meeting, I vote for a coffee shop (is there a better combination than coffee -- or tea -- and a book?) where we could sit and chat. So, in short, here's a vote for the select-and-read-a-book-meet-to-discuss-it-at-a-coffee-shop get-together (hyphens aded for Cat's benefit).

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Gillespie (scottg) Sure! My wife and I just joined a local book club (South Boston) but I'd like a chance to meet other bookish Bostonians for some face-to-face chat. Either day suggested would be fine.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelliveshere) Having everyone show up to discuss a conglomeration of random books sounds a bit confusing. Well, to be honest, it sounds like it would turn into a book report kind of thing. (So, Susie what book did you read? Please tell us about it? You're next, Tom, so get ready.)

Perhaps if we narrowed the topic a bit? For example, if we all read books about Southie, we could have a fun discussion about Southie, that would be informed by our books, without having to just each explain what our particular book was.

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz (hissheep) I'm game if I can find the WHERE? I live north of Boston but don't relish trying to find a parking space in the city. I haven't used the "T" in ages but, I'm a big girl now, so probably could make it into North Station and ...

Is there a particular book to discuss or will we simply talk about what we've read or are reading?

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott Gillespie (scottg) Bad news: I must decline attending this Sunday's meeting. I really wanted this to happen, but...

So sorry about this and will do my best to make the next meeting.