European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Discussions > Habsburgs/Hapsburgs

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donald (new)

Donald (donroc) | 49 comments Am I the only one here who is interested in the Spanish Habsburgs of the 16th and 17th centuries?

We make jokes about inbreeding in the USA south, but know this about the Spanish Habsburgs. Philip II married his niece. Their son Philip III married his 1st cousin. Their son Philip IV married his niece. Their son Charles II was the last Spanish Habsburg.

My newly available novel, ROCAMORA, is set mostly at the court of Philip IV. My Historical MC was the confessor and spiritual director for the teenage sister of Philip IV and only five years older than she. Later he became a Jew, a physician, and father of nine in Amsterdam.

For those interested more in British history, I do cover the Prince of Wales' comedic courtship of the Infanta.

message 2: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 83 comments That sounds fascinating and I'll definitely look for it! Thanks!

message 3: by Aimee (new)

Aimee | 11 comments I have always been intersted in the Habsburgs. I discovered that little twist of inbreeding several years ago and have found it horrifyingly fascinating ever since.

I will have to look for your book it sounds like a good read.

message 4: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I agree about the inbreeding being horribly fascinating. Looking at some of those family trees is shocking! Thanks for letting us know about your novel Donald!

message 5: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 85 comments I became interested in the Spanish Hapsburgs while I was reading about the Spanish painter Velasquez. I wanted to know more about that strange ugly family in most of Velasquez's paintings.

truely an interesting family tree. More of an example of why you shouldnt marry within your own gene pool.

message 6: by Donald (new)

Donald (donroc) | 49 comments Louis XIV, whose mother was Philip IV's sister Anne, also married his first cousin, who was Philip IV's daughter María Teresa.

message 7: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 85 comments At least the Bourbons had a little more variety in their bloodline.
Louis XIV's grandson became the first Spanish "Borbon" King when the Spanish Hapsburgs became extinct.

message 8: by Donald (new)

Donald (donroc) | 49 comments An earlier connection Hapsburg-Bourbon connection: The double wedding of future Philip IV with his first wife Elizabeth de Bourbon daughter of Henry IV and Marie de Medecís and his sister Anne to Henry's heir future Louis XIII. Elizabeth then changed her name to Isabel. Charles Stuart wed her sister Henrietta Maria after he failed in his wooing of Infanta María.

For more information about ROCAMORA please visit www.donaldmichaelplatt.com

message 9: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 26 comments I love the Habsburgs, though I'm more into the Austrians one but I'll definitely check out the book!

message 10: by Donald (new)

Donald (donroc) | 49 comments Yes, Jenna, the Austrians also are interesting. I found the Infanta María and her youngest brother, Cardinal-Infante Fernándo, to be the most interesting of the 17th century Spanish Hapsburgs.

The Count-Duke de Olivares described Infanta María as "that block of ice" yet she honored my MC and showered him with gifts according my my research.

message 11: by Jenna (last edited Jan 19, 2009 09:00AM) (new)

Jenna | 26 comments I saw a good exhibitons on paintings and art of (during the reign of) the Spanish Habsburgs a few months ago, that made me want to learn more about that era

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 378 comments Where was the exhibit, Jenna?

message 13: by Donald (new)

Donald (donroc) | 49 comments I saw on a web site "Olga" (all I remember) two pages of paintings by Velázquez that included Infanta María and Philip IV.

message 14: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 26 comments Boston.--sort of related, anyway -- but there was some good portraiture, etc.

"A vivid, often passionate picture of Spain at the dawn of the 17th century...Putting these two geniuses in context with their contemporaries charts a fascinating progression." —Cate McQuaid, Boston Globe

View a slideshow of works from "El Greco to Velázquez: Art during the Reign of Philip III."

This groundbreaking exhibition examines a fascinating period (1598–1621) bracketed by the two giants of Spanish painting, El Greco and Velázquez. Discover the masterpieces of Philip III’s court and the artists who flourished during his reign.

To separate themselves from Philip II’s approach to governing, Philip III and his court "issued in a new style of grandeur" (in the words of their contemporary Gil González d’Avila), where gala celebrations, elaborate religious fiestas, building campaigns, and picture collecting were the order of the day. Much of the art produced at and for the court reflected this style, replacing the austere art created for Philip II with a more naturalistic and emotionally expressive art that became the hallmark of Philip III’s reign.

"El Greco to Velázquez: Art during the Reign of Philip III" features paintings, sculpture, and decorative arts—including a partial recreation of the camarín of the Duke of Lerma, the most important non-royal collector in Europe at the time and the favorite of Philip III—organized around themes such as portraiture, religion and the court, and the birth of still life.

Learn more about the contemporary Spanish works in the complementary exhibition "Antonio López García," which was on view Apr 13–Jul 27, 2008.

http://www.mfa.org/exhibitions/sub.as...

message 15: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Oh, Velazquez did that painting of the Infanta Margarita that's at the Prado in Spain! Sorry, I saw that painting when I was there years ago (I remembered that it was a Velazquez, but I had to google it to figure out who it was of), but I didn't realize until now that she was a Spanish Hapsburg.

message 16: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 85 comments Its a beautiful painting: Las Meninas

message 17: by Donald (new)

Donald (donroc) | 49 comments Philip IV and his siblings are described as Flemish in coloring. They are blond in their portraits, perhaps reddish blond in real life.