Gig Harbor AP Language Reads The Great Gatsby discussion

Seven

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited Jan 16, 2009 07:17PM) (new)

Michael Bouterse | 20 comments Mod
Wow. Chapter 7 was really important. Help me figure it out; it's too much to take in all at once. Possible questions:

1. Who* deserves pity? Tom? Myrtle? Gatsby? Daisy? Wilson? Carraway?

2. What is the significance of Myrtle? Is she an innocent?

3. How have the events in this chapter altered the relationships between characters?

*Ack!

message 2: by Myke (new)

Myke (SarahPalin) | 7 comments (off-topic question: I have always been slightly mystified by the difference between "who" and "whom." I understand that "who" is a subject and "whom" is an object... Is "whom" not the subject of question #1? If it is, wouldn't it be "who"? I am curious, because my understanding of the uses of who/whom is pretty sketchy...)

message 3: by Michael (new)

Whoa. You caught me. I think it should be "who."

message 4: by Myke (last edited Jan 16, 2009 09:56PM) (new)

Myke (SarahPalin) | 7 comments Myrtle is not an innocent. She seems, to me, to be one of the least innocent characters (I think she is the least likable female character, in fact)...

Her husband is a poor, weird man. He is sort of low down in society as it is and he is a helpless individual. His garage and his Myrtle are the only things he has.

Myrtle doesn't care at all. She destroys him by cheating on him - and she doesn't even care!

It kills me to see how Myrtle's cheating affects George - the man loses his mind when he finds out she has been unfaithful!... She is so mind-blowingly selfish. Grrr. I hate her.

message 5: by Josh (new)

Josh | 8 comments Having finished the book, I think Daisy is the worst person. She almost makes Myrtle look innocent, but of course she is not.

Wilson should be pitied for the moment.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Whoa! You read it? Brilliant. I'd chat a bit more but I've gotta go do stuff with our Chinese buddies.